• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

New Street City Centre Birmingham

The Birmingham Frankfurt Christmas Market on a wet day (raining after the snow started to melt).

Christmas tree near the Midland Metro line

In and out

The stalls only take up a small part of New Street from Corporation Street towards High Street.

The Radio WM shop, New Street (early eighties?)

image.jpg

image.jpg

Of course the Piccadilly arcade used to be a cinema, you can still see the "slope" where the seats were as it goes down from New St.

This walkway has an amazing ceiling with stunning paintings.

One is like you are in an open grave looking up at the people standing round the grave.

Many people walk down this small arcade and never notice the paintings above them.

This photo below shows Pinfold St coming up from New St station.

This road is currently closed while they lay the new tram track.

In future trams will leave Stephenson St (in the distance, outside New St station) come up Pinfold St, go along Paradise St, then over to Broad St where there will be a stop outside the new library.

This line is due to open in 2019 or 2020 I think.

Eventually the trams will go up to Five Ways.

The Radio WM shop, New Street (early eighties?)

image.jpg

This is from the 1909 Illustrated London News. Thomson and Chavasse went into liquidation in 1927 and were at 68 New Street. Chavasse had previous been at 95 in 1863 and moved to 88 around 1870.

Also in 1870 he combined with Thomson who was at 68 New Street.

ACBC6412-E61C-46CD-9A22-D7C3DC0DDA48.jpeg

Like these New St pictures, realise we have other threads on the New St. theme but how do I search for them? The word "New" is deemed too short to search for and the word "Street" is a too vague to be much help.

Hi Jim. I merged several New Street threads a while ago. Most of the posts are now under the New Street Birmingham thread below. This was partly because of the problem you mentioned but also because there's a New Street in Aston.

Shall also merge all the posts on this thread into the New Street Birmingham thread. Viv. Edit. Threads now merged.

https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/for...ew-street-birmingham.38783/page-5#post-600876

Slushy snow at the top end of New Street

Late February when it tried to snow and didn't settle.

A view of New Street unfortunately no date but maybe clues in the pic. Looks like a Phase 1 Standard Vanguard on the left which only became available for the home market in 1951. Some decorative shields on the columns of the Town Hall and an old type belisha beacon crossing (not zebra) by the Forum Cinema. The man with the bike is trying his luck walking across it but cars did not always stop in those days.
NewSt1950s.jpg

Another full of action photo. I wonder if the decorative shields were for the Coronation in 1953? Two other items cross my mind here and the first is Ethel Street, on the left, a destination for some buses coming into the city from the south who terminated there thus avoiding the city centre loop. I am sure this was during the rush hours and allowed some buses to start the return journey empty. The other noticeable item is the bus stop. Not the usual type of supporting column! I notice a large Humber car. My second car was a 1954 Super Snipe. What a monster; more like driving a truck, hard to park in some areas, needless to say I did not keep it for long so I changed it for an Austin A40 which was much easier to park but could be a very bouncy ride on occasions.

Very eerie - must have been in there hundreds of times. Think there was once an entrance on Stephenson Street too. Viv.

Anyone know the history of this sculpture on Winston Churchill House on Ethel Street?

I assume it was made in the 1960s?

This is my 2010 photo of the building.

Bit hard to find any information on a Google Search (usually my old photo comes up on top!)

Screenshot (187).png
Found this picture on, dare I say, Facebook posted by Ray Nickolds. "Chamber of Commerce corner of Ethel St. and New St". By the vehicles must be about 1960, I learnt to drive in a van like that one on the left. I suppose New St. runs right to left and the ABC Forum would have been on the opposite corner.

Last edited:
View attachment 124424
Found this picture on, dare I say, Facebook posted by Ray Nickolds. "Chamber of Commerce corner of Ethel St. and New St". By the vehicles must be about 1960, I learnt to drive in a van like that one on the left. I suppose New St. runs right to left and the ABC Forum would have been on the opposite corner.

Chamber of Commerce moved to Edgbaston in 1960. Entrance to ABC Forum would have been slightly higher up New Street (to the right of the picture) not actually on the corner of Ethel Street

Last edited:
Byron is currently in the building at 91-93 New Street where the cinema used to be, corner with Ethel Street. At least on the ground floor.

Snowy view of New Street with Byron last month!

View attachment 124424
This picture is "bugging" me! Is it the corner of Ethel St? There seems to be too much incline on "New St". There doesn't seem to be another building to the left of the "Chamber of Commerce". Was there a branch of "Dunns" there in 1960?

In 1956 it is listed as Chamber of Commerce Buildings. 95 New St.This would have been where the big central doorway is, The 1951 map gives the central part as 95 and the left hand part as 95a

Screenshot (226).png
Similar view of New Street, 1921, Like the detail behind the façade of Galloway's Corner. (Britain from Above)

A nice selection of (1940s/50s ?) vehicles heading down New Street. Viv.

View attachment 127039
Interestingly enough, they all seem to be pre-war cars, including two Standard Flying 9sm (one saloon & 1 drophead), but can anyone sharpen the picture to identify the car coming down the left hand lane, could be an Austin A40 or a Jowett Javelin but then again I could be completely wrong. The other shiny radiator parked up by the bus looks like the pre war Morris 8 series E.
Bob

Back