• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Memories of a Birmingham Musician (Drummer)!

A drum full of water wouldn't sound very good either! Nice story and good pictures, Eddie.

Maurice

A drum full of water wouldn't sound very good either! Nice story and good pictures, Eddie.

Maurice

I dread to think of what might have happened!

However, it is rumoured that Keith Moon, the drummer with The Who, did do just that on a TV show in the U.S.A. Knowing Keith Moon as I did, nothing ever surprised me with him.

Eddie

I really liked John Hiseman's Coloseum - saw them two or three times in the 70's and I still have one of their albums.
I had heard about Barbara Thompson - very sad - my father had Parkinsons so I know what it's like.

With the Remembrance events still fresh in our mind, last evening, a fellow musician friend, and I were discussing the days when we had to play the National Anthem at the end of the evening dance.

As a drummer, I would always have to play the long, sustained drum roll that begins the National Anthem.

One evening, many years ago, whilst working with a big band, we had a rock group playing opposite to us, and they were the big event for the evening, which also meant that they closed the show.

The organizers told them that they had to play the National Anthem at the end of the evening. They did not know it, so the organizers asked our band to go on stage and play it.
On principal, we refused, so the rock group had to SING the National Anthem. Of course, there was no long sustained drum roll to start the proceeding. True story.

I wonder how many of those early group drummers could play a long sustained drum roll. Indeed, how many could play the National Anthem?

In my younger days, learning to play a long drum roll was a must, because, as a drummer, I knew that I would be called upon, at the end of the dance, or show, to play the roll for the National Anthem.

Eddie

Eddie,

Good story, especially when this music thread has been so quiet lately and I've just had two days in bed with some painful bug. However, someone did send me a photo of our Trio, with a girl singer with whom we used to work sometimes, taken in 1972. I sent it to another bass player, who we all know and he replied "It really does bring back memories of those lovely days in Bournemouth when musicians were working most nights and playing music with more than 2 chords! How things have changed !". I entirely agree.

Maurice

Today I have had to pay tribute to two lovely friends, with whom I shared my professional life.

Robert Paiste, from the Paiste Cymbal Company, and John Taylor, a top London drummer, and drum teacher.

Hardly anyone left from my era, that I worked with.

Eddie

Eddie,

For those of us who survive this long, it's an occupational hazard! I remember that my mother used to say the same. Over the last couple of days, I've been trying to track down a few RAF mates - one success and two dead so far. Not good.

Amongst musicians of all types the Paiste name is so well known and Robert gets a tribute on their website here:-

https://www.paiste.com/robertpaiste/

Maurice

Even in my old age, or more likely, because of my old age, I was never a modern computer enthusiast.
I say modern, because I was using computers in 1952! Albeit that they were huge monstrosities that took up a whole room.

In my old age, I had, more or less, given up my career in the music business, and retired gracefully into the North Norfolk countryside, to enjoy the evening of my life with my wife, our children and their families, around us.

Since purchasing a 'modern' computer, some three years ago, my life has again been transformed.

During the past couple of years, old friends, former pupils, fellow musicians, have become aware that not only am I still alive and well, but many of them have been contacting me.

Fellow musicians, mainly drummers, some of whom who have been/are, household names, talk to me about the 'good old days'. A large number of former pupils have been in touch, with very kind words of appreciation of how I transformed their lives, through my drum teaching, into positive, confident people.

Some of my former pupils, and others that I have helped along the way, no longer play, others have gone on to better things in the world of drumming, working with people like Van Morrison, Val Doonican, Max Boyce, Lonnie Donegan, groups like Kenney, Paper Lace, drumming at the Ronnie Scott Club, world cruises in the ships band, and one is even now a teacher at the Guidhall School of Music. They have all been writing to me to say how much I have helped them over the years.

Some pupils have gone on to better things in the world of commerce, but say that they have never forgotten my teaching, and wise words.

