• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Nechells Bonfire Night

• Thread starter Thread starter maggie
  • Start date Start date
M

maggie

There we all were in our back yard neighbours from the street ( those that were speaking that is and excited children being amazed by the sparklers they were allowd to hold. All at once there was an almighty bang which came from the next yard. as one we turned just in time to see an aluminium dustbin lid rise in the air and fall on the wash house roof. It appeared that the lads from the next yard were bored with our bonfire and decided to liven it up by placeing bangers in a dustin to see what happened. I heard that they had placed two bangers in the bin, it sounded more like twenty two.
Their mother went for them with the famous words "Come here you lot" this was the sign forn them to run across the road through a bomb site and disapear in St Clements Road until it was safe for them to return home.
Now me having a weird sense of humor thought that the wholel thing was funny.mom did not and a clip nround the ear soon took the smile from my face. We carried on with the bonfire with the flying dustbin lid was the topic of conversation
At least they waited until bonfire night and did not do it weeks before like today
maggie

maggie,

Do you remember the enormous bonfire they had on the corner of Ashted Row and Great Francis Street before they built the new school. This must have been around 62 or 63 just as they were finishing off the demolition work in the area. It springs to mind so easily because I cannot remember another one so large.

Pmc1947

bonfire

Yes it was organised by a mr kenny who i think lived in one of the tower blocks, i can remember foraging an old wind up gramaphone of it complete with a lot of records....would be worth a few bob today if i kept it :)

I too was at that Bonfire in Ashted Row (I lived on Gt Lister St and Kellett Rd) and I'm sure Kandor and some of his siblings were there also (His family had lived in 'Old Ashted Row', but were moved into Hindlow Close).
The Kids from all the flats in the area contributed to it, I'm sure almost every family in the area had something burning on that fire that night, I know we did.

POM :angel:

We used to have a massive one on the corner of Ward St on the bomb peck. The kids in the area would collect for weeks for it, it was the one night all the neighbours came together for the kids sake. Dads would light the fireworks and my Dad would make us a huge guy standing at least 6ft. A week or two before bonfire night we would go around the pubs and knock on doors asking penny for a guy please.
Happy days, You bet, but oh how I wished it was under control nowadays. The firework are so loud now and they are sold weeks before the 5th its a bloody nightmare.

Pomgolian,

I think the part of Ashted Row that Kandor lived in at the time was still standing, because I'm sure I was still living in Francis St at the time and had not then yet moved to Inkerman St.

pmc1947

pmc1947.

The year they were moved would have been about 1963 when Kandy was 11yrs old. I used to deliver their papers to their Ashted Row house, also to Dr O'Keefe's house which was across the road from 'The Robinson's ', that was when I worked for Harbon's on Gt Lister St.
Harbon's moved to Revesby Walk and became Bennet's when Mr Harbon's daughter tool over.

Pom :angel:

Pomgolian,

That sounds about right to me, I was 16 when we moved from Francis St to Inkerman St. So the big bonfire might have been in 62. My memory is really not that good at dates.

pmc1947

Back