• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Memories of a Birmingham Musician (Drummer)!

Eddie,

I emailed Lewis and asked him if his father was still alive, explaining who I was, but never got a reply. It was the email address off his website, the only one I could find. I did a summer season in Poole with Lennie, and also we did a week at the Rainbow on the Hagley Road, Brum. We were all due to tour Switzerland together, but the Swiss agent had a heart attack a couple of weeks before we were due to depart and it all got cancelled. Way back in the 1960s since I saw Lennie and his first wife, Millie.

I've got a heavy day tomorrow, but I'll try and put some pictures up as soon as I can.

Maurice

Here's a couple from 1962, the venue being Poole Harbour Yacht Club

From left to right - Lennie Wright (drums) and occasionally shared vibes with me, Me (piano & vibes), Paul Stoloff (double bass), and Don Fay (alto & baritone saxes, clarinet & flute). Paul's uncle (also a bass player) was the late Rube Stoloff who was killed with Snakehips Johnson in the World War2 bomb on the Cafe De Paris in London. Paul now lives in Rochdale and we last met up in Brum about 6 years ago during the Jazz Festival. Don Fay spent quite a bit of time in Australia. Way back in 1962 his father, Sid Fay, jointly owned a music shop in Old Christchurch Road, Bournemouth, with sax player Bill Mader. Sadly both these guys have also passed away.....

PHYC Summer 1962.jpg

And probably on the same day, here we are on the stand......

LWQ1.jpg

Maurice

Last edited:
Maurice, I knew Sid Fay, and also Eddie Moore's, both had music shops.

Also knew Sydney Webb & Richard Webb. Met all of them regularly at music trade shows. Somewhere, I have photos taken with Richard Webb.

Nice photos, just trying to work out how Len stopped his drums from falling off the stage!!

Are those Ajax vibes that you are playing?

Eddie

Eddie:

Yes, of course, you would as the Premier rep. Eddie Moors also long gone but Richard Webb is still about. My own bass player, Roger Shore, was Minns' organ engineer during the day and I still keep in touch with him on an almost daily basis. He bumped into Richard last summer during the air display on Bournemouth sea front, but said his health wasn't too good.

They were indeed Ajax vibes which I bought from Cecil Viles about two or three years before I left Brum in 1961. I part-exed them through Sid for serial number 15 of Charlie Watkins' single manual organ, I think, in 1964. Certainly I used the Watkins organ on the West of England Home Service recording I referred to on the previous page. At Minns you might also have encountered the paino salesman, Michael Brent, who was also the organist at the Punshon Memorial Methodist Church, which sadly is just about to be demolished. All my kids were christened there. Michael is still about but no longer playing due to hand problems. Of the drummers that worked at Minns, you might remember Richard Pearce?

Finally, one more picture of my own trio in 1973 at Cotford Hall Hotel (now also demolished) with Roger Shore on bass guitar and Jeff Griffin on Premier drums! I had a bit more hair then! And note the flared trousers.....

Cotford1973.jpg

Maurice

Eddie and Maurice - I was a drummer in rock bands based in London in the 1970s and a student at Aston University in the early 1980s. I have only recently discovered this thread and love reading your fascinating and entertaining reminiscences. The jazz drummer Phil Seamen has been mentioned once or twice. Ginger Baker was my hero, and Phil was his early mentor; you'll know that as a teenager in the 1950s Ginger began his long career by playing in jazz bands at small clubs in Soho. Phil remains one of the very few musicians of whom Ginger speaks with respect and affection.

Two years ago at the Curzon cinema in Shaftesbury Avenue I attended the premiere of the documentary film 'Beware of Mr Baker', which was followed by a question-and-answer session with the man himself. Unfortunately, Ginger was antagonistic towards the interviewer and almost completely uncommunicative with the audience. It was patently obvious that he simply didn't want to be there, and at the earliest opportunity he cut the session short and walked out of the auditorium. I quickly followed, and found him standing outside on the street, smoking a cigarette.

I approached him warily and said: "Excuse me, Mr Baker - Would you kindly sign my copy of your autobiography?" Quick as a flash, he said "No", turned his back and walked off down the street. Ginger was my hero!