I have always taken my work seriously, with a conscience of doing a job professionally, and to the best of my ability, whether it was playing the drums, talking to, and helping fellow drummers, or teaching, in my stride and never with any thought of receiving praise.

Not only is it amazing that I am still remembered, in over sixty years of work, it is so heart warming, humbling, and appreciated that all those years were not in vain.

Makes an old man very happy and content that I have done my life's work, with positive results.

Eddie

Eddie,

Just based on the plethora of tales you've told on this Forum, I'm sure you've kept many members amused and interested. Although I spent half my working life in computing, you still beat me to the first use of one, mine being in the late 1950s at Lucas Great King Street. Whilst we've never played together, we've played with a few of the same musicians and certainly knew many of the same ones, both British & foreign. And, of course, I've very much enjoyed knowing you, even if it has only been via a computer, both on the Forum and via email! Long may it continue.....

Maurice

Eddie,

Just based on the plethora of tales you've told on this Forum, I'm sure you've kept many members amused and interested. Although I spent half my working life in computing, you still beat me to the first use of one, mine being in the late 1950s at Lucas Great King Street. Whilst we've never played together, we've played with a few of the same musicians and certainly knew many of the same ones, both British & foreign. And, of course, I've very much enjoyed knowing you, even if it has only been via a computer, both on the Forum and via email! Long may it continue.....

Maurice

Thank you Maurice,

Yes, correctly used, and not abused, computer communication is wonderful.

To share some our musical experiences, and knowledge has been exciting, with hopefully more to come.

The BHF website has been extremely useful because I have tracked down old friends that I knew at school, fellow musician John Crump, in the U.S.A, shared views with yourself, and other sometimes funny, sometimes serious, always interesting postings, from those who I have never met, although I do now regards many as 'friends'.

It has been, and still is, a delight.

Eddie

This may be of passing interest to drummers, but prior to retirement I was Sales Manager for a technical-textile company. One of our 'sidelines' in years gone by was manufacturing bass-drum beaters from hard wool felt, and also cymbal washers from a softer felt. Over the years we built up quite a good bit of business with these products, one of our main customers being Premier Drums Ltd in Leicester. I visited them on several occasions: they were good people, paid their bills on time, and always took me round the factory. In those days they made virtually everything for a drum kit, even had their own die-casting foundry; about the only thing they didn't make, as far as I can remember, were cymbals. One day one of the guys suggested giving me a lesson - I play guitar but had never played drums in my life - and he seated me behind a kit in the showroom, which was actually a high glazed tower at the front of the building. I hadn't got a clue! Unfortunately they transferred production to China, I believe, and many good people who lost their jobs. Whether they still have a presence in Leicester, I don't know. My step-son is a drummer in a rock band, and he still plays an old Premier (Leicester built) kit.

Interesting to see Jon Hiseman mentioned. Apart from Coliseum I saw him with the Graham Bond Organisation (he replaced Ginger Baker) and with John Mayall's Bluesbreakers. Many, many years ago now.....

G

Big Gee: From 1973-78, I worked for the Premier Drum Company as Manager, in Promotions, Drum Clinics, Export Sales.

It would be interesting to know who your contacts were, possibly Phil Middleton, or Pat Clarkson, via Raymond Della Porta..

Of course, I can offer you the full history of the Premier Drum Company from day one until its final demise. However this would not be relevant.

Eddie

Last edited:
I visited Premier from about 1990 until some time before the end of production in Leicester. The only one of your names which rings a faint bell is Phil Middleton. Was he a buyer? Sorry to be vague, but I had nearly 500 customers to visit both here and in Europe and nowadays can remember only a handful of names. I sometimes have trouble remembering my own.....

G

Big Bee: 1990 was way after my departure in 1978, to join an American percussion company
The demise of Premier began in 1980 when the Company went bankrupt.

In spite of many take overs, the Company has all but disappeared, with a small company now owning the brand name, with a small unit in Leicestershire. However, the glory days have long gone.

