• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Masters Alice born 1862 Birmingham.

val

knowlegable brummie
Alice Masters was born abt 1862