• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Old Photographs

Peter Hunt

knowlegable brummie
Peter,
Very interesting, especially as you say, he wrote the locations down, are there any of the city centre,all the same keep them coming.
John

Excellent photographs Peter. These are just the sort of material that need to get published so its not gone forever. The 'great frost' caption is the clincher for me. I was after a clue regarding the severity of that winter. (Dont suppose you have anything on Haunch Lane?)

many thanks for those you have posted.

Great photos Peter!

Have you heard of Phyllis Nicklin? This marvellous lady worked at Birmingham University. She photographed various places in Birmingham in the 1960's. Someone has scanned them & put them online.

Thank again, im sure lots of people really appreciate these photos.

Just looked at some of Phyllis Niklin's photo collection, they are absolutely brilliant the way they are presented.
I must think about getting mine professionally scanned and set up like that, does anyone know how much it would cost.

Peter

Peter I have sent you an Instant Message - more than happy to scan the photos in if it helps as Yardley Wood is where my Father's family are from.

That brings back memories! :)

Many's the time I climbed up the steep end walls of the aqueduct and sat with my legs dangling over the top! :D

Great one of the mill - why were they ever allowed to demolish it? :(

Maurice :cool:

So you did the same as me then Maurice? I used to lower myself down so I was just resting on my hands then pull myself back up. Just to worry a friend - amazing he is still a friend.

The Mill - now I may have said this elsewhere - there was a developer who was willing to buy the plots [that the Mill occupied] off the builders who had got the planning permission and compensate them for any lost profit so that the Mill could remain but to no avail. The claim was that the structure was unsafe. When the demolition team moved in they failed in their endeavours until resort was made to Dynamite the structure.

Ha ha, Bernie, my nerve wasn't quite as good as that, though some of my friends did exactly as you have described! Now I think I would be scared to walk within six feet of the edge. :redface:

We used to do similarly stupid things at the old clay pits in Greet, arriving home with our shoes & socks covered in clay, for a right rollicking from our parents.

Similarly swinging out on a rope attached to a tree over the River Cole, just above the waterfall at Stratford Road Bridge. Happy days, but such things would give me nightmares now! :D

Maurice :cool:

Back