The Blaby Road building, which Premier purpose built in the 1970's, and we began occupation upon its completion in 1975 is still standing, and has recently been taken over by supermarket giant, Lidl.

A modern trend to the sad end of a wonderful British drum company. Much the same story as many other great British names in manufacturing.

Eddie.
P.S. It would be nice if you were able to let me have the name of the company that made, and supplied the bass drum, and tympani beaters to Premier. I would love to add the company into the history of the Premier Drum Company.

Big Bee??

When you were at Premier my old company traded as E V Naish Ltd. After a merger with another textile manufacturer the name was changed to Naish Felts Ltd., based in Wilton near Salisbury. Beater heads, etc., were dropped when the company decided to concentrate on the automotive industry. At one time, way back, Naish also made piano felt which in a reversal of modern trends was sold TO China!

G;)

Today I made a big decision.

At 83 I have decided to learn the piano.

I have the background knowledge, I know notation, I can read notes on the ledger lines.
I think that scales, and finger technique, are the most important things to learn at the moment.
I will talk to both our daughters, both grade 8 piano, and professional musicians, so I will be in their hands, so to speak. Maybe a few free lessons!

Any advice Maurice, or anyone?

Eddie.

Eddie,

You've got a good start plus the knowledge that learning any instrument needs determination. Providing that you don't have two problems from which I now suffer - Dupuytrens Syndrome and arthritis - the former being the worst because that prevents you straightening your fingers, and the latter, of course, can give you quite a bit of pain. D.S. also prevents you stretching you hands to play an octave, for instance, and I have it in both hands now.

I know that both your daughters are very able musicians and have experience of up to date teaching methods, so you are in extremely good hands, pardon the pun! All I can say, Eddie, is E N J O Y, as I know you will.

Maurice

Fortunately Maurice, my hands are still very flexible, and I have long fingers. I took that into consideration when I made the decision.

My main problem will be my eyes, and reading the music, but with a good strong light I think I should overcome that obstacle.

Thanks for your encouragement........I may need it!

Eddie

Eddie Did Beryl get tired of all the noise? Good luck with the piano, also thanks for the kind words in your prev posts, been out of town

I noticed the long fingers on one of your photographs, Eddie, and you will certainly have no problem stretching a ninth, e.g. C to the D an octave above and may be able, with practice to reach the D#, but unless you're planning to do some of the Romantic Era composers such as Rachmaninoff, you will have no need of that.

I'd aim for Bach, and the standards of Gershwin, Cole Porter, and that sort of stuff, and once you can move around the keyboard, think about developing your own style. I'll tell you a story....

My ex-bass guitar player learned some violin at school and then moved to bass guitar in his teens - he was quite a good player by the time he joined me, but previous to that he was Minns organ engineer and it was only then that he really started to learn a bit of keyboard, though even now he doesn't maintain that he's a reader. When Minns folded he went back to electronic engineering. When he finally retired he got to spend more time on a Yamaha MOX6 with it's variety of sounds and has now linked that to his older Yamaha via MIDI. He sent me this link yesterday and apart from the rather wooden phrasing and one dubious chord I thought was rather good for self taught.

Maurice

View attachment 96055View attachment 96055View attachment 96055Maurice. Try these!!!
Club 57 Digbeth, circa 1957. JOHN BECK SIX; Alan Tomblin (tpt); Harry Burrows (tnr); 'Robby' Robinson(bass). Self on drums,
Willtry to sort out the Bournebrook Hotel photo. Thanks for the info. Eddie
Spent a number of nights down there. There used to be a sax player did a marvellous 'All the things you are'. Town Hall for big bands, Club 57 for jazz, then Humph in the Black Country on a Sunday night anyone remember where the Sunday night sessions were. The watch committe would not allow 'Does Jesus care Blues' so Humph announced 'DJC Blues'. Later on Sunday night at the 'crib' in Kingstanding not so much for the dancing as. The band sound, just replaced a lot of my old Vinyls they had to go when we downsized with Avid records compilations, three gor for Lps to one Cd, good value. Did anyone ever come across a drummer from Erdington Norman Watkinson or Wilkinson worked at Dunlop

Bob

Bob,

There was a Sunday session at the Golden Cross, Aston Cross in the late 50s - quite often the Jazz Couriers with Ronnie Scott and Tubby Hayes. Alternatively there was Andy Hamilton & the Blue Notes, but their venue used to vary a bit.

