• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Mens Shopping

coopbill7

very old brummie
Does anyone of you bar men remember zizmans? (I think that's the way to spell it) was it at the bottom of Hill street?

I remember Zizmans but never ever did I go into one of the shops.... I shopped for clothes I bought in Oasis.. Loons, Tank Tops flowery shirts and bright acrylic jumpers. I always purchased Wranglers too never ever Levis, they just didnt do it for me. Thing about Oasis was if you breathed in deeply you felt really good about buying clothes :cool: parts of the place was full of wacky backy smoke.

I remember a great Tailor in A.B row he used to Tailor suits for Birmingham and villa players but unfortunately I can't remember his name, any ideas please?

The only shop I can find in Kellys across a number of years is Evans..... He's just listed a s a shopkeeper. I will have another look at Tailors though.

The only shop I can find in Kellys across a number of years is Evans..... He's just listed a s a shopkeeper. I will have another look at Tailors though.
Thank you Rod for looking up this up for me,but to be honest I would not recognize the name I just remember having a suit made by him, and thought maybe another member may have had one made by him. believe it or not mine was POWDER BLUE to go with the D.A. and the brothel creepers :cool:

there used to be a mens shop in grt lister street in nechells if my memory serves me right called bernstiens?;)

A lot of sportsmen boxers footballers ect used to get theire suits made at Pressburgers,now im not sure if this i correct his first shop was on the Horsefair and then moved to Hurst St perhaps some one can confirm this:shocked:Mossy

I bought most of my "trendy gear" at Nelson House but had been known to frequent Zissman's a couple of times. I bought my suits from Jacksons or Burtons. I always envied my elder, plush brother who shopped at Hornes.

Back