• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Mike Hailwood Memorial Run & Pictures

Hi all,I've just got home after attending the start of the Mike Hailwood Memorial run.Fantastic turn-out,an official figure of 100 motorcycles in attendance, with more still arriving.It's good to see people still care about their hero's, and when you stand in Bracebridge Street, it blows your mind when you think of the number of world -famous riders have stood in the very same place,cheers all, Mal.

Hi Lyn nice photo,s on photo 19 the red bike was David Hailwoods bike.
I was at Tanworth and chatted to him, it was nice to be there and to visit as so many did this morning his Dad and his sisters grave very emotional.
What a fantastic turn out i was a big fan of Mikes, i have lot,s of memories,
it was a cold and crisp day but it did,nt deter his loyal fans the sun was shinning lot,s of old and new bikes i remember and have ridden over the years happy days.
posted a few pics, regards Derek

It was so nice to be a part on a lovely sunny Sunday morning.
i,m sure, there will be so many photo,s this is my contribution.
regards Derek

Last edited:
hi derek...it was a great turn out...i counted at least 130 in bracebridge st...thanks for your pics they are great..didnt know the red one was david hailwoods....

mally...i didnt know you were there...you should have come up and said hello...i was the only female non biker taking pics....i can only remember one man who i think must have been with his wife...maybe that was you...

lyn:):):)

thanks frothy..it was nice that i could cover the start of the run and derek was there at the end of it with his pics....now thats what i call team work....

lyn:)

John I hope you don't mind I was in Tanworth a few weeks back and took a photo from almost the same place.

Hi Lyn,yes you're right I should have found you,I couldn't spot any likely candidates.We should have arranged a rendezvous, I was a non-biker, wearing a brown leather jacket,you probably saw me.We must have passed within inches of each other, pity, we could have had a good old chin-wag,maybe another time? Mal.p.s. some fine old British machinery there,I also didn't realise Mike's son was there,I should have known he would be, he's very supportive of anything to do with the memory of his father.

Thanks everyone for the photo,s and chat about the run today, see my old mate Melvin was there with his Norton ES2. John 70

hi mally....i will check and see if i got a pic of you...i was mainly on the other side to the bikes clicking away....there was talk of the forum setting up the sale of badges etc...be ideal for times such as yesterday..if we were wearing them we are easily identified....

anyhow i think it was a great turnout and i did get a pic of mikes son david although i didnt realise then who he was:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

hi mally..only one i can find with someone wearing a brown leather jacket is this one...

is it you....

It,s a shame to not show them i,ll put them on disc and then delete them off my camera,so i,ve put some more on for the biker fans like myself.
Derek

Last edited:
This gentleman tend,s mikes grave in Tanworth,and a very nice job he does,
he was about to put the plate he was holding on the grave.
as a piece of useless info, but maybe of interest to an enthusiast?
the man is riding, what i thought at first was a volocette thruxton,
but it,s got a Honda engine,and it may show at the bottom of and as it goes i did,nt take a pic of his bike but at the bottom of his number plate it says- IVOR NO VELO- interested maybe not?
And just as a parting shot on the monument to the mighty fallen
opp the church it says to the memory of those who gave there lives in the 1914-1919 war??? Derek

just found this one of mikes son david....i have been told that his helmet is the same gold colour as his dads was...hes the one with the red stripes on his jacket...

astoness

lol derek....wished i had know though...i would have said hi to him...
never mind i will collar him next time.....:rolleyes::rolleyes:

hi all...having been to mike hailwoods memorial run has spured my otherhalf into getting out the family heirlooms....his dad competed in the isle of man TT races during the forties and fifties winning many trophies and he also owned a cycle shop on the hampstead road...when i have gone through everything and scanned photos i will post under the appropriate thread and hope you all find it of interest....

It,s a shame to not show them i,ll put them on disc and then delete them off my camera,so i,ve put some more on for the biker fans like myself.
Derek

Hi Derek,

Picture 4 is an Ariel Colt. I had one of these in the early 60's, and
understood that as Ariel had become part of the BSA Group, BSA
killed off this model as it competed with their C11. Only a 200cc bike
though, not a 250.

Kind regards

Dave

hi all. just wondered if anyone would have saved the the pictures i posted of the mike hailwood run and if so could you please repost them for me...

many thanks..

lyn..

ps..or is it possible for admin to recover them..

The 2011 event took place from Bracebridge St, I have uploaded four photos so far https://www.flickr.com/photos/transport_photos/sets/72157626307632000/ the plan is to load more shots when I am feeling better I am nackered at the moment the bikes took about six mins to pass me I did take over 200 photos so there should be one or two that I can use, the plan is to put the video footage onto YouTube but not for a couple of days as I have to edit it first enjoy

hi all...here are details of a worthwhile event coming up at the end of this month..

THE MIKE HAILWOOD MEMORIAL RUN.

11.15 AM ON THE 29TH OF MARCH 2009

DEPARTING FROM THE FORMER NORTON MOTORCYCLE FACTORY IN BRACEBRIDGE ST..ASTON.

ARRIVING AT TANWORTH IN ARDEN...WARKS..

THE RUN IS OPEN TO ANY RIDER ON A MOTORCYCLE (EVEN CARS ARE VERY WELCOME)

HOPE TO SEE SOME OF YOU THERE...

ASTONESS:)

Back