• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

OFF TO THE POST BOX

The Baron

master brummie
Hi All, This is a photo of my Mom on her way to the post box,that is with the help of sister Hilda & mom ( my Nan)
Photo taken at the back of 155 Tower Road ASTON,about 1916. the house was in a court yard at the right hand side of what is H.P.VINEGAR vats.They were bombed out in wwII.As luck would have it both my grand Nan & Dad were staying with us in Ward End at the time, my Dad told me that both he and my grandad were standing one night in the garden of our new house in Moss Vale Grove,looking over to the city, and Grandad saying"someone's getting it to night" little did he know!
when rehoused, they moved about 100yrd down to 173 on the left hand side of the vats next to the mission hall. Only to be flooded out with Vinegar in the 1950s when the Vats exploded!
you had to tough in those days.
more from me soon.
ASTONl

Aston, What a smashing photo, I have one like that which I will put on when a find time to sort it out. note, the chimmney pot to the side.

That is a lovely study Aston. I see the chimney pot...perhaps it blew off in a storm as they often used to.

The chimney pot is to the right hand side of the door. They were huge things in many cases. I have seen them for sale in North America shipped out from Britain and sold at close to 50 pounds and up for one.

when i was young i lived up cromwell terrace 5/92 lichfield road, and i would get up bright and early , and when the post came throughthe door i would greet the postman, and i would push his bike up the top end of our terrace,and down the other side to the bottom of the terrace, our terrace was next to thompson,s and every morning i would walk along side the postman , pushing and garding his bike whilst he went up every entry , and every shop he went too ,sometime,s he would let me put some through the shop letter boxes, we would go down as far as the penny farthing bike shop ,then he would tell me to go to school wich was upper thomas st, infants, i think the head mistress was called miss tylor , when i went to the junior,s i did,nt like i had two big brothers in the seniors then my oldest brother billy he fell don the school stairs , they had to phone an ambulance and put him on a stretcher and take him to hospital , my young friends then was roy edwards, dave ward, collin gaskin,, astonian,;;;;

Back