Viewfinder,

We're glad you're enjoying our memories, although I haven't lived in Birmingham since January 1961, though more recently I've visited a few of the Birmingham International Jazz Festivals. From what little I know of Ginger Baker, he was antagonistic with pretty well everyone, and deliberately so. However Phil Seamen was a much more friendly character, just a victim of his own drug addiction.

Maurice

As I have stated previously, I had quite a few lessons from Phil Seaman. He was a great friend, and a wonderful teacher. A lot of the rhythms that Ginger Baker plays are from Africa, hence his interest in all things African. Phil taught both Ginger and myself those wonderful rhythms, mainly in 12/8 tempo, and they are perfect rhythms for both jazz and rock drummers to learn. Phil felt very strongly about knowing those rhythms, after all, every modern rhythm we play, one way or another, comes from Africa, via, the USA. I also spent time in Africa listening to, and playing African rhythms. It is something every drummer worth his salt should do.

Phil was a registered addict, and I was very much aware of his drug addiction. It never interfered with our friendship. He did attempt to get me to 'partake', but I was not interested.

In the early 1970 I managed to get Phil to undertake a drum tour for Hayman drums. It started off fine, but by the time we had arrived in Plymouth, it was a complete disaster. That is another story, and a personal one. In late 1972, I was leaving Hayman, and decided that I would arrange a final drum clinic, in London, for Drum City, and I wanted Phil to play. He agreed, and somewhere behind Shaftsbury Avenue, we had a room full of the London elite of drummers. Phil was wonderful. He played great, full of jokes, and 'put downs', for which he was famous. Everyone had a great evening.

Two weeks later, Phil was dead.

Not many people know the following story, which is true.

In his very early days, Phil played in a local band in his home town of Burton on Trent. One evening they were booked to play opposite the great Tommy Sampson Band, from London. The drummer in Tommy's band was a guy named Danny Craig. Not a bad drummer.

At the end of the evening Tommy was so impressed with Phil, he asked the local bandleader if he could take Phil to London with his band, that night.

The local bandleader looked very perplexed, and said that it would be difficult to replace Phil. "No problem" said Tommy, "I will leave you Danny Craig!" That was it. Phil left for London that night, and the rest, as they say, is history.

There are hundreds of Phil Seaman stories, but he could be very serious, and knowledgeable. One Saturday we sat together and watched a rugby match on TV featuring Wales. Phil knew the name of every Welsh player!

Many thanks for your interest, Viewfinder. I endorse the words of Maurice, and thank you for your interest., and enjoyment.

Eddie

I love reading all these stories, trouble is, it takes me an hour or more to read each post. Why? well take the story about Phil Seaman for example, I have never heard of him, did'nt have a clue who he was, like others I have'nt heard of, so when I read a post I look on Wikipedia to see if they are there, which they usually are, then I look on youtube to see if they are there, usually they are. So, its the first time I have seen Phil Seaman in action and now I know a bit more about him. Thank you all for enriching my musical knowledge, which was pretty limited in the first place. Keep up the good work.

Terry

I also could tell some tales of GINGER BAKER Who would have ever thought that he would be living in PARKER COLORADO USA? Well he did untill he was deported. BUT he was an avid horse fan, plenty of those around here. Also he did organise many JAZZ concerts in Parker I did get to meet him a few times, but very vauge person, hard to talk to, I told I had been a musician and he looked at me like I was crazy. Ron Miles a local trumpet player was at most of the concerts and I could tell that he and Ginger did NOT get along. I think Gingers son still lives around here, he also is a drummer but I have never seen him playing. John Crump Parker, Colorado USA ps This also is in the movie and on the net.

John,

That must be one of the tales of the year this year! How the devil did Ginger Baker manage to find his way to Parker? Eddie certainly started something when he kicked off this thread!

Maurice

Maurice,

I have no idea how Ginger Baker came to live in Parker, but John, an alto sax player........... It has to be the place for him!

