• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Passages, Alleyways Gulletts and Snickets of Old Brum

Thanks Richie. So the Royal Hotel frontage on Temple Row was dramatically altered from the original c1800 plain, Georgian design. Viv.

Was " The Cobden " the teetotal temperance society hotel with a bar that only served tea, coffee, other hot beverages or soft drinks ?
Also in that run of shops I remember being taken to a rather nice mens outfitters called "The Donn " and no I am not confusing it with Dunns the other somewhat upmarket hatters and outfitters.

JennyAnn - was the Donn the outfitters shop that used to sell school uniforms? I seem to remember my mother taking me and my sister there for some clothes when we were young.

Judy

It probably did, I was about 6 or 7 when that block was demolished, I was taken to the shop in 1957 or 58 to get a cap as I remember, it was very traditional, like "Are you being served" type sales with everything kept in drawers behind the counters. I think it moved up to Islington Row off Five Ways but then sort of drifted into oblivion. Cheers for the link on the Cobden Jennyann, glad I wasn't going saft

I passed the Cobden many, many times when I visited The Midland Educational store nearby. The M Ed was a favourtite haunt of mine and if it was still there - as so was I - I guess I would know every inch of the place. I did not know of the history of the Cobden; being too young to be acquainted with hotels but I guess anyone desperate for a drink could pop down to Yates Wine Lodge (another place I was too young to visit) also further down the road.

Post 964, of this thread, by Jennyann gives a little history of The Cobden and its subsequent move.

JennyAnn - was the Donn the outfitters shop that used to sell school uniforms? I seem to remember my mother taking me and my sister there for some clothes when we were young.

Judy

On doing a bit of checking I think I have the spelling wrong, it was Donne, my submission on this is based on a planning application from 2004 to demolish a commercial building on Islington Row that was called DONNE House, the location approximates to where the shop moved after the demolition of the Corporation St store.

Hi Paul: You are correct the shop was called "The Donne" and as Jayell mentioned the shop sold school uniforms as well as being a men's outfitters. My school in 1953 was on the corner of Martineau Street and Corporation Street and the streetscape along Corporation Street that contained all those old shops, etc. was still in place. I remember the beer smell from the street of Yates' Wine Lodge. It was very exciting for a 12 years old girl to be let loose in Brum at that time. The school Lawrence's College didn't mind it's pupils going out at lunchtime as long as they returned for classes in the afternoon so for someone like myself who at that time carried the nickname "Roamer" by my family it was a challenge to explore the streets as much as possible. Alan, very often my classroom was opposite the Midland Educational shop as the College was on the first and second floors. Another shop that captured my attention very often.

Last edited:
Donne For Men (outfitters) were at 9 Calthorpe Rd just around the corner from Islington Row

My Dad worked at weekends in the "Cobden" in the fifty's, I am sure he was a "Bar Man", though not absolutely sure,!! he loved the place, and told me stories of some of the famous people he met there.paul

Here are a few photos of some Alley's and Passages though I think have previously been mentioned, but I don't think we have seen these photos. We have Ashley Passage which before it was renamed was part of the infamous "Gullet" that now stands where the Law Courts stand today. Then there is one of Burlington Passage that I don't think we have seen before. Next is the bottom of Crooked Lane near Martineau St, ten Swan Passage that was off the High St at the top of the Bull Ring and Led to Worcester St. The last one is a photo of Waterloo Passage a service passage off Waterloo St.

If you run your mouse pointer over the thumbnail image it will identify each photo if you are not sure of the location.

Attachments

• City Ashley Passage.[1].jpg
    City Ashley Passage.[1].jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 58
  • City Burlington Passage c1950.jpg
    City Burlington Passage c1950.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 57
  • City Crooked Lane from Union Passage towards Martineau St 1937.jpg
    City Crooked Lane from Union Passage towards Martineau St 1937.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 54
  • City Swan Passage.jpg
    City Swan Passage.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 59
  • City Waterloo Passage .jpg
    City Waterloo Passage .jpg
    224.4 KB · Views: 56
Some great old favourites Phil...thanks...and now this old Thread of ours seems to still have some life after all...here's one I don't think we have even featured before...GOUGH STREET from 1961...any memories anyone?

