• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

MMMmmmmm.....

• Thread starter Thread starter Kandor
  • Start date Start date
K

Kandor

Sugar sandwiches..
Dripping,
Bacon Dips
Tea you could stand a spoon in,
Toffee Apples,
Mivi's
Flying Saucers.
Aztec bars
Spangles
Sambos and chicks.

:D Pink & White sugar mice with string tails, Love hearts, Kali in yellow tubes with a liquorice straws and Arrow bars. 8)

my favourite things

Aww Pom, those sugar mice, I forgot those!
I've just remembered Jublee's...those Titanic sinking, blocks of ice
And I've also just remembered Jamboree bags, but I knew them more as Lucky bags..
and finally..Bazooka joes.
(well, finally for quarter to five in the morning)

Aztec Bars

Hey Rod,

They stopped making Aztec bars after Cortez closed all the Pubs down.

Kali

Pom the tubes with the Liquorice stick in were Sherberts. Cortez had a bit of a mean streak daint he :lol:

I remembered another couple of things, what about Spanish Gold? a sort of lookalike tobacco? My mum loved it too, so if I had bought some of that and took it home, I had to share it :roll: Does anyone remember MoJo's I bought them by the hundredweight......

:D Rod your right it was Sherbet :oops: But what about 'Wagon Wheels' those big round chocolate biccies. Dolly mixtures, Swizzles, 'Black Sambo's' 4x1d, and Pineapple lumps ( the Pineapple Lumps here are soft covered in chocolate-not as nice as the hard ones) 8)

Age is getting to me - Help. Have sat here trying to recall those sticks we used to get that were like little branches. One sucked them and a yellow dye came out of the fibres within. I recall our mouths being stained yellow and all the kids sticking their tongues out to get the acclaim of the yellowest tongue. This ageing thing is no fun if you cannot recall all the fun.

Liquorice?

A. Willoughby Didnt Liquorice do that? Well it did to me, I mean the Liquorice roots we used to get from the chemist, they were little sticks, a bit like a twig of a tree, but softer?

Pom we can still buy Wagon Wheels!, although I am certain theyre nowhere neer the size they were as kids, also the taste isnt the same, a sad reflection as far as I concerned

Does anyone remember Troach Sweets, a taste all of their own? Kop Kops? Herbal Tablets? Rainbow Kali, Proper Humbugs, the sort that filled your gob? :wink:

Mmmmmmmmm

Rod......I buy troach tablets every winter - the only sure thing to soothe a persistant dry cough.
And Swizzles ....and purple hearts......and swizzles on a necklace
Food wise............ya cant beat my mother in laws bread puddin! WWIII commences here, when we get to the last slice :guns:

A. Willoughby is talking about licourice root. You can still get it here but in health food stores. I liked pontefract cakes, dolly mix and pear drops (even though they smelled like solvent!).

They are on their way back...what......childhood sweets!!!!

I read abut this new website a few days ago in the newspapers here in Vancouver and this weekend the article is published in the
Birmingham papers.

Here is the article: The website is at the bottom for the sweeties.

Sweet dreams from Brum

By Alison Dayani

Nostalgic sweet sensations from Flying Saucers to Sherbet Fountains are fizzing back into prominence after an internet entrepreneur contacted a city confectioners.

Birmingham chocolate company Cadbury's Trebor Bassett is making sweet dreams come true by supplying a new online sweetshop with traditional favourites.

Now millions of people across the world can dip into the old penny treats that can no longer be found in jars at the corner shop by logging on to the A Quarter Of website.

Owner Michael Parker, aged 37, came up with the tantalising idea while reminiscing with his brother in a pub over childhood treats - and he’s making a mint from the business.

He delved deeper and was delighted to discover that Cadbury-owned Monkhill Confectionery was still making Kola Kubes, Pineapple Chunks, Pear Drops and many more.

“People are so happy when they are reunited with their favourite sweets that we have hundreds of e-mails thanking us,” said Michael.

“A lot of people ask us to find different products that we have never even heard of. Sweets are very regional, you see. In the past year our stock has gone up from 200 types of sweets to 470.

“Working around sweets isn’t as good as it sounds. My favourite is Kendal Mint Cake. We have a rule that you can eat as much as you like, but you become very selective after gorging yourself!”

Evening Mail cartoonist Colin Whittock, who drew for cult magazine Whizzer & Chips, has also come on board to create sweetshop designs and comic style pictures.

