• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

NewSt Station 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
If HS2 is built will there be a direct connection with HS1 so trains from Birmingham will be able to run directly into Europe via the tunnel (without changing trains or reversal)?

March 2014.

The stairs on Station Street are gone!

Extra frame on John Lewis - Hill Street entrance to the station is below it!

The new car park

Always intensely disliked the Station St access. Horrible design, cold and uninviting. That's one demolition photo that's good to see Ell. Thanks! Viv.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Think the builders must have been using what was left of it to access the level above, but they probably don't need it now!

It was quite ugly and poorly designed!

Some pics taken today from my return from a day out in Coventry!

New escalator ceiling!

New concourse seen from leaving platform 4a

As I came out of New St station, this caught my eye.

Attachments

• ew St 16-4-14 (3).jpg
    ew St 16-4-14 (3).jpg
    307.2 KB · Views: 41
I like the way the new cladding "reflects the environment" so to speak, since it started to go up I have seen the facades of those buildings that have been almost impossible to see in a couple of generations

I'll be going back through here on Sunday (taking advantage of London Midland's 25% off online rail sale before it expires on the 25th April 2014).

In the meantime some new shots.

View from Dudley Street

Eye close ups - Stephenson Street / Navigation Street corner

It appears I already took that with the BNSS sign in August 2013!

This is the offer - you can book tickets before the 25th for April and May. If less than 5 working days, the only delivery option you have is via your local stations ATM, or paying for recorded delivery (1st class free only if ordering more than 5 working days in advance).

Been to Walsall today (taking advantage of that 25% off train tickets online offer) so some more new pics of New Street!

Platform 9a

Old New Street Station sign

Platform 10a opposite looking new!

Departing for Walsall

Some from 18th May 2014

Still pretty dark down here!

Return from Erdington

Old concourse exit

From the Moor Street link bridge

From today 29th May 2014

New car park - seen from Stephenson Street

Cladding the eye on Stephenson Street!

Cross Country Trains

Virgin Trains

Now onto Hill Street / Station Street - John Lewis cladding works

Somewhere here is where Queens Drive used to end!

Spanish Steps

Saw this on Station Street not sure what it is supposed to be!

Dose anyone know when they plan to complete the work at New Street,? as far as I know they have been working on it since the early 60's, and I don't ever remember seeing new street with out building work going on there?

The '60s incarnation stopped in 1967.

This one is 2010 to 2015. So sometime by the end of next year?

Work (still) in progress on 15th September 1969 fixing the ceiling and wall cladding c/o Railtrack/Network Rail archives

NS_150969.jpg

From the curve I would guess it was looking along platform 11 and 12 on the Midland side. The waiting DMU has Derby on the blind

Interesting fifty-one year old snippet culled from "The Railway Magazine" June 1963 describing the then new New Street station:

"The redevelopment proposals take full advantage of the high commercial value of the site and the fact that the platforms and track are below ground level.
The upper levels will, it is anticipated, comprise a new shopping precinct, an entertainments centre, restaurants and car parking"

Work (still) in progress on 15th September 1969 fixing the ceiling and wall cladding c/o Railtrack/Network Rail archives

View attachment 92435

From the curve I would guess it was looking along platform 11 and 12 on the Midland side. The waiting DMU has Derby on the blind

My photos below from platform 8A looking to platform 7A (I think).

Some from 18th May 2014

Still pretty dark down here!

Hopefully when the atrium is completed, natural light will flood down to the platforms!

I've not seen any waiting rooms down there, just the odd bench. And no bins - so people just leave their empty coffee cup where ever they like!

Thanks Ell. And thank you for photographically cataloguing the redevelopment as it happens.

Last edited by a moderator:
No problem. Think I will have a small rest from taking new New Street pics! And maybe start up again sometime in July or August!

I'd rather see the eye more or less complete.

Changed my mind, as a new Caffe Nero opened!

Platform 12B

Unfinished

Window on my train was a bit blurry / fuzzy

That carries the bridge to one of the car parks!

It's probably a generational thing , and though the majority of photo's are fine, it still looks an "abomination', to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back