• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

National Trust Back to Back houses and memories of them

That brings back memories.I'm amazed none of our family ever had an accident going up or down those stairs, and God knows
how they got bodies out in a respectful manner when someone passed away.
joeboybollo that is a very good point..had not thought of that..like you i was born in a proper back to back..just 1 bedroon and 1 attic but have great memories

lyn

I'll get you started.I'm 78 and lived in proper back to back from birth to age 14. My kids find it hard to believe the general conditions,as they didnt have to live through those times, Still here though, with some happy memories and in good health
This may bring back some memories for you.

Attachments

• 4A85859C-D75B-45CF-911D-ED4C474E2EFF.jpeg
    4A85859C-D75B-45CF-911D-ED4C474E2EFF.jpeg
    113.2 KB · Views: 53
there back and soon will be in brum again

View attachment 185034

There's something to look forward to. :oops: On a short break in a rented house in Cheltenham a week ago I was bitten by what looked like a dog flea. Made me appreciate what the ancestors had to cope with.

Our 1950s back-to-back in Sparkbrook was infested with the little devils.
and our house in nechells was we hated going to school with the lumps on us., when he bedroom ceiling fell down on us one night there was hundred in the old horse hair plaster and laths. we had to go outside and wait for the estates to come out. that is when we was took for fumigating and emergency re homed that was just positively shocking

Thanks so much for this, Pete. This gives me a real insight into what it was like - I often find that the National Trust can romanticise the past. What a terribly tough time... Thanks again.
I lived in one, literally a stones throw from the National Trust show homes,which are much too tidy! Ours was very similar to the one mw0njm(Nechells dude) lived in.6 families sharing 3 lavatories and a brew house to do the washing in.I didnt realize it was hard going until I grew up

I thought it was cool to help nan mangling till I tried . Bent over, onee foot on the base to stop it slipping, enough pressure turn the handle , one hand to catch the clothes. I couldn't even turn the handle of the one in the kitchen!

I thought the houses looked great, then I rotated around to look at what you see looking out of the front door, oh my goodness!
It's a new side to the Hippodrome!
I know some of it was added when the Royal Ballet moved to Birmingham in the early 90s I think, they had very nice rehearsal studios added, someone I knew took me to have a look around.

It's a new side to the Hippodrome!
I know some of it was added when the Royal Ballet moved to Birmingham in the early 90s I think, they had very nice rehearsal studios added, someone I knew took me to have a look around.
Certainly nothing creative about the building though!

I lived in one, literally a stones throw from the National Trust show homes,which are much too tidy! Ours was very similar to the one mw0njm(Nechells dude) lived in.6 families sharing 3 lavatories and a brew house to do the washing in.I didnt realize it was hard going until I grew up
I lived in one in Lozells until I was 10. Shared outside toilet with next door neighbours and the two houses facing the street shared the other. Didn't know the building where washing was done was brew house until researching family history. Remember the large "cauldron" which was used and a place to lite a fire underneath (?)

I lived in one in Lozells until I was 10. Shared outside toilet with next door neighbours and the two houses facing the street shared the other. Didn't know the building where washing was done was brew house until researching family history. Remember the large "cauldron" which was used and a place to lite a fire underneath (?)
Same thing when we lived at 16 Alfred St in Aston. I always thought that the large cauldron was where the washing was done, although my uncles always seemed to spent a lot of time in there, we lived with my Nanna.

yes quite right richard...washing loaded in the top ...cast iron door on the front where we stoked the fire...steam everywhere

View attachment 193152
Just showed my wife your picture Lyn. She was was born and lived in Manhattan until she was ten. Her grandparents were Italian immigrants. She lived in a three story walk up. Looking at the picture she was amazed when I described how it worked and the sharing.
We just had a new floor put in our laundry room and were inconvenienced for about 3 days :) Oh how times hav3 changed!

Wow! Talk about a blast from the past! I see wha5 looks like part of the mangle off to the left side!
Its like the one I couldn't turn. Small Mangle on the right too at the front.
Where did they hang the washing, across their street,? In Lenny Henry's Three Little Birds it was hung across the windows. Would they have had the Italian type airers on pulleys?

Great picture
My mate's gran gave me an imagibary washboard demo. She stood behind it with a big block of soap and scrubbed up & down the bottom of it in the poss tub. For sone reason I didn't think you stood up. The granny had a small one on her sink in the 70s still.

Its like the one I couldn't turn. Small Mangle on the right too at the front.
Where did they hang the washing, across their street,? In Lenny Henry's Three Little Birds it was hung across the windows. Would they have had the Italian type airers on pulleys?
I can remember a clothes horse a bit like my bad drawing, three sections joined by hinges, which stood in front of the fire

dryin.jpg

Back