Maurice

I have noticed that these days most performers seem to wear an ear piece in one or both ears. Whats the purpose of them and what exactly do they hear through them, if anything. I watched Robbie Williams the other night and he was wearing ear pieces with his initials on them. Obviously then, they are specially made to fit.

Ear pieces enable the performer to 'feel' the music more clearly. If you listen to a performance without headphones, and then fit headphones to again listen to the same performane, you would really notice the difference, and would pick up the sound of every instrument with more clarity, and there would be no echo. I often wore headphones when in the studio.

Everyone has a different ear shape, and obviously Robbie Williams ear mikes are moulded to his ear shape. He can afford it!!

I thought that you may also like to know that Robbie's drummer is Karl Brazil, a wonderful young drummer that hails from 'Brum' .

I met Karl a couple of years ago, when he came up to me, and introduced himself. A nice modest young man.

Eddie

Bob,

There was a Sunday session at the Golden Cross, Aston Cross in the late 50s - quite often the Jazz Couriers with Ronnie Scott and Tubby Hayes. Alternatively there was Andy Hamilton & the Blue Notes, but their venue used to vary a bit.

Maurice

Maurice,

before I left 'Brum', in the fifties, I often worked at the Golden Cross, in Aston, with the Johnny Beck Six. In fact, the jazz club there was opened by a guy who was also our band manager (I have forgotten his name), and we were the resident Saturday night band, always backing the guest star for the evening.

The club was always packed with dancers 'jiving' the night away.

I first met Andy Hamilton in the early 50's, and he was a Saturday regular at Kay Westworths music store, when I worked there. He would come into the shop around lunchtime, checking through the tenor sax reeds, and stay for two or three hours. We became good friends over time, but I lost track of him when I left Birmingham.

Eddie

Ear pieces enable the performer to 'feel' the music more clearly. If you listen to a performance without headphones, and then fit headphones to again listen to the same performane, you would really notice the difference, and would pick up the sound of every instrument with more clarity, and there would be no echo. I often wore headphones when in the studio.

Thanks for the explanation Eddie, I learn something everyday. No I didn't know that Robbies drummer came from B'ham, something else I've learnt. Cheers.

Sad news today of the passing of Greg Lake, he of Emerson, Lake & Palmer fame (E.L.P).

With the passing earlier of Keith Emmerson, it leaves just Birmingham's own Carl Palmer as the one remaining member.

Eddie

Eddie,

Sat in with Johnny Beck (Smith) a few times at the Chapel Tavern in the late 1950s and met up with his former girlfriend in a bar in Bournemouth some years later. Completely lost track of him, but I think you said he moved to the States? Andy Hamilton was a lovely guy as was Ron, his original pianist. Lost track of him too, but my contacts tell me he lived in Ladywood until his death a couple of years or so ago.

Maurice

Maurice: Just watched the video of your friend (The Christmas Song), nearly missed it. Nice Leslie sound at the end.

Very inspiring, and if I reach that stage, I will be more than happy. I think a piano is a little more difficult than an organ. No chance to hang onto notes, good or bad!

However, after just over a week of hard practice, things are improving. A scale can now be achieved, with the correct fingering, and the correct notes! Also just played my first couple of simple tunes reading both the treble, and bass clef notes, at the same time......not easy, but getting there.

If you know of a good drummer to accompany me, please let me know.......well, I can dream!

Eddie

Back