Eddie

I think his love of (H)orses. He had a ranch that I think his son owns now. Parker, Colorado is horse country. Every other vehicle out here is a pick up truck with double wheels on the back. The move does mention him living in Colorado. John Crump

John,

According to Kofi Baker's website, he's now living in Hobart, IN, quite a way from you now. Another site said he was living in Orange, Colorado, but I couldn't find a place with that name.

Maurice

Hayman Endorser Poster 001.jpgThis is a leaflet given out by the Hayman Drum Company, which includes Jon Hiseman (Colosseum); Graham Burbage (Chris Barber Band); Ron Bowden (Kenny Ball Band); Brian Bennett (The Shadows); John Marshall (Nucleus); Trevor Morais (The Peddlers).

Bottom left hand corner is 'Yours Truly'. I was delighted to be associated with so many famous drummer names.

Sorry that the photo is not upright. It appears on my computer the correct way around, but prints on its side. I think I think I played drums better than handling a computer! Perhaps some one out there can correct the angle. If so, many thanks.

Eddie

Eddie,

You need someone with admin permissions to rotate the picture. I well remember Jon Hiseman as he was a guest with his wife, Barbara Thompson, at the Parkstone Jazz Club several times during the 1970s. Barbara will be remembered for the music to "A Touch of Frost" if nothing else amongst the non-jazz people!

Maurice

Among the talented players endorsing Hayman drums (including Eddie; see above) is the wonderfully named Florian Pilkington Miksa - who, aptly, was schooled at Eton. Florian gained success with Curved Air in the 1970s; he and vocalist Sonja Kristina are founder members who remain in the band today, still recording and touring. I enjoyed their splendid set at the intimate Beaverwood Club in Chislehurst, south-east London, a couple of years ago.

Miss World 001.jpgWith Miss World sitting at my drum kit. Locarno Ballroom 1973. The photographer wanted a shot of just Miss World and myself, but you can't keep good musicians down!!

I am actually pointing to the drum stick. I wanted the photographer to show the name on the drum stick that I was endorsing, hoping it might show, but it never worked.

Eddie

Eddie:

You had no chance there as the name is so small and especially with the definition of a newspaper photograph. Your hair is even longer than mine was in 1973 !

Maurice

The Len Goodman Big Band Bonanza was on BBC4 the other day (first shown way back in December 2014).

Covers the Swing Band era of 40s and 50s with a fair bit on the Ted Heath band, and others of course.

Lovely segment near the end of a lot of older big band members (ex Ted Heath etc) meeting up in a village hall for a private big band "blow out" with no audience. I found that a little sad, but the sound they made was great.

It is on the iPlayer here

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b04w7zlm/len-goodmans-big-band-bonanza

Lots of facinating stories on here, a lot of them about drums so here is my "drums" story.

I am not a musician, and never have been, but I have always been a fan of all sorts of music. I must admit though I do tend to focus on drummers when I see a live band.

Many years ago I was a fan of Cream (Ginger Baker was mentioned on here earlier) and when they split up I tried to go and see the individual members whenever they appeared.

Jack Bruce teamed up with jazz drummer Tony Williams (ex Miles Davis) for a while in Tony Williams Lifetime.

They did a show in a London theatre in the very late 1960s or early 1970s, on a Sunday evening I think.

The support band was Atomic Rooster and they set up first. I think the drummer was Carl Palmer and he had a typical rock drummers kit of about 10 of everything that half filled the stage.

Once they had finished (after deafening everyone) they set up for Tony Williams band.

When they set up Tony Williams drum kit it was the smallest drum kit I had ever seen (I was more used to drum kits for rock bands) and I remember thinking "what the hell is he going to be able to do with that" ".

But his performance was STUNNING, I could not take my eyes off him. He did things on that kit that I had never seen a drummer do before and I don't think I have seen since that day.

Sadly he died aged only 51 of a heart attack after minor surgery.

