• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Mill Stones

Frothblower

Lubrication In Moderation
I've lived in Erdington all my life but I have only just noticed the broken mill stones built into the old wall on Kingsbury road that used to be the wall for Glenthorne house, now Ardenleigh centre.

Great find Froth. A long shot, but would these stones be old enough to have come from Bromford Mill which was grinding corn until the 1600s? The mill was converted to forging after that. It belonged to Erdington Hall. Anyone any ideas of what type of mill stones these are? They look quite small to me.

Also the Wikipedia list of Warwickshire Windmills lists two 1830s Erdington mills. Could the stones have come from one of these - they're listed as watermills rather than windmills. Sound more industrial to me. The details aren't very helpful.

za4y4usa.jpg

Any mill experts out there?

Viv.

Yes I think they may be grinding stones too, however well spotted. There were a number of grinding stones making up the canal bank just south of Salford bridge I noticed a few years ago.

There is a hill near here, on the Cheshire/Staffs border, called Mow Cop.
There are large millstones to be seen there, near the summit , that have been partly cut from the gritstone and then abandoned.
While I have no idea how old they are, I was wondering if there's a connection with the Erdington ones.

Back