• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

OLD BIRMINGHAM PHOTOS FROM STEVEBHx

The next next picture is another of these - I have no idea images- a row of terraces with scaffolding but not sure if they are been refurbished or knocked down. The image is interesting in a number of ways - washing in the street, washing lines - do the young have washing lines?, clothes props, especially a home made one, and the street lamp. The terraces seem to have interesting layout in side judging by the windows, little window, solid door, big window then a mirror image with a window either side of the door upstairs. Sash windows of course and no fancy door solid door with letterbox and the road as such is all bricked- judging by the soil in the foreground the other side of the road mayhave been demolished.

Test341 1.jpg

A different view from on high - usually we have been the other side of Snow hill looking this way this time we are looking in the opposite direction. Immediately we can see that there are a lot of things not there, underpasses roundabouts and the Royal Angus site. There are many things that are not there anymore Gaumont cinema and the building behind, grass area in front snow hill station in this form, and looking past Snow Hill Station there are various buildings that have disappeared and notice how small the road is in front of St Chads cathedral is compared to today .

Test432 1.jpg

The next next picture is another of these - I have no idea images- a row of terraces with scaffolding but not sure if they are been refurbished or knocked down. The image is interesting in a number of ways - washing in the street, washing lines - do the young have washing lines?, clothes props, especially a home made one, and the street lamp. The terraces seem to have interesting layout in side judging by the windows, little window, solid door, big window then a mirror image with a window either side of the door upstairs. Sash windows of course and no fancy door solid door with letterbox and the road as such is all bricked- judging by the soil in the foreground the other side of the road mayhave been demolished.

View attachment 177972
fascinating photo steve...never seen washing in the street and i have never seen a lampost in the road...very odd and surely a hazard for cars

lyn

This next picture is full of interesting snippets, Bubble car in red across the road, possible messersmitt (sp.) made using the old canopies from german fighters after the war. An interesting selections of cars and vans, especially the tyre van on the left of the picture. Intersting building on the left with 1904 on the top with tele- security and Ray and Breeze on the ground floor - and with those names can someone suggest a location, is the Lionel street on the right? and as my geography is not too good are we looking towards the city up Newhall Hill / Street? Further up the road is the back of a fuel tanker and there is a Bedford Lorry on the buildling site.

Test424.jpg

This next picture is full of interesting snippets, Bubble car in red across the road, possible messersmitt (sp.) made using the old canopies from german fighters after the war. An interesting selections of cars and vans, especially the tyre van on the left of the picture. Intersting building on the left with 1904 on the top with tele- security and Ray and Breeze on the ground floor - and with those names can someone suggest a location, is the Lionel street on the right? and as my geography is not too good are we looking towards the city up Newhall Hill / Street? Further up the road is the back of a fuel tanker and there is a Bedford Lorry on the buildling site.

View attachment 177975
ray breeze is at no 73...hopefully a kellys look up will provide the location steve...great photo again

lyn

This is another aerial view which shows the "regeneration " of the city , if you look what is there and what isn't you can possibly work out a year. Apologies if I have posted this before as I have said previously these pictures ring a bell but I am not sure if I have posted or have just viewed them. Interesting are the old street lines which don't exist any more, whole areas that have disappeared, and the number of holes in the landscape . If you view the area from google do we think the modern site is better?

Test434 1.jpg

fascinating photo steve...never seen washing in the street and i have never seen a lampost in the road...very odd and surely a hazard for cars

lyn
I did have a thought - is it Birmingham? I know I managed to post a picture of York and there are a few out of town picture that I have not posted in the collection.

Finally I have been scanning a collection of negatives for Lyn I have had them quite a while and finally got round to doing them 145 sheets with 36+ negatives on each gives !!! The images are varied both in quality location and date but all are interesting in there own way. With Lyns permission I will post a few so you have an idea of the challenge ahead tidying them into an acceptable form - I also have many typewritten sheets of location detail I just have to work out of photo 4 on sheet 27 is still in the right place.
Here are a few - no commentary but happy for suggestions. = thanks Lyn
20230107191403_01.jpg

Is that road sign on the extreme right beneath the orange sign? Lionel St? No. 73 Snow Hill is about opposite.
think you could be right mark...the location looked familiar and i think i have seen a photo of lessars tailors before and im sure it was snow hill

think you could be right mark...the location looked familiar and i think i have seen a photo of lessars tailors before and im sure it was snow hill

I think the building being built is shown completed in the aerial photo in post #3152.

Finally I have been scanning a collection of negatives for Lyn I have had them quite a while and finally got round to doing them 145 sheets with 36+ negatives on each gives !!! The images are varied both in quality location and date but all are interesting in there own way. With Lyns permission I will post a few so you have an idea of the challenge ahead tidying them into an acceptable form - I also have many typewritten sheets of location detail I just have to work out of photo 4 on sheet 27 is still in the right place.
Here are a few - no commentary but happy for suggestions. = thanks Lyn
View attachment 177978
thanks for taking so much time over these negatives steve...just to explain that they were gifted to my brother by a friend who either took the photos himself or took photos of photos and until steve came along and offered to take the photos off the negatives we had no idea what was on them and in cases no locations...either way at least they are no longer gathering dust never to be seen and fingers crossed we may find some little gems to share with like minded brummies...thanks again steve

lyn

View attachment 177975
I am pretty sure it is Ray & Breeze. Ray Breeze electrical Co Ltd were at 73 snow hill, with 75 Snow hill being Isaac Lesser Tailor. in the 1956 Kellys

1950s map showing 73 and 75 snow hill.jpg

View attachment 177972
My immediate reaction to this photo was ’Yorkshire’. They look a bit like almshouses with those doorways. There looks to be something more like a niche than a window in the property just to the left of the lamp. Also there are three posts to the right. Maybe someone can identify the model of streetlight?

My immediate reaction to this photo was ’Yorkshire’. They look a bit like almshouses with those doorways. There looks to be something more like a niche than a window in the property just to the left of the lamp. Also there are three posts to the right. Maybe someone can identify the model of streetlight?
yes you could well be correct tinpot as it certainly does not look like a typical brum street although the street light does...

---------------------------------------------
That photo is quite interesting and also rather odd, seeing a lamp post actually sitting in the road along with the post for the washing line o_O . the scaffolding is also very basic compared to more modern times but it's clearly set up with boards at the top for working on the roofs either for repairs or to salvage the slates if demolition is imminent. The roofs look to be in good condition with some slates looking a different colour and no missing slates so maybe they have just been repaired.

Note that the lady has hung up her fancy "kertins" along with enormous pairs of drawers :eek:

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    309.6 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
yes you could well be correct tinpot as it certainly does not look like a typical brum street although the street light does...
I have other views from this location perhaps they may help. I agree with the Yorkshire comment, if there were no back garden then clothes were dried in the front and on shared accesses.

I have other views from this location perhaps they may help. I agree with the Yorkshire comment, if there were no back garden then clothes were dried in the front and on shared accesses.
thanks steve look forward to seeing other views from this location...may just help

lyn

View attachment 177975
as Lyn said in post # 3155
Ray and Breeze at 73
From 1958 phone book
1676214245084.png

Back