“Sweets are something that brings back lovely memories for everyone, which is why this company is so popular,” said Mr Whittock.

Anyone interested in finding their favourite traditional sweets can visit www.aquarterof.co.uk

I'll just add this...If you are ever in Walsall, find Bridge Street and
the shop called "The Chocolate Box". This shop is amazing and it's like walking back into the l950's. They have every kind of bottled sweets
you can remember. They also sell tobacco.

Food, glorious food.

I remember when I went off to School, Mom always gave me two pieces of toast to eat with my school milk.
They were always wrapped in 'Mothers pride' grease proof paper.
As soon as I got to school in bad weather I popped them onto the radiator to keep warm.
Then at breaktime I used to get my little bottle of milk and I tell you now, it was a feast fit for a King.

sweets

hi remember the home made sweetshop in gt lister st they sold troach mint sweets tofee apples etc the smell was mouth watering. great site.

ROD. GADENMARY. Trouch and l beleive the other was aniseed, My Gran used to buy them for me from Atkins sweet shop in Lister Street.  l was lucky enough to find someone who was selling Trouch a few years ago in the market, just had to stop and buy some and memiors of my gran came flooding back like you say, they have their own unique flavour.

Trouch.

Can you still buy trouch these days? I guess the only place to look is on the Birmingham market, I have never seen it on sale outside of Birmingham so is it unique to Birmingham?
Jean. I agree those pear drops do smell like solvent and the taste is yuk.

Can you still get those pink spearmint bars or choc stix they were like boiled sweet stick with chocolate in the middle same shape as the barley sugar stick and the five boys chocolate.

'Yum' to all the already listed ol' sweet favourites. I remember Nutty Logs (little bars of cheapy chocolate about 3" long) as well. Also Penny Bell Boy chewing gum from the 1960s.
When I do manage to get down to Brum, my son & I love to go to the market to get herbal tablets etc (from that little stall in the middle of the Rag market.)
Kali was great too wasn't it, in those little cones from the local corner shop.
Anyone remember 'Jublys'(ice lolly pyramid shape), they always affected my breathing & made me very wheezy!

A few years ago I was reminded of the old troach drops when I once bought some 'organic' toothpaste, which was flavoured with fennel. Earlier this year I went in one of the many chemists in Berlin for some cough drops. We ended up buying two sorts, one of which also tasted of troach drops. The packet said the main ingredient was fennel.
Incidentally, I did our fish tonight with fennel fried in a little butter, which tasted much more yummy than the troach drops.
Peter

Trouch.

Peter. Thank you for your comment, I think I remember buying it as I have known it from years ago ( a kind of broken up slab toffee so I never knew the ingredients.)

They say it's a myth that they have got smaller, but I think they are smaller, I think most chocolate bars are.

From the Sunday Mirror today. Len.

Hi Len

So its the Caramel ones that are coming back! I didn't think the ones you can buy now were a patch on the ones in the 1950's. I used to buy them from a shop at the top of Camp Hill just before the Ship pub. I'll have to
look out for them, but I'm another who doesn't think that the Wagon
Wheels you can buy now are as big as the original ones. Perhaps my hands have got bigger!!

Kind regards

Dave

Hi Len

So its the Caramel ones that are coming back! I didn't think the ones you can buy now were a patch on the ones in the 1950's. I used to buy them from a shop at the top of Camp Hill just before the Ship pub. I'll have to
Wheels you can buy now are as big as the original ones. Perhaps my hands have got bigger!!

Kind regards

Dave
I must admit i never liked them but i know they were very popular. Len.

Hi Len

Kind regards

Dave
Previous thread. Len.

'Morning All,
The time is 3-15 A.M. yet another sleepless night !
Did anyone have corned beef stew when they was lickle???
My mom used to buy up the scrag ends of corned beef and make a huge pot of it.
There was lots of onions in it { to keep the germs away } and such a lot of pearl barley you could stand
a spoon up in it. But as my mom used to say " it was one way to fill our bellies " We didn't have any plates
we had an assortment of old basins and these were used whatever food we had. It was a bit like a lucky dip.
we just dug in our spoons and waited to see what came out.
One of my jobs was to call at the Convent on the way home from school to ask if they had any stale bread.
they found some for me on most days and we would have it for tea with a scraping of marg. or sometimes
lard -with salt on . Ah.....the good old days of yesteryear ? ? ?
On that happy note I will try yet again to go to sleep.
Betty.

Back