• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Old street pics..

Along with these 3 final views of the Bristol Rd at Longbridge I'm adding this view of Longbrige Station from the platform side and this one of The Old Mill on West Heath Rd.

Attachments

• Longbridge Bristol Rd South - Lickey Rd.JPG
    Longbridge Bristol Rd South - Lickey Rd.JPG
    103.3 KB · Views: 140
  • Longbridge Lickey Rd - Bristol Rd South.jpg
    Longbridge Lickey Rd - Bristol Rd South.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 132
  • Longbridge Lickey Rd.JPG
    Longbridge Lickey Rd.JPG
    213.6 KB · Views: 131
  • Longbridge Station.jpg
    Longbridge Station.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 143
  • Old Mill West Heath Rd.jpg
    Old Mill West Heath Rd.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 147
Sorry carolina,

I don't know what I'm doing or thinking half the time, my photo is in fact the old Longbridge Station and not Northfield as stated. So I will go and correct it straight away.

Phil

527128_422871277757446_822710795_n.jpg
LONGBRIDGE TICKET OFFICE

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh so you have changed it in the last hour from Northfield to Longbridge on your photos. - sorry didnt realise. Carol

I was passing the ticket Office at longbridge so i thought i would take a photo and post it. lucky i did, as i see the demolition
were there the other day.

View attachment 78314

A shot I took of it two years ago

One of my last shots of the former Halesowen line station from last year.

There was also this gate on the corner of Bristol Road South (near the bit that goes to Rubbery).

Was still in one piece last time I saw it in Longbridge.

As a comparison here is the current Longbridge Station of Longbridge Lane (opened in 1978 on the Cross City Line)

Before continuing on down Bristol Rd South toward Rubery I'm going to cheat a little and post these two sets of photos of the Lickey terminus, simply because for most of us it was the end of the long bus or tram ride that we took on Bank holidays or other special occasions.

Attachments

• Rednal Lickey Hills Amusements.jpg
    Rednal Lickey Hills Amusements.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 136
  • Rednal Lickey Rd 1960.JPG
    Rednal Lickey Rd 1960.JPG
    104.8 KB · Views: 134
  • Rednal Lickey Rd Lickey Village 1960.JPG
    Rednal Lickey Rd Lickey Village 1960.JPG
    119.8 KB · Views: 127
  • Rednal Lickey Rd Post Office.jpg
    Rednal Lickey Rd Post Office.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 128
  • Rednal Lickey Bus terminal.jpg
    Rednal Lickey Bus terminal.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 143
Having reached the end of the line, I will return to Bristol Rd South after these final 5 images.

Attachments

• Rednal Lickey Rd.jpg
    Rednal Lickey Rd.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 109
  • Rednal, LIckey Tram Terminal.JPG
    Rednal, LIckey Tram Terminal.JPG
    133.6 KB · Views: 106
  • Rednal Tram Terminus .jpg
    Rednal Tram Terminus .jpg
    109 KB · Views: 105
  • Rednal Tram Terminus 2 .jpg
    Rednal Tram Terminus 2 .jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 105
  • Rednal Tram Terminus x .jpg
    Rednal Tram Terminus x .jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 107
Is my mind playing tricks but I am sure my Gran and I went to Birmingham from Rubery on one of these trams or did they discontinue before 1949 the year I was born.

Great pics Phil will you be posting once you get to Rubery only ask because I would love to see a photo of Spring Pools if you have one and beyond now I'm getting greedy................

The smiths

yes the trams also went to Rubery and I will be posting a couple of photos of them a little later.

Phil

Hello David, yes the Royal Orthopedic is still there and has indeed had some quite serious extensions, additions and improvements. I agree with you about the staff and care because I have had several stays in other hospitals for minor ailments and they were horrible but I had a new knee and and a new hip in the Woodlands (ROP) Northfield and everything in there was so different. Even with the pain after orthopedic surgery the two stays in there were hugely preferable to the others.
They do have a good web page as well so you can read about it.

Is the hospital still there for it was indeed a place with great medical staff.

A few pics I got earlier this year of the Royal Orthopaedic Hospital

Mainly for this blue plaque
(Had to zoom in from the other side of Bristol Road South to get it)

Right after our little stroll around Rednal lets get back to the last leg of our journey Bristol Rd South from Longbridge to Rubery. I'm sorry but as Spring pools are a little outside my photo collection area (I only do Birmingham) the best I can do is a little piece of the old A38 around the pools.