I think one of my favourite current modern jazz drummers is Adam Nussbaum. His touch is so light, but what a technique, and I suppose the closest British drummer in terms of touch is Paul Brodie (ex-BBC Big Band for 16 years and one of my friends and neighbours for much longer). In contrast, perhaps the loudest current modern jazz drummer is Jack De Johnette, also a great technique and a very nice guy. And both Nussbaum and De Johnette have both done spells with Brazilian pianist Eliane Elias, another of my favourites. Neither of these drummers have huge kits, but their ideas and techniques much more than the guys with the big kits.

Maurice

Tony Williams was a very warm person. We would meet up in Chicago or Atlanta, during music shows. Tony was an endorser for Gretsch drums, and he only ever played a small regular jazz drum kit.

He was also Fred Grestchs', the owner of the drum company, favourite drummer. The Gretsch drum stand was always the meeting place for the great drummers, no matter what drum kit they played, or endorsed. That alone says how much Tony was respected.

Atomic Rooster was an 'off shoot' of The Crazy World of Arthur Brown. Vincent Crane & Birmingham's own Carl Palmer formed the band, and Carl left to join Keith Emerson & Gregg Lake, when they formed Emerson, Lake & Palmer (ELP). I still see Carl when we meet up each September at the National Drum Show.

Eddie

The Len Goodman Big Band Bonanza was on BBC4 the other day (first shown way back in December 2014).

Covers the Swing Band era of 40s and 50s with a fair bit on the Ted Heath band, and others of course.

The 'village hall band' to which you refer, is run by Ronnie Hughes. Ronnie was a trumpet player in the Ted Heath Band, and was married to the band singer, Lita Roza. The 'village band' consists of many former well known big band musicians, and they get a great sound. A lot of experience in there. I think that Tommy Whittle (tenor sax) plays in the band, and his wife (cannot recall her name....help me Maurice), sometimes sings with the band.

The Len Goodman TV show features Ray McKinley, Glenn Millers drummer, playing a kit whilst travelling on the back of a lorry. The Squadronaire's are shown. The Who's Pete Townsend's dad, Cliff Townsend, he of the 'singing saxophone, played in the band. Think I have mentioned this previously.

Shots also of Ivy Benson, Ted Heath (taken from a film of the time), the great American bands and musicians. I was fortunate to hear them all, see most of them, and get to know many of them.

A wonderful era of great songs, great musicians, and great memories.

Eddie

Eddie:

Tommy's wife was Barbara Jay, and poor old Tommy died a couple of years ago. I remember he played with us at the Parkstone Jazz Club in the mid-1970s as did pretty well most of the British names in modern jazz that were working around that time. Most used our house band - drummers were first Ray Ball and then Johnny Gibson with occasional deps including Paul Brodie, if he happened to be home. Ray Ball passed away just over a year ago, but Johnny Gibson was living in Northfield last time I saw him and for a time played with Mike Burney (tenor) a few years ago.

But it's lovely to remember all these names, Eddie, and so sad that many of them are now playing in the great jazz bands in the sky. But it was such an inspiration to play when we had a guest added to our front line, such as Don Rendell (tenor), Kenny Baker (trumpet), Peter King (alto), Harold McNair (flute) and Terry Smith (guitar). It always made you play so much better, though sometimes it was also very much of a challenge as well.

Maurice

Thanks for that Maurice. Of course, Barbara Jay. I did not know that Tommy Whittle was dead. Such a nice player, and a real gentleman.

I last saw Johnny Gibson a few years ago. He was always pestering me to buy my cymbals, which he thought were marvellous. When left the Midland All Stars, in 1978, I gave them to him!!

Mike Burney played with one of the bands that I was in at the Locarno. He also played with the All Stars. A character, with some funny stories. Worked a lot with Roy Wood, who also loved the Midland All Stars..

Eddie

I took over the piano chair at the Parkstone from Dave Price, having depped for him umpteen times, when he moved to Hereford. He's still playing with a lady bass player and I'm not sure of the drummer at some local pubs, and plays at Brecon & Upton Jazz Festivals sometimes.

Mike Burney's health hasn't been too good lately, but last year he married his long term girl friend and I think they're living in the Sutton Coldfield area. As well as being in Roy Wood's Wizzard, he was with the Syd Lawrence Band for about eight years. But well past my bedtime!

