• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

norton and cashmore

gingerjon

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN R.I.P.
can any one help with this request

Thank you ever so much for the great story and information on Handsworth.I was wondering if anyone has listed the memorial inscriptions for St. Mary's Church in Handsworth.My Greatgreat Grandparents were married there in 1824.His name was James Norton b.1803, married to Martha Cashmore b.1805.I know of their marriage and a few of their children,but my brick wall is trying to find either James parents or his brothers or sisters if he had any.Maybe just maybe you can point me in the right direction as where to look.I would love to be able to get over there to check the parish records,but with my age and living in Canada,I don't think I stand much of a chance.
I do want to thank you for the photo's of St. Marys Church and the area as it now gives me a sence of what it looked like where they lived and grew up.
Again Thank you.
John Norton

I haven't tried for sometime - but a a few years ago you could get into the records of St Mary's Handsworth as long as you gave your email address and password - but then John you are more up to speed with these things than I am

I have tried to help John with this previously.

When I visited Birmingham Central Library last year I looked at the Parish Records for St Mary's and found the entry for the marriage for James and Martha, I copied the entry and sent forwarded it to John by e mail but unfortunately as we know, before 1837 there were no details of parents etc.

I have also searched the IGI and came up with a couple of possibilites for family members but haven't been able to come up with anything else.

Fay

Hi John (Houghton)

After I sent copy of mariage certificate to John (Norton) we did correspond for a little while and I know he received the attachment showing a copy of the marriage entry details from the Church Records. I suggested various web sites etc to try.

I was a bit miffed at the time because when I read messages he had posted on the sites I suggested he was asking if anyone was going to Birmingham Library could they check the Parish Records for the marriage that I had already sent him a copy of.

I am not sure I still have the marriage documentation on my computer any longer.

I will double check and if I still have it will forward to him. I do still have his e mail address on my computer.

Regards

Fay

Fay he did send a thank mail but it must have been misdirected will try and sort it out O0

John

Have located copy of marriage details and sent to John.

Regards

Fay

No problem.

It must be difficult trying to trace your Birmingham ancestors when you live so far away.

Sometimes I forget how lucky I am living in such close proximatey to Birmingham Central Library, whereby records are so easily accessible. Just a 20 minute ride into the City.

Regards

Fay

Norton's from Birmingham

My great-grandmother Margaret Sarah Norton was born in Birmingham in 1836, her father was John Norton, as was his father before him who married Jane Plant.

Anyone connected out there ?

Jane [nee Plant] is was buried at St.Mary's, Wittall Street.

Can anyone send me a photo / picture of the church, as I cannot find one anywhere. Church dates from 1774 to 1926 when it was demolished.

Regards, Joan.

St Mary's Church has long been gone, somewhere under the Inner Ring Road, just south of Loveday Street, and it looked like the attached. The engraving was in Hutton's 'History of Birmingham', published in the early 1780s.
Peter

St.Mary's Chapel engraving

Thank you very much Peter, for the picture. Am I right in thinking that this was at one time named St.Catherine's Church ? And was in Wittall Street ?
A copy will now be flying over to San Francisco, where another Norton descendant is living.
Regards, Joan.

hi my grandmothers maiden name was cashmore she married a john (jack boell) they lived at 45 brearley street handsworth c 1918 hope this is of help to you also if you have any info on them please get in touch thanks helen hendry.

Back