• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Men commemorated at Key Hill Cemetery

W

Wendy

These were passed onto me today by Colin Giles I think only one is buried at Key Hill but I have not checked. The names may help some researching families also buried in the cemetery.

Private Benjamin T Robbins killed in France Oct 5th 1917

Donald Leslie Fanford Craig M.C. Lut R.F.A. killed in Yprees July 31st 1917

Private J Warner April 3rd 1917

Private Jarvis Chew died July 29th 1918

Private Leonard G Wheeler of The Royal Warks died in hospital Oct 23rd 1917 buried in cemetery

Commonwealth War Graves
Barnes Ernest Richard, Private, Army Service Corps.
660th Mechanical Transport Coy.
Age 27.
D.O.B. 19/7/1916
Service No M2 150713
Son of Albert Edgar and the late Edith Sarah Barnes of Cavendish Road. Rotton Park. Birmingham.
Commemorated Alexandra (Hadra) war memorial cemetery Egypt.

Family Memorial Key Hill Cemetery.
Private E.R. (Dick) Barnes A.S.C. M.T.
Died 19th July 1916

If anyone has any more info on Ernest I would be greatfull.

I have managed to locate all but two of the men listed below. Private Benjamin Robbins and Donald Leslie Fanford Craige who acording to the inscripton won the M.C. I am not sure if the names are correct as the information was given to me. This is for a project at Key Hill Cemetery where hopefully school children can be involved in adopting a grave and keeping it tidy. The chair of the Friends of Key Hill, Dick Empson came up with the idea. He said it may help educate youngsters about the consequences of war. I am just trying to help with background info. Any help would be appreciated.

Donald Leslie Langford Craig RFA MC is the correct name.
he is remembered on his fathers memorial.
Says he was killed at Ypres 31/7/1917.

Does anyone know how to find out what he got his Military Cross for?
He was in the Royal Foot Artillery.

I know you can look up V.C.s but cannot see anything similar for M.C.s

This memorial has intersted me for a while, but I cannot make progress on my limited google searching.

Any pointers would be welcome

Cheers Otherhalf,

I tried Wikipedia, but they do not have Craig. The RFA 's own site did not seem to help. The forum looks like the best shot - i'll give it a try.

We have many soldiers remembered at Key Hill by their families, but this MC seems to be our highest honour (so far).

hi all
I think you will find that Lt Craig was in the "Royal Field Artillery" they have a memorial in
Trafalgar Square.
regards
paul

Hello Wendy:

I know that this is a very old thread but I hope the below is of interest none-the-less.

Cheers

Andy

Donald Leslie Langford Craig was the son of the late Dr. John Smith Craig and Edith Mary Craig. Copies of the 1881 & 1901 census show all the members of the Craig household.

He was educated at King Edward School Birmingham from 1905-1915 and commissioned Second Lieutenant into the 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] South Midland Brigade RFA (TF) in July 1915 being promoted to Lieutenant on 20 July with precedence as from 1 June 1916.

RFA is indeed Royal Field Artillery.

He went to France in October 1916 and posted to 531 Battery, RFA

Lieutenant Craig was awarded the Military Cross that was announced in the London Gazette of 26 September 1917 and the citation followed on 9 January 1918:

Lt. Donald Leslie Langford Craig, R.F.A.
For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty when under heavy and continuous shell fire for five hours with his battery. During the shelling a dump of charges caught fire, and he, with others, succeeded in removing a large pile of neighbouring shell which was all the time in imminent danger of an explosion. His prompt action and gallantry saved a large amount of ammunition and material, and probably many lives.

The MC was annotated as being for the 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] Battle of Ypres

He was reported missing on 31 July 1917 at Pilkrem in a trench where he was acting as a forward observation officer for the brigade, later he was declared killed in action.

This was the 1[SUP]st[/SUP] day of 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] Battle of Ypres at the age of 20. He is commemorated on the Ypres (Menin Gate) Memorial, panel 5 and 9.

If anyone ever finds a photo of him I would be delighted to see it.

Thats great info thank you Andy what a brave man he was. If there is a photo lets hope someone can locate one.

Hi Andy,
I have a school photo of DLL Craig if you're interested...

Alison

Hello Alison

yes please! Wonderful news.

actually I am also looking for photos of 2 of his classmates, Fitch and Bereaford if you also have photos of them, then you've brought me Christmas in November.

cheers

andy

Andy,
I know you have disguised your email address but it is still best to remove it and sent it to Alison on a private message - edit your post and remove it and then click on her name aw1552 and a drop down menu will appear - select instant message.

Last edited:
Andy,
I know you have disguised your email address but it is still best to remove it and sent it to Alison on a private message - edit your post and remove it and then click on her name aw1552 and a drop down menu will appear - select instant message.

Thanks for the advice, this is now done.

cheers

andy

Back