• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

OLD BIRMINGHAM PHOTOS FROM STEVEBHx

There is a name on the post office.
??? Place Post Office. Looks a bit like Harrow or perhaps Market. If someone can sharpen the pic it might help.

Last edited:
There is a name on the post office.
??? Place Post Office. Looks a bit like Harrow or perhaps Market. If someone can sharpen the pic it might help.
I think it's Market Place.

I know Bethnal Green fairly well, it was an area for furniture makers but I don't recognise the spot - it looks too 'country town' to be East London.

Time for one more - no I don't think this is Birmingham but any offers where? It was among all the Birmingham slides but doesn't look right and there are no features to give a clue of age

thanks

View attachment 168343
I am going to stick my neck out and say I think this might be York. It is pedestrianised now so hard to get a good view.
There was, until recently, a Market Place PO but now on the opposite side.
See what you think.
The 2008 view shows the are before pedestrianisation but trees hif=de the shops. The 2018 view shows (as best I can) the shops and I think the windows match. The Last Drop Inn is number 27 Colliergate which fits the number at Bean Whitehead.

Attachments

• York 2008.JPG
    York 2008.JPG
    61.1 KB · Views: 32
  • York 2018.JPG
    York 2018.JPG
    131 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
I admit I have been there several times, though not for at least 15 years., but did not recognise it

295 Soho Road from 1975, and what a window display Ye Olde Wine shop has, Nanette to the right and a window full of clothes and a slightly disturbing child dummy in the window and a proper pram leaving the shop. Just noticed the Ansells off license sign and I wonder if the wall painted sign is still visible.

295 Soho Road - 75.jpg

Two for the price of one next - 312 Tile Cross Road in 1969, quite a variety of items outside this shop, telephone box, postbox and stamp machine, and over to the right are wire milk crates and Midland counties Ice-cream bin and up the corner some weighing scales. Interesting shop fronts too, a door to a hairdressers with barbers pole, a window of fashion clothing backed by tin foil? and the Supermarket / newsagent come post office. On the left the nose of an old van

312 Tile Cross Road - 69.jpg

My how styles and taste changes, at the risk of offending someone did we really have units like that in our homes?. Old style telephone number and rolls of carpet stacked outside. knitwear cash and carry which is wholesale only, next an empty shop and the old red and white roadwork barriers. Rear end of a Ford Cortina and sash windows at first floor level.

350 Soho Road - Hands. -75.jpg

Last one for tonight, Enoch's Exchange and Mart 809-811 Washwood Heath Road, they dont make them like this any more !! Shop sign looks a bit big for the frontage and seems to have poles holding it up. Trailer on its side and a sideboard on the right , can only make out a guitar through the windows though, oh and a Cortina on the left(?)

809-811 Washwood Heath Road-71.jpg

My how styles and taste changes, at the risk of offending someone did we really have units like that in our homes?. Old style telephone number and rolls of carpet stacked outside. knitwear cash and carry which is wholesale only, next an empty shop and the old red and white roadwork barriers. Rear end of a Ford Cortina and sash windows at first floor level.

View attachment 168430
NOR is an old Handsworth number, Nightingale Knitwear were at 305 Soho Road.
They are still going but now in Great Hampton Street.

295 Soho Road from 1975, and what a window display Ye Olde Wine shop has, Nanette to the right and a window full of clothes and a slightly disturbing child dummy in the window and a proper pram leaving the shop. Just noticed the Ansells off license sign and I wonder if the wall painted sign is still visible.

View attachment 168426
when my Dad went to the pub on a Saturday night he would bring back a bottle of VP sherry for my Mum. An advert for Crimplene fabrics in fashion 293. Mop caps and bonnets in Nanette’s to keep the sun off the babbies.

View attachment 168426

1889... 295 Soho Road...Charles Cutler, Tailor and Outfitter
1986.. Agent for Uncle Sam Travel Agency.

View attachment 168430

Hope it don't rain...

Screenshot 2022-03-12 at 22.51.57.png

NOR is an old Handsworth number, Nightingale Knitwear were at 305 Soho Road.
They are still going but now in Great Hampton Street.
hi sparks just a slight correction... i think you mean nightingales was at gt hampton row not street...previously the building used to be the old engine tavern pub...nightingales closed last year and and the building will be retained and restorations made which is good news as its a very old building...st view below

lyn

Last one for tonight, Enoch's Exchange and Mart 809-811 Washwood Heath Road, they dont make them like this any more !! Shop sign looks a bit big for the frontage and seems to have poles holding it up. Trailer on its side and a sideboard on the right , can only make out a guitar through the windows though, oh and a Cortina on the left(?)

A more local one to me but before my time. It did stump me with the exact location though, only 811 being a shop now.

Not sure you'd see any shop signs advertising for guns these days.

Next up same location but different view, and here we have a great sense of what has been lost - take time to get you bearings, Nelson Statue and the market Bottom left and Moor Street Station along the bottom edge, and the scar of the under pass / flyover heading out, and a nice grass island in front of the Fire Station.
It is the amount of building that have been lost amazes me come down Bull Street to High Street and Carrs Lane the amount of building that are just not there and to think we lost those for what is there today !!

View attachment 168341
Thanks for the wonderful photos, truly amazing. Sue

View attachment 168426
Just up from the Cross Guns - shops still there. This view 2019 because of traffic blocking view in 2020 shot.

Attachments

• 295 Soho Road - 2019.JPG
    295 Soho Road - 2019.JPG
    84.1 KB · Views: 15
Two for the price of one next - 312 Tile Cross Road in 1969, quite a variety of items outside this shop, telephone box, postbox and stamp machine, and over to the right are wire milk crates and Midland counties Ice-cream bin and up the corner some weighing scales. Interesting shop fronts too, a door to a hairdressers with barbers pole, a window of fashion clothing backed by tin foil? and the Supermarket / newsagent come post office. On the left the nose of an old van

View attachment 168427
Pillar box and post office still there. Phone box went between Oct 2018 and Sept 2020.

Attachments

• 312 Tile Cross Road - 2018.JPG
    312 Tile Cross Road - 2018.JPG
    31.2 KB · Views: 16
  • 312 Tile Cross Road - 2020.JPG
    312 Tile Cross Road - 2020.JPG
    101.5 KB · Views: 16
Back