• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

OLD AND NEW PHOTOGRAPHS

This is the Moseley Road Cinema - Moseley Road funnily enough, taken in 1957, I like the tobacconist/ sweet shop to the left. The Film " The Lusty Men" I did check carefully is a Cowboy film from 1952 so is the date right?
View attachment 179575
The picture house looks to be part of a continuous row of properties with tiling and second floor window fittings in common. Did it start as a cinema or was it given a new facade? Also note Grimley & Son deal in flood lights, hotel lamps and ships lanterns.

The picture house looks to be part of a continuous row of properties with tiling and second floor window fittings in common. Did it start as a cinema or was it given a new facade? Also note Grimley & Son deal in flood lights, hotel lamps and ships lanterns.
Yes, I was just thinking that!
Looks like it was converted, I don't think the block would have had a cinema there when it was built.

The Picture House is listed in Kelly's at Nos. 345 & 347 right back to 1921. In 1912 there is no listing, In 1904 these properties were occupied by a furniture broker and a greengrocer

And finally we end up at Dunlop adhesives which I have no idea where it is - well i know but this specific location I am not sure of

View attachment 179353
Dunlop Adhesives was where B&Q now is on Chester Road next to the Jaguar Factory.

You can see the white thin cooling tower of the power station in front of Base Stores of the Fort Dunlop in the rear.

I was going to say the photographer was standing on Spifire Island next to the Jaguar Factory, but the island seems to be in a slightly different position in this photo as the Spine Road was not built then.

Finally on this roll are the gates of the old Dunlop grounds, looking rather sad, gatehouse. roof lights and vents .Note also the "Wake up to the Post" Newspaper stand tucked by the side, and also the lamps on the posts

View attachment 179581
That doesn't look like Fort Dunlop.

It looks like the Jaguar Factory gate from Kingsbury Road, just before the Showcase cinema.

Google Earth confirms this to be the Jaguar Factory, now gate number 4, Kingsbury Road

Last edited:
Dunlop Adhesives was where B&Q now is on Chester Road next to the Jaguar Factory.

You can see the white thin cooling tower of the power station in front of Base Stores of the Fort Dunlop in the rear.

I was going to say the photographer was standing on Spifire Island next to the Jaguar Factory, but the island seems to be in a slightly different position in this photo as the Spine Road was not built then.

Checked on Google Earth and the Islands seem in the same position then and now. I didn't post the image as not sure if allowed because of copyright.

Cooling tower clearly visible in both shots.

Last edited:
Was it actually made from Chestnut wood? When we played football in the back garden in Erdington mom would say
"Dont break the pailins!" (which did happen at times.)
Yes it was chestnut i used to fence gardens for Birmingham Council

• Appreciate
Reactions: RRJ
Forgot the term 'pailings'. Haven't heard that in years. Virtually every house had them, not the tall fence panels of today. Can't gossip over the tall fence panels with a neighbours now ! We eventually replaced our pailings with fence panels around the 1960s. Think the original pailings must have been there since the 1930s. The plus side of pailings was we could be easily hauled over into the neighbours garden who watched us while mum popped to the shops, Viv.

Last edited:
The next few images are rather varied in quality, so I have skipped some of them as the add nothing meaningful to the information. They are are of development works on properties in Arley Road and Bennetts Road, most are bricked up and those which are not are rapidly attacked by vandals.
20230123201444_09.jpg

I think you can just make out Bloomsbury Library on the left in the Saltley bridge photo.

Is post number 18, the medieval type door, the entrance to King Arthur's court in Gas Street? It was a pseudo-medieval eating house where I worked for a while in my youth! Just wondered with the posters for clubs to the left of it.

Back