• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Model of Odeon Theatre,B'ham

There was also an article and picture yesterday in the London Metro (or maybe the Standard - can't remember which!)
What an amazing model, all those hours of work - I really hope it finds a worthy home.

I worked at the Odeon for five years in the 1980's when it was still a single screen cinema,to allow for the mixing desks used for live concerts several seats were removed leaving 2,579. The General Manager was Chris Mott and the Manager was Charlie (not Charles) Chester. There were regular concerts on the giant cinema organ given by Steve Tovey and other guest organists. When the Odeon was opened 1936 it was as The Paramount. During my time there I met many famous people including Johnny Cash and Peter, Paul & Mary. Chris Mott's favourite performer was the medium Doris Stokes who mentioned him several times in her books.

Back