• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Nail Makers Of The West Midlands

Cliff2005

proper brummie kid
Hi everyone,

I'm working on the nail maker's cottage reconstruction at Avoncroft Museum in Bromsgrove. I'm trying to collect material to add to the archive about nail making locally and I'm collecting photos, stories, items etc relating to the trade and the buildings.

Anyone have any photos of nail making relatives, the nailshops or the homes they lived that would be interested in sharing??

Feel free to drop me a line at - nailer@avoncroft.org.uk

Many Thanks

Mark

Last edited:
Cliff have you tried pubs like the Nailers Arms to see if they have any photos? Many of the old pubs in and around Bromsgrove sometimes have them.

Hi Mark, you may already have seen these photos I put on a very old thread of a visit to The Black Country Museum.

Black Country Museum 30.3.09 Nail Makers 2.jpgBlack Country Museum 30.3.09 Nail Makers 3.jpgBlack Country Museum 30.3.09 Nail Makers.jpg

Hi Mark

I have no doubt that you have researched this subject thoroughly and have no doubt seen all these photos before, but just on the off chance that you may have missed them I will post them here. Northfield Birmingham was a well known place for Nailers around the Church Rd - Church Hill area. One of the photos is a row of Nailers cottages on Church Rd. Another is of a old nailers shop. then a drawing of a woman making nails, then one of the first nail making machines and an illustration of various horse shoe nails.

Attachments

• Northfield Church Rd.JPG
    Northfield Church Rd.JPG
    144.7 KB · Views: 55
  • dilapidated_nail_shop[1].jpg
    dilapidated_nail_shop[1].jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 53
  • girl_making_nails[1].jpg
    girl_making_nails[1].jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 58
  • nail_oliver[1].jpg
    nail_oliver[1].jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 49
  • nails2[1].jpg
    nails2[1].jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 47
Thank you both! Some really great pictures. Ive certainly never seen the old photo of the row of cottages in northfield before.

Have you see the two articles on The Nailmakers of Harborne and The Nailmakers of Birmingham from "Birmingham historian" 1988?

Cliff,

This Google capture shows on old Nailer's cottage that is still extant today. It's behind the Great Stone Inn on Church Hill in Northfield just adjacent to the church. You never know if you took yourself down there and explained what you were doing the owners might give you a tour of the old nail shop as it looks pretty much intact from the outside. I've also added another photo of the same cottage only its a bit older.

Attachments

• Northfield Church Hill 1958.JPG
    Northfield Church Hill 1958.JPG
    100.4 KB · Views: 27
  • nailers cottage.JPG
    nailers cottage.JPG
    101.6 KB · Views: 28
Cliff2005 In 1968 I bought a cottage in Bromsgrove being 57 Licky Rock. The deeds stated that the building ,that in present time was a garage ,years earlier was in fact a nail house, I don't know what this building looks like now, but for your investgation perhaps to know that a nail house existed there years ago maybe of interest.. I have a few photos of it as a garage with a lean-to green hose!!!

I definitely have at least one article from the Birmingham historian in my desk I think it was 'the nail makers of northfield', but it may be Harborne im not sure. I will check on monday.

I may have an investigate of the northfield cottage when Im round that way, thanks Phil!

Cliff2005 In 1968 I bought a cottage in Bromsgrove being 57 Licky Rock. The deeds stated that the building ,that in present time was a garage ,years earlier was in fact a nail house, I don't know what this building looks like now, but for your investgation perhaps to know that a nail house existed there years ago maybe of interest.. I have a few photos of it as a garage with a lean-to green hose!!!

Yes please!! Would really like to see your photos of the converted nailshop/garage if you have them! I dont suppose you still have your title deeds too??

Thanks

Mark

The two articles were available online, but the domain now seems to be up for sale, so,if you want a copy of the old downloads , then I can e-mail them to you

Cliff............... When I can get my head round how to send you the photos I will do ASAP. I no longer live in the house mentioned so I don't have the deeds.

mikejee - if you could email them over that would be great, as i say, im not sure if i have a copy or not.

Terryb18 - its the work email at avoncroft so i wont be able to check it till monday but Ill let you know when i get in....sounds interesting anyway!

anvil man - that's great. the deeds would have been great but it doesnt matter if you dont have them obviously.

Thanks for your help everyone : )

Cliff2005.............. So far unable to send photos mentioned earlier but have sent you a private email via BHF (or I think I have!!!!!!!!!!!!) I must admit I'm a bit dull when it comes to computers

Back