Attachments

• 5 Rubery Terminus[1].jpg
    5 Rubery Terminus[1].jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 121
  • 1 Longbridge Bristol Rd South 1952.JPG
    1 Longbridge Bristol Rd South 1952.JPG
    137.9 KB · Views: 127
  • 2 Rubery A38 Spring Pools.jpg
    2 Rubery A38 Spring Pools.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 114
  • 3 Rubery Leach Green Lane 1926.JPG
    3 Rubery Leach Green Lane 1926.JPG
    116.8 KB · Views: 126
  • 4 Rubery Shopping Centre.jpg
    4 Rubery Shopping Centre.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 127
These last four photos complete my journey along Bristol Rd beginning to end. I will now begin to sort out another major thoroughfare for us to journey along.

Attachments

• 9 Rubery Village.jpg
    9 Rubery Village.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 109
  • 6 Rubery New Rd (2).jpg
    6 Rubery New Rd (2).jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 109
  • 7 Rubery New Rd.jpg
    7 Rubery New Rd.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 115
  • 8 Rubery Rubery Hill Hospital 1915.JPG
    8 Rubery Rubery Hill Hospital 1915.JPG
    145.4 KB · Views: 112
Thanks Phil for pics' used to go round Spring Pools on Dads motorbike old Royal Enfield RFK??? up to Rubery to help out with the football team Rubery Social I had the job of cutting the oranges for half time in quarters loved it so thanks for the memories and do apologise to any-one on the forum as I realise its a Birmingham forum and a great site to visit...................

Thanks from me too Phil,...for me it's been a trip down memory lane of going to my Nan and Grandads in Rubery on the bus once a fortnight for many years as a child, with my Mom and Brother...getting the 58 or 60 from Sheldon into town, going through the market to get fresh haddock (for when we got home) then to the smelly bus depot to catch the 144 ...along the Bristol Road to The Rose and Crown in the village, a journey that seemed to take forever..in fact we spent more time on the bus than we did visiting ! But although some of the scenes in the photos were a bit before my time, there are a lot of the landmarks which my Brother and I used to look for which told us how much longer we would be on the bus.. The Royal Orthopaedic, Kalamazoo, The Black Horse and the bridge to name a few, but the best sight of all was The Austin and the island were the bus turned towards Rubery :)
Occasionally our Uncle would take us up to the Lickeys as a treat or we would walk down the village and fetch "proper" Lardy Cake to have with a lovely cup of tea made from leaves and in a teapot..Nan's tea was the only tea I would drink, I've haven't touched the stuff since she sadly passed away.
Grandad used to work at The QE, two of my Uncles worked at the Austin and Moms first job was in The Chemist at the top of the village..her cousin worked in the one at the bottom end.
Here is a photo the Chemist in about 1915 and one of Mom at The Chemist, circa 1955
001aa.jpgFile1157.jpg

Last edited:
Yes David, the Woodlands is still there and outpatients has had a bit of a facelift.
Still a good hospital with good staff (Only been an outpatient though).

eta: Whoops, just noticed that Stitcher had answered your question - I missed a page!

Hi Lindyloo What a lovely photo of your Mum I used to go in that chemist as like you my Gran & Grandad lived at Rubery and they both worked at the Austins after they moved from Romsley. Small World is'nt it............

Hi the smiths,

Thankyou :) I'm racking my brain trying to remember the name of the chemist..I will ring Mom and ask her shortly.
It is a small world..I've been finding that out more and more through doing my Family Tree..

Edit..I wonder if our Grandparents knew each other !! My Uncle still lives there.
The name of the Chemists was Grosvenor and he also owned the bottom shop which was Beverley Stores.

I think I should do a northern route this time, so how about starting at snow hill and heading for the West Bromwich border of Birmingham? I'll try to keep the photos all within living memory unless I have an older one of exceptional merit. If I miss anything and you have a photo or a comment please join in.

So starting ar Snow Hill then,

Attachments

• City Snow Hill 1954.JPG
    City Snow Hill 1954.JPG
    138.2 KB · Views: 234
  • City Snow Hill c1950.JPG
    City Snow Hill c1950.JPG
    118.3 KB · Views: 236
  • City Snow Hill fro the Salutation.JPG
    City Snow Hill fro the Salutation.JPG
    83 KB · Views: 242
  • City Snow Hill Shops.jpg
    City Snow Hill Shops.jpg
    210.2 KB · Views: 416
  • Snow Hill The Cedar Club Constitution Hill .jpg
    Snow Hill The Cedar Club Constitution Hill .jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 255
Just thought I'd let you know that the photo is showing Yardley Church and its graveyard NOT Yardley Cemetery which is further up the road by the Old Swan, Stockfield Road, Yardley.

Great photos!

Great to see the old photos of Brum. Be even better if somebody has got some of River Street and Camp Hill by the Flyover?

Back