• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Nechells of the 50's & 60's

Re: re 50s

I'am looking for a picture of Taylor St, I have seen the Hyland Crowe shop corner view from Bloomsbury St, and a mobile shop parked halfway up it, but are there anymore?
I seem to recall that there was scrap car place over our wall in the back yard, was there an entrance in Taylor St, or other yard business there,

I wonder if anyone remembers Taroni's alsation dog, Kim, who used to drink beer from a beer tray at the Turks Head, he also liked crisps and scratchings, his owner used to say 'One at a time Kim, you can't eat them all at once!!!!' as he scoffed them. The dog used to go outside for a leak and come back in. Early evenings Kim could be seen waiting outside the pub door with his paw against it.........

Kev did he keep it at a yard in Scolfield St i remember you couldn,t walk within 10 yards of a gate up there and this dog tried to rip the door off. Dek

Remember it well at the scrapyard, but it wasn't Kim who bit me it was Anthony's dog across the road, corner of Scholefield St. -Rocky Lane outside their shop, Mrs Anthony took me in the shop and bathed my leg, and then gave me a big bag of mixed sweets, wonder what I would have got these days ?.

I wonder if anyone remembers Taroni's alsation dog, Kim, who used to drink beer from a beer tray at the Turks Head, he also liked crisps and scratchings, his owner used to say 'One at a time Kim, you can't eat them all at once!!!!' as he scoffed them. The dog used to go outside for a leak and come back in. Early evenings Kim could be seen waiting outside the pub door with his paw against it.........
I loved reading that, but it was only on the edge of my territory. Has anyone heard from Pete ? John was you thinking of a clip around the ear ?

Phil ---good point that maybe he,d been trained to collect empty beer or pop bottles like the rest of us. Dek

Dek, I will ask dad, but from what I can make out he seemed harmless enough.....
I remember the Argus man walking down from Scolfield St to the bottom of Taylor St, was that from a local shop.

Names from Taylor St, Mrs Williams who lived at the top of the yard, Mrs Hobbs, whose niece I believe was killed in M1 accident shortly after it opened, Mrs Austin, Hadden family, O'Mally,

Anyone hear of Dickie dallas....

Hi, just browsing through here.
I don't recognise your familyname, but perhaps you may know mine
I was born at number 60 Chattaway street in 1951, name Geoffrey Hopkins. I had siblings as follows Robert (Bobby) born 1939 stephen born 1941, and Gloria born 1945. Next door to us no 62 lived my Grandmother and her two brothers, her name was Cora Cockerill, her brother Jack Gammidge, who's brother kept the widdows (Victoria Hotel) and her brother in law Billy Cockerill.
would love to hear from you regards, Geoff Hopkins.

hi Geoff i am afriad i to do not recognise any of the names you have mentioned but after 58 years say no more but thanks for your e mail
all the best Brian Baker (cartwright)

Hi, just browsing through here.
I don't recognise your familyname, but perhaps you may know mine
I was born at number 60 Chattaway street in 1951, name Geoffrey Hopkins. I had siblings as follows Robert (Bobby) born 1939 stephen born 1941, and Gloria born 1945. Next door to us no 62 lived my Grandmother and her two brothers, her name was Cora Cockerill, her brother Jack Gammidge, who's brother kept the widdows (Victoria Hotel) and her brother in law Billy Cockerill.
would love to hear from you regards, Geoff Hopkins.
hi geoff where abouts on chatterway st was number 60 ,as for myself i was born in 1950 my house was on nechells park rd bur the entry was in chatterway st, your family name is in my memory but i cant be sure i sem to remember a billy cockerill , a few other family names from that st are as follows
turners/goldingays/clark/gren/parsons/little/cuson/oliver/kirby/hydes/astons/swift/bowyer/
has that jogged any memory cells
cheers ash

Number 60 was opposite the woodyard, about four doors down from ramsey road heading towards long acre. My mother was the caretaker of the church on long acre, can't remember what it was called. there were a huge number of my family in the area. My mothrs name was florrie, my father arthur. My uncles who lived at 62 were Charlie, jack, the twins Cora & clifford. Billy Cockerill was an old guy, very small, i seem to remember he only stood about5 feet four., I certainly remember the Goldingays and the clarks, Mr & mrs parsons lived next door to my grandmother. They used to have a chow dog, huge thing. they also used to breed rabbits. Swift seems to ring a bell. Do you remember Minni Pittaway??? I recall her as something of a character. We left Chattaway street in 1956, however my grandmother lived there until the early 70's I think. I also had unclesliving in the street for many years afterwards, Charlie & Carole lived at Number 15 I think. Clifford & Beryl lived almost opposite them, can't remember the number tho. If it's any help, my Brothers went to elliot street school, my eldest brother bob was at school with Johnny Prescott the boxer, he lived with his aunt, perhaps you remember the prescotts. Do you remember Gilly Potters shop on Long acre?

Number 60 was opposite the woodyard, about four doors down from ramsey road heading towards long acre. My mother was the caretaker of the church on long acre, can't remember what it was called. there were a huge number of my family in the area. My mothrs name was florrie, my father arthur. My uncles who lived at 62 were Charlie, jack, the twins Cora & clifford. Billy Cockerill was an old guy, very small, i seem to remember he only stood about5 feet four., I certainly remember the Goldingays and the clarks, Mr & mrs parsons lived next door to my grandmother. They used to have a chow dog, huge thing. they also used to breed rabbits. Swift seems to ring a bell. Do you remember Minni Pittaway??? I recall her as something of a character. We left Chattaway street in 1956, however my grandmother lived there until the early 70's I think. I also had unclesliving in the street for many years afterwards, Charlie & Carole lived at Number 15 I think. Clifford & Beryl lived almost opposite them, can't remember the number tho. If it's any help, my Brothers went to elliot street school, my eldest brother bob was at school with Johnny Prescott the boxer, he lived with his aunt, perhaps you remember the prescotts. Do you remember Gilly Potters shop on Long acre?
hi geoff well now we are getting somewhere your house was one of them with the very high steps and my best mate was stephen clark who lived in the house next to them front door on ground level ,i do remember that dog he was a bit nasty at times i seem to recall he bit me once ,as for the pitterways i was a good mate of lenny who now lives in needham st i also remember the little sweet shop on the corner of ramsey rd which was a couple of doors away from your house ,as you left when quite young
some of the names may be vague but i will list them for you so here goes
gregory turner / alan goldingay / john kirby / alan oliver / lenny and alan pitterway / derek david , and malchom swift /roger bowyer / terry hyde just a few to get you thinking and finally my full name
laurence ashford the church round the corner was the presperteryan not sure of the spelling not sure about the potters shop but i recall the hawkins shop on the same side as the foseco works
this should keep you thinking for a wile cheers ash

Back