• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Outwork: Making up jewellery pads

printmeister

master brummie
In the early 60's, my mum used to do some outwork at home, from a firm in the Jewellery Quarter.
It involved making up the pads that were used to display the rings etc. She was supplied with shaped cardboard backing pieces, a matching shaped piece of wadding, cream coloured velvet which was applied over the wadding and backing piece and tartan ribbon which was applied diagonally over the bottom corners. Another shaped piece of card was then applied to the back, covering the glued seam of the velvet.
There was always a pot of foul smelling, brown glue on the stove!
I wondered if anyone else has any memories of similar things?

There was always a pot of foul smelling, brown glue on the stove!
I wondered if anyone else has any memories of similar things?

I believe that the foul smelling glue was made from bones and was widely used especially in the furniture industry. It has long been replaced as this glue simply dissolved when it came into contact with damp or water. My mom used to use something similar to 'size' (making the plaster less porous) the walls before wall-papering, I can smell it now.
icon9.gif

Graham.

Graham
Back in, I think, 1964, i visited a glue factory in London. I can assure you that the smell of the final product was nothing compared to the smell around the factory
mike

My sister in law did outwork similar to that in the early 60's but I don't remember the name of the jewelers. We had a set of old books years ago that my usually very well behaved chewed the covers. We were told it was because they glued the covers with cow gum. He was drewelling at the mouth. Jean.

Graham i remember glue size. Two types the first was mixed with hot water wich you bioled on a fire or blow lamp, that really used to stink. Later came the cold water mix, that was'nt half so bad.

I remember being terribly upset when an seeing and old horse in the street and an adult would say that ones ready for the glue factory.

Back