• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Nechells

• Thread starter Thread starter angeleyes
  • Start date Start date
hi dave burton, where abouts in schofield street did you live,? i lived in rocky lane but i had a few friends in schofield st, jacky waldron, johnny beards, the taronis of course, a family named burton lived next door to me in rocky lane, i would love to see any old photos of nechells if anyone has any,ive lived in sutton for 40 years but i loved living down nechells, went to charley school, bit different now though.

Tommy put "Gosta Green Through Duddeston" in the serch box (top R/hand corner) there,s lots of imfo on there.Schfield St was off Rocky Lane up by Nechells Green. Dek

I lived on Melvina Road in Nechells. In the flats before they were knocked down. It was my friend who got killed on the tracks. We used to have great times there until then. It all went sour after that. We moved house to Acocks Green and i really missed Nechells. My mum used to work in the clothes shop there called Eileens.. We used to get our school uniform from there. There was a grocers and papershop, a bookies too where i found a fiver outside once. I was so excited i ran hom with it clenched in my hands to give to my mum.. I was about 5 then so 1975 it would be.. Lots of stories to tell of Nechells and very fond memories of salt of the earth people in a safe neighbourhood. How things change x

Rachel. I used to deliver papers to the flats in Melvina Rd. Remember them well. The shops you are talking about, are they the ones that virtually faced Duddeston train station? If so, Ive been in them quite a few times too, as we used to live in Queens Tower in Duddeston Manor Rd. And by the way, WELCOME TO THE SITE.

BazM did you ever play in the air-raid shelter at back of (i think Queens tower) just by the corner of Heneage St and Bloomsbury St. Dek

Dek. Thats one out of the blue. Im sure I must have at some time, but until you mentioned it I had forgotten all about it.

Bazz i lived in Erskine St off Vauxhall Rd all that area was my patch we never traveled far when we were young my best friend at school lived in Heneage St. Dek

Jean Melvina Rd was a new Rd built late 50s i remember them building the houses there was only one rd off it and that was Little Hall Rd at the bottom by the Community Center. Dek

Thanks for that Dek. I was wracking my brain trying to remember the name of that road LHR. And then I finally found my old trusty Birmingham A-Z.

Dek. If I recall right, didnt Erskine St run on to Inkerman St? If so, I used to spend a lot of my youth at the Railway Club there. Firstly drinking with my buddies, and then working there for a good while behind the bar.

Jean

Dek is certainly right, Melvina Rd didn't exist until the 60's when Little Hall Rd and Melvina Rd replaced the bottom end of Bloomsbury and Great Francis Streets.

I have no recollection of a Barford St or Road in Nechells, the only ones I know of are Barford St in Highgate and Barford Rd in Birmingham 16 Ladywood and Barford Rd Shirley.

Phil

Yes Bazz you,ve got it i never went into the Railway Club but when we were little we climbed over the back wall for a couple of empty beer bottles took them over to the Midland Tavern across the Rd for a few pence to buy sweets.Dek

Thankyou for the welcome @ Baz x Yes i know the Tower you are on about. I walked past it every day to school. Duddeston Manor ;o)... I lived in the first block on Melvina, it was block six flat 4 but we never had papers delivered. Could never afford them lol.. And the paper shop round the corner opposite the station almost, i worked in for an hour after school every day. I pulled too many sickies though and soon got the sack .. (what? i had friends to play with didn't i ;o) ..) no time for working in them days.. Not when i had some bonfire wood to collect anyway ha ha ha...
Your flats were by the Rocket weren't they ? ... I spent many a night sat on them steps with my sister while my mum was inside.. Great days.. Couldn't get away with it now though. It was ok once my mums mate ran the Rocket for a while, we could sneak inside and as long as we sat still we were fine.. She went on to run the Working mens club then down by the community centre.. That was fun too..
Nice chatting baz x

Hiya Amanda x
My mums name was Joan.. She worked in Eileens for years , she used to work in her other shop too over in was it Revesby walk? Or Bloomsbury Walk? I always get mixed up with the two.. It was the one over by Greenbank House anyway.. x
Her friend who worked there was called kathy.. She was lovely x
rachel.. ;o)

Hi Rachel welcome to the forum i remember the houses being built in Melvina Rd I was one of the first people to use the community center i remember queing waiting for the doors to open the first night i had a friend who lived in the flats his name was Melvin Wellard he had probably left by the 70s but his mom and dad might have still been there.The tower you walked past to school was South Tower it stood on its own I,m not sure if you would have been there the same time as Musical Youth but you probably remember them. I worked on the school when they built it i was an electrical apprentice. Dek p.s. have a look at the thread Henry Moore Statue theres a photo of the girl at the bottom of Melvina Rd+

Hiya Dek x
Thankyou for the welcome ;o)
I looked for a page for saying hi i'm new but couldn'r see one.. So hello to all o ye xxx
The community centre was great, i learnt to do Aikido there , my censei's name was John. he was my Auntys' son.. ( I know in real terms he would be my cousin but my Aunty hazel was my mums best friend and so became Aunty ;o) ... I also learned Judo too. The centre was fabulous. I loved it..
I was born in 1970 and grew up in Nechells until 1983.. I went to St Matthews and Duddeston, and YES Dek , Musical Youth were there at the time. It was so exciting then. The press were at the school lots. The music was ace.. Pass the Dutchie is still my fav 80's song even now lol..
I remember it being South Tower now too. Queens tower was down by Home tower wasn't it, and High Tower.. They were the three in a row by my Auntys club..
I also remember the statue at the bottom of the road too.. that long railway wall was covered in ivy too. It looked pretty with it's white flowers.. The statue was down the bottom, opposite the community centre.. Off to the right was saltley under the bridge and to the left was towards St Matthews..
I loved growing up down there.. Many many happy memories..
Incidently Dek, do you have any idea what the Melvina Flats were built on ?
I was told it was an old grave area but not sure if thats true..
Nice chatting
Rachel x

Rachel type Henry Moore in the search box (top r/hand corner of the page click on the magnifying glass to the right it should appear) on the map you will see Gt Francis St that was removed and they built Melvina Rd and Little Hall Rd with the houses in between them don,t think there was a church though just slum houses. Dek

Melvina Road was definately added next to the railway line.. I wonder if Little Hall Road was too or if it was just re-named as Great Francis Street.. I'll keep mooching and see what i can find ..
Cheers Dek x

In 1851 what was coleman St in 1890 was shown as part of lord St as can be seen from the map, and this agrees with the 1849 PO directory, which lists no colman or Coleman st. However the 1855 PO directory gives a Colman St (no e) starting from upper windsor st and intersecting with Henry St, so between the map and 1855 this part of Lord St (marked in red and corresponding to the Coleman st of c1890) must have been renamed. Hope that is what you want
Mike

daft as it sounds, even today at 71 i can still say to people" mind how you cross the 'orse road. " people look at me as if i am from another planet . but i know what i mean

also fetching my dad a pot of beer from the outdoor at the new inns on the corner of windsor street / gt lister street. as iremember it, the 14 bus terminus was at the bulls head in stechford /glebe farm. we lived at 242 windsor stret till 1956 when we were moved under "slum clearance" to heybarnes road small heath . ( thought we had moved to the country"

MIKE. I shall always be confused by those old maps ( To Me Lord Street was two blocks away from Coleman Street ) I don't dispute the map as it must have been drawn up right at the time.

Back