Gough St 1961.jpg

The mention of Bradford Passage makes me wonder where Rackhams old store was before the building of the present House of Fraser store. I remember my mother regularly went into the old shop to buy dress materials and dress patterns. I remember that it was in an arcade or passageway. I also remember that the shop was the last place I saw one of the old candle-stick telephones in use.

There was some connection between Rackhams and Wilkinson & Riddell over a hundred years ago. I think one was founded by ex managers of the other firm.

The mention of Bradford Passage makes me wonder where Rackhams old store was before the building of the present House of Fraser store. I remember my mother regularly went into the old shop to buy dress materials and dress patterns. I remember that it was in an arcade or passageway. I also remember that the shop was the last place I saw one of the old candle-stick telephones in use.

There was some connection between Rackhams and Wilkinson & Riddell over a hundred years ago. I think one was founded by ex managers of the other firm.

I remember when Rackams was just a small shop on the corner of Bull Street and Temple Row. .As a teenager I bought a lovely coat from there.

Waterloo Passage. Between Colmore Row and Waterloo Street (not too far from Victoria Square).

Happy New Year 2014

Here is one that you had to be pretty brave to walk along on your own in the 60's as it was pretty desolate and dark in those days. It's Holliday Passage that runs from Holliday Street just across from the house on Bridge Street that has recently been discussed on the forum where it is accessed by a flight of steps and it runs along parallel to the canal to Commercial St. I note it is a lot better lit in the evenings these days.

Attachments

• City Holliday Passage.jpg
    City Holliday Passage.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 37
  • Holliday Passage Access.JPG
    Holliday Passage Access.JPG
    95.3 KB · Views: 34
I remember the new Rackhams (now apparently a House of Fraser). Quite often I spent a lunchtime on the top floor amongst the pianos. But I can't ever remember going into the old Rackhams.

Maurice

And another quaint, rather narrow looking thoroughfare - UNION ROW, Grove Lane, Handsworth, showing the Congregational Church on the corner....dated 1971, but not my neck of the woods...still there?

Grove Lane, Handsworth 1971.jpg

Dennis

Union Row is still there, but the Congregational Church has been replaced by a Sikh Gurdwara (temple).

Attachments

• Union Row.JPG
    Union Row.JPG
    86.5 KB · Views: 39
Dennis

Union Row is still there, but the Congregational Church has been replaced by a Sikh Gurdwara (temple).

How very very surprising!!! ...thanks Phil...and thanks also for that dab bit of sleuthing to uncover that gem on Holliday Passage...how did that escape until now? Brilliant...

Dennis,

Regents Parade around the bend.

Attachments

• Jewellry Quarter Regents Parade.jpg
    Jewellry Quarter Regents Parade.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 49
"Re: Passages, Alleyways Gulletts and Snickets of Old Brum

A million years ago on here, I think Phil featured a little know Bradford Passageway that ran from Corporation Street to Temple Row...now swallowed up by Rackhams...and we didn't have a deent photo of same...but I found this today...not brilliant, but it clearly shows the entrance in Corporation Street...taken on a visit of Her Majesty...

I also include a map and photos by Phil, and a Mail cutout from mikejee for further information..."

This gave me a reason to examine again John Pigott Smith's 1851 Survey of Birmingham to see how Phil's later map compared. (thanks to the LoB and MS 366/90)

Firstly a clip from his map looking at the area south-east of St Phillip's churchyard before construction of Corporation Street after 1875:

Bradford Passage 1851.jpg

and here the beginning of Bradford Passage next to the Eye Hospital and later in 1889 the continuation through to Corporation Street on the original alignment.

Bradford Passage 1889.jpg

Visible in both clips the GWR line between Moor Street and Snow Hill stations the former showing clearly the open cutting between Temple Row and Monmouth Street (Colmore Row) beyond the tunnelled section and before Martin and Chamberlain's Great Western Arcade was carried over on iron beams around 1876.

Back