• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Northfield

W

Wendy

Here are two photo's of Bristol Road Northfield one taken in 1912 the other in 1981. In the 1981 photo the first shop has its windows boarded up as a result of civil rioting. The 1912 photo features a prize band marching up the road.

Attachments

• northfield bristol rd prizeband1912.jpg
    northfield bristol rd prizeband1912.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 15
Last edited by a moderator:
nice pics of northfield in the old days ,
the 1912 was very country fyed
the 1981 pic you are showing was not at the time of the b,ham riots
it was done by a druken louts coming up the road from the bell public house
on the junction of bristol rd and bell lane
i can actualy recall that incident happening ,at the time i was collecting
information from an estate agents whom are well know , in b,ham
and i will not name names because its in proper for me to do that
but i used to do the repossesion of houses ,in that part of b,ham in 1981
and all around that area,
you can take it from me it was not nothink to do with the rioting in b,ham
we was having agood laugh about it in the estates agents , believe me
astonian ,;;;

Thanks for putting me right Astonian. The photo's I have are from a collection given to me with information included. I posted it in good faith as the information was written on the back of the photo.

I grew up in Northfield in the 50's, a great place. Dad was the school caretaker in the Northfield Institute. I think you mentioned elsewhere the 27 bus driven by one of your relatives, it was a 'single decker' and ran past the Institute, along Church Road and to Bournville through what I always thought of as one of the nicest parts oh Birmingham.

Dave C

Dave I don't actually know Northfield very well. I just posted the pictures that were given to me along with several others around Birmingham. I knew someone would like them.:)

hi have you any more pics of northfield be nice to see them

Steve

Is this the sort of thing that you want?

Bristol Rd Northfield
Bunbury Rd - Bristol Rd junction
Frankley Beeches Rd - Bristol Rd junction
Merritts Brook Rd
Northfield Baths Pool.

Phil

Attachments

• Northfield Bristol Rd 1950.jpg
    Northfield Bristol Rd 1950.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 19
  • Northfield Bunbury Rd - Bristol Rd 1962.jpg
    Northfield Bunbury Rd - Bristol Rd 1962.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 17
  • Northfield Frankly Beeches Rd 1950.jpg
    Northfield Frankly Beeches Rd 1950.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 19
  • Northfield Merritts Brook Rd 1957.jpg
    Northfield Merritts Brook Rd 1957.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 17
  • Northfield Northfield Baths.jpg
    Northfield Northfield Baths.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 20
hi all
used to go to the army cadets which was on the bristol road next to the baths' also worked as a saturday boy at perks bristol road around 61/62 time, had a girlfriend called gill bates who lived in northfield towards the frankly beetches.
regards
paul stacey

hi phil great pics i have lived in northfield for 50+ years nice to see how northfield was years ago thanks brings back memorys steve

nice photos, I remember dad buying me a proper tweed jacket with leather buttons from Fosters, smart but not exactly disco material! The picture of Parsons is at the top of Church Road opposite the Bell, right where the horrible Grosvenor Shopping Centre is now.
I remember the baths too, that was probably me at the side daring myself to jump in the deep end, I especially enjoyed the hot bovril and cheesey biscuits upstairs in the cafe afterwords.
I don't suppose you have any of the Institute on Church Road where I lived in the 50s?

Dave

I think the pic taken in 1981 is showing Lockwood Rd in the distance, the corner shows a car park which is still there. regards Margaret

hi all any more pics of northfield anyone love to see them i used to live in crossland road off vineyard its gone now but love to see pics steve

Back