• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Metro-Cammell Nostalgia.

I worked there for 27 years and i am on the photos,best place i ever worked

Maurice

My brother is Bob Jennings. I know it was a massive employer though.

I lived in Washwood Heath in the 60s and remember the carriages being brought out on low loader lorries and making their way slowly down the road. Quite a sight.

Last edited:
All of my family originated in Ward End (St Agatha's Road) however my grandparents moved to Stechford Road soon after I was born, Grandad worked at the Met (20's - 60's) as a carpenter or Coach Builder as they were called I believe and he gave me a piece of wood from the stores(which I still have) which sinks i water....Ernest Wain if anybody remembers him (He was 6' 5")

i remember the pullman being built at the works,When were kids we would
sneak in the grounds.along the railway track,which crossed aston church rd.and hope the security guard did not catch us.if he did he only told us off bless him.

My Dad, Albert Bennett worked at The Met from 1936 to 1984. He ended up as night manager and they made him redundant when he was 62. As a child I was really proud to tell everyone that my Dad worked at Metropolitan Cammell Carriage and Wagon Company Limited. One of the lads in my class lost his Dad when he was crushed under a sheet of metal that fell on him from above at The Met. he could only have been very young. I remember the Christmas parties and Saturday nights at the club, particularly the smell of the cheese and onion cobs behind the bar. I worked there myself when I left school as a tracer in the drawing office and well remember the roar of the chaps in the factory when I had to take drawings to the print shop. My kneees used to knock when I was asked to go over there. This was in the late sixties so I used to wear mini skirts like everyone else and walking up the open metal steps to the print room was awful. It was good natiured, I now realise, but really hard to deal with when only 16. Anne

Oh my goodness I searched the photo for my brother Robert (Bob) Jennings he must be there as he was at Alstom at this time in the office. He often spoke of the Pendolino...great photo Richard...x

Back