• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

moor st/dale end

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
cracking pic of moor st/dale end 1886...

moor st is one of the oldest streets in the city. its early name was mole street. a corruption of molendum...a mill...there was a water mill here until the end of the 17th century. people of note who have lived here include william lench the founder of lenches trust..john baskerville..john freeth the poet. robert smallbroke and edward colmore.

Brilliant picture Lyn. If you ever come across one of Moor Street near the Bull Ring - I am interested in No 3 Moor Street - so think of me please.

Shortie

Brilliant picture Lyn. If you ever come across one of Moor Street near the Bull Ring - I am interested in No 3 Moor Street - so think of me please.

Shortie

will do shortie..i was lucky to get that pic..i bought a brum book for 50p from a charity shop where i do a few hours voluntary work...there are some cracking pics in it...will keep em peeled..

lyn

I had a talk to Dean Wrenshaw the other day about Villa street, asked him if he had any old photos. I'm afraid not.! XX

hi lynn ;
so mole street ran from dale end to through costa green down to moor st; towards the aston rd north
because midland counties dairy was in mole street coming from moor street coming towards aston cross way passing the nurse homes that worked at the general hospital
which was next to the old central fire and mole street ran through to bagot street
have a good day best wishes astonian

your welcome dotti....going through the book again today to see if there are anymore interesting ones...

lyn

Astonian, I think you are confusing MOLAND Street with Mole Street. Moland Street ran from 80 Aston Street to Bagot Street.

Morning shortie,I feel sure you would have seen this picture,i believe it has been on the forum before.It shows Moor Street from High Street.View attachment 67412Moss.

This is a the sort of photo I love to see moss. How nice that Matthew Jones was "Potato Salesman to the Queen"! He was obviously a very respectable trader with with his "by appointment" crest above the shop. And I hadn't realized that Freeman, Hardy, Willis was a long established shoemaker either. I must have bought a fair number of shoes from that company over the years. Viv.

reposting pic of moor st dated 1886

img711.jpg

I think this picture shows Carr's Lane looking towards Moor Street.If it is Carr's Lane,does anyone know the name of the pub as a mates mother worked there.Moss

Attachments

• s Lane toward Moor St,on way to be broken down at Kyotts Lake Rd 4th July 1953..jpg
    s Lane toward Moor St,on way to be broken down at Kyotts Lake Rd 4th July 1953..jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 71
Might it be Albert Street?
No, it was Carrs Lane on this occasion, trams emerged from Dale End to High Street, to reverse to go down Albert Street would have been tricky especially as the overhead had been removed by this late date. By continuing across into and down Carrs Lane gravity assisted cars to roll down the gradient to Moor Street. Here the cars could be rewired as the wire was still live on that Moor Street section. In the photographs heavy gear is standing by, the wires were still connected along the Coventry Road as far as Arthur Street Depot, and also live to Kyotts Lake Road (not however along Bradford/Rea Street )

Heres a photo of the pub taken from the Moor St end, the name is on the frontage.

Attachments

• City Corner PH Moor St - Carrs Lane.jpg
    City Corner PH Moor St - Carrs Lane.jpg
    231.5 KB · Views: 69
Thanks Phil and Bernie, thats the picture i was hoping for Phil.My mate thought she called it The Corner but the only one i recall with a similar name was The Corner Cupboard in Union Street.
Moss

On the 1889 map the part of the buildings slightly to the right of the kink in the line of them was the London works, which was a printing works. they follow the line of Paternoster Row. In 1932 (the picture is dated 1931) the only firm listed in Paternoster Row was Woolfe & Blumenthal Ltd, underclothing manufactrs

On the 1889 map the part of the buildings slightly to the right of the kink in the line of them was the London works, which was a printing works. they follow the line of Paternoster Row. In 1932 (the picture is dated 1931) the only firm listed in Paternoster Row was Woolfe & Blumenthal Ltd, underclothing manufactrs
Thank's for that Mike.

Hi
Thanks for posting the photo on post number 17, it shows a advertisement for my ancestors business
The Birmingham Pantechnicon (John Glew & Co) at 67 & 68 Great Hampton Street this is great as I have been
unable to find many photos, anybody got any ideas how to find out any more info.
The business ran from 1859 until 1908 various locations over Birmingham.
Thanks Cath

I've got an idea that the Corner was originally the Aquarium Pub and had a 'fish' theme in the tiles around the bar. I believe an e-boxer was the landlord at one time - Jabez White and he was always challenging people to 'crack nuts' with him, whatever that entails - any ideas?

Many years ago there was an holding cell for drunks and etc
which in as many years later became a single mans toilet which stayed empty and unused for a decade or two even when i was a little nipper
walking back with mom and grandmother whom mentionioned it to my mother was it was and i never forgotten it
and i was thinking about some of the thread was stating about high walls and pasage ways thinking it may have been under ground tunnels around to the police station and steel house lane as there is many many pasages down under ground within miles of that place
which brings me back to the info; regading me got crossed wires and yes it was pleck lan
and on the subject what i was thinking of involving legal and the police holding was of course the subject as been disgussed many time was
winson green prison as to when it was first built
which i have spoken off over the years
as we all know that the first cell door creaked open on 17 october 1849 and was quickly closed on the occupant
and the very first prison was opennd in peck lane and thats where my mind got confused and warranted me to asked for the map
and cross check it as i could not think of it being by m spencers and new street area as i thought with the passages
as i have said the first prison in brum openend in peck lane in 1730 and a latter prison excisted on moor street
before winson green
thinking back to the golden years of birmingham city moor street was virtualy across the road from marks and spencers
which covered along side old carrs lane and there was old shops little shops and gun smiths next to each other
and one was jelfs shot gun specials and marks and spencers only sold clothes on that side
it was many years later marks and sparks took over another site across from there clothes hop for foods
and many years later they combined there store into two sections food and clothing
crooked lane was only a stone throw from moor street and the old thearter that was there then the electic movies and later became a pub
where you would walk up some steps to get in but never suvived and next to that there was the gov, motor taxation office for your vechicle before moving to oozells street off broad street aqnd thats where the thearter wold of actors stored all there millions of costums and purchasd there make up
and on broad strre facing the tow rope was he bbc broad casting house
aAstonian;;;;;;;

Last edited by a moderator:
Back