• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Nechells - A Quick Wave From The Train

• Thread starter Thread starter maggie
  • Start date Start date
M

maggie

I lived in Nechells place which backed unto the railway line. Every year my father put me on the Glasgow train in the safe hands of the guard so that i may spend my summer holidays with his relations.

Standing by the carriage window I got ready to wave as the train passed our back yard. Mom would go round the back to Mrs coates, and the two of them would lean out of the window ready for a quick wave, along with the local children who stood on dustbins and toilet roofs to see me off. One day The train actually stopped right by our back yard, and mom was able to nagg again on how to behave with my aunt and uncle I was glad when the train set off

Happy memories you cant open windows on trains very far today in order to have a conversation. and you can bet that it would not be polittically correct for a guard to take care of a young girl,
maggie

Thats lovely maggie and brings back memories of our house at folliott rd that backed onto the railway and I remember mom used to stand on the back door step to wave to me.

Those were the days when you could afford to ride on a Train.

Lovely memories girls:)

Back