Maurice

During my travels around Europe, promoting, lecturing and undertaking drum clinics, I would try, as often as possible, to take my own drums, and travel by car.

The only place that I always encountered problems was the Swiss border. Every time I arrived there, the Swiss border police would see a drum kit and think ... 'drums = drugs and booze'.... In my case, wrong on both counts. Each time I would have to wait around twenty minutes while they searched the car, and it really annoyed me.

I would have to step out of the car, and they would search it, find nothing, and let me carry on. This happened about three times over the years.

In 1976 I was travelling down to Italy to take part in drum shows, complete with kit. I had my wife with me, and knowing that I had to travel via Switzerland, and also aware of the Swiss border police and their zealous approach, I decided to try something different.

First of all ......let me first explain what a 'practice pad' is.

We drummers use what is known as a Practice Pad. This is small round moulding of specially made rubber, that drummers use to practice on, and, when played with drum sticks it gives the sticks a nice rebound feel, that a drummer would get from the actual drum. Also it is silent, and easy to carry around. I would always warm up on the pad for around 15 minutes before a show, to loosen up my wrists and fingers.

Knowing that the Swiss border police would have no idea of what it was, I placed the practice pad right on top of everything else, in full view. It all went beautifully. Arriving at the Swiss border, in the German speaking canton, they seized upon it immediately.

My German is not good, and they were not going to speak in English, so the conversation went something like the following:

"Wass ist dass?" ---"Bitter?"...."Wass is dass?" ...."Oh, einer 'practice pad'..."Wass?....."Einer practice pad fur Trummel (drums)"

Blank looks from the police. I then got out a pair of drum sticks and started playing the practice pad, with both rhythms and drum rudiments. These two guys looked amazed, and called over their colleagues...."Karl, Ernst" (or whatever), "Kommen zei hier....es ist wonderbach!" I then had to play the pad again. By this time, the border control was full of people, watching me play.

The police clapped, shook my hands, and waved me on. No car search!!!..My wife, who had been sitting in the car the whole time, was unsure whether we would be spending the night in some Swiss police cell!!

Eddie

Attachments

• Swiss Mountains 1976 001.jpg
    Swiss Mountains 1976 001.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 13
  • Swiss Mountains 1976 002.jpg
    Swiss Mountains 1976 002.jpg
    221.3 KB · Views: 13
Nice story Eddie, According to Jeremy Clarkson Switzerland is the most boring place on the planet. At least you put a little joy in the hearts of the Swiss guards. They probably went home & told their family, "Mein Gott, we see a crazy Englishman today making zehr gut music with his sticks"

Thanks Smudger,

Do you know that a Swiss man joins the army at 18, and is on call for almost the rest of his life. He keeps his uniform, his rifle, everything. God knows who the Swiss are going to fight, or even, who wants to fight them. It is the most boring country, and not very democratic.

In Switzerland, if you are seen crossing the road, against the lights, your neighbour can report you.

Switzerland is only 'neutral' for as long, and when it suits them. Clocks and money is their game. I don't even like their chocolate.

Not a patch on Cadbury's!

Thanks Smudger,

Do you know that a Swiss man joins the army at 18, and is on call for almost the rest of his life. He keeps his uniform, his rifle, everything. God knows who the Swiss are going to fight, or even, who wants to fight them. It is the most boring country, and not very democratic.

Just a slight correction Eddie. They don`t join the army , they are conscripted ( something i`d like to see happen here) and as for keeping their uniform, after a few years noshing on Toblerone I doubt it would fit them. Yes i`m a cadbury fan too. I don`t know why folk rave on about Belgian chocolate, give me Cadburys any day.

In Switzerland, if you are seen crossing the road, against the lights, your neighbour can report you.

Hmmmm, i wonder what regime that reminds me of.

Switzerland is only 'neutral' for as long, and when it suits them. Clocks and money is their game. I don't even like their chocolate.

Not a patch on Cadbury's!

They are good at making & hiding other peoples money, & as for their clock makers, they`re all cuckoo anyway. And as for their cheese, it`s time they started filling in the holes! Oh dear, i do hope we`re not being racist are we?

Back