• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

My Mom [Aston Girl] and Dad and us kids - pics in B'ham 1940's onwards.

maz_beth

master brummie
in the back yard of the house in Parliament St. Aston.
I think mom was about 14 then [so about 1944]

mom14_2-1.jpg

mom when she was 18, so about 1948 [dark-haired one with dark jacket], her friend, the blonde-haired lady, used to live off Rocky Lane [won't give her name, out of privacy - they are still good friends today]

mom18.jpg

mom in Cannon Hill park - would have been the 50's

mompark.jpg

mom and dad's wedding at Park Lane Gospel Hall [1956]

momanddad.jpg

hi maz..what lovely family pics you have posted..thanks for sharing them with us.....do you have any pics of the houses in parliament st as one of our members has been searching for ages with no luck so far....

cheers

lyn

Hi Lyn
I scanned an old picture recently, but it's very creased

pst.jpg

the only other one I have that I can think of was taken from the Friends Reunited site, I think [as they have a Parliament st group there]

cannot remember who posted it..it shows the section and side of the street I lived on - we lived at 49 - this was outside 39 I think

Outside39PStDavidPritchettetc.jpg

one of the lads in it lived next door to us, and was a few years older than me

I have one or two more that dad took with us kids in, outside in Parliament St., [in the 1960's] but haven't scanned them yet

Smashing photos Maz thanks fo sharing them with us

Mau-reece

I've tried to clean this one up a bit, but it's very badly damaged.
Lovely family photos, great that they survive.

hi maz....thanks so much for the pics...john will be delighted with them...and Lloyd thank you also for the clean up job...much appreciated...and maz i will look out for the others when you have got time to scan them...

many thanks

lyn

Last edited:
maz
what great pics of your family dosn't cannon hill park look lovley, just as I remember it from the 50's,
lloyd
marvalous what you do with old photos
paul

I've tried to clean this one up a bit, but it's very badly damaged.
well done..
I sometimes try with the free Photobucket editing tools [I did with the two of my mom at 14 and 18 above]
but it takes me absolutely ages!

thanks for the nice comments all

will post some later if I can

have a few taken in Aston Park

P.S. My mom has got loads more old photos, which I'm sure will have Aston in them, and other parts of Brum
I really need to visit her and sort through them, so I can scan them into the computer
this preserves them as well
[it's brilliant we can do this these days - my dad would have loved it - as he used to take pics and develop them himself when he could]

Parliament street a long time coming we are looking from Webster street you can see the school sign for Burlington street school with Park lane at the top thanks for the photograph John H

I have mirrored the photograph as it was the wrong way round you can Mrs Geggs shop on the right and just above jennings the basket carriage yard I will try and restore it later

Last edited:
thanks John
I couldn't work out which direction it was looking at
my dad [if he took it] must have took it over the road from where they lived then

nor me john...hey mossy at least we both know we dont need glasses....maz..yes i think you are right about it being an outdoor...

lyn

Maz-beth those early photos of your mom is just how I remember her, she is quite a few years older than me, but in those days we seemed to know everybody. I look forward to John cleaning up the photo.

I have mirrored the photograph as it was the wrong way round
then it could have been taken outside of 49 and that car could have been one of my dad's old bangers, as he had a few of them black ones secondhand at various times

I will try and restore it later
oh, that would be great - only as you get time though

yes, Sylvia, she is 80 this year...I was on the phone to her not long ago today and said we were back in touch and she reminisced about a few things

This is the best I can do with how badly it was damaged.
I would like to scan it myself if possible John H

John. thank you very much indeed
well done :thumbsup:
that makes so much more sense now, as it would be outside where we lived at 49 where the pic was probably taken, or thereabouts
as I mentioned, my dad was an amateur photographer and developer, so he may have developed it the wrong way round [that vaguely rings a bell as happening sometimes, I think]

I would like to scan it myself if possible John H
I'll see if I still have it [I think I have]
or if I gave it back to mom...but if I have I can get it back

edit: I know there is at least one more taken from about that place on P. St.
it's of me and my 2 younger siblings standing in front of the current van my dad was driving at the time - a 'Roberts' van...which I think was tyre delivery, although am not sure.

maz_beth do you have any negatives of thes old photographs what happened to your Dads photography work ?
John H

Hi Maz and welcome to the forum. Lovely photos and thanks for posting them. Haven't we met before?

Graham.

maz_beth do you have any negatives of thes old photographs what happened to your Dads photography work ?
John H
I think there are undeveloped negatives John
or maybe he developed them [or took them in to be developed sometimes], but kept the negatives

I'll have to try to visit mom as she has lots of old photos etc

this was my dad, and I think it's in Wheelwright Road, Erdington, where he first lived when he came over from Ireland in about 1950, with an elderly lady from the church he joined.
Maybe someone will recognise if it is that road, or another

dadcar.jpg

me and my younger brother on one of the benches in Aston Park
[I wonder if anyone can remember where that bench is, I remember it well]

index.jpg

Some lovely photos there Maz , thank you for sharing them .
the photo above looks like it was taken in the grounds of Aston Hall .
looking forward to viewing your other photos .
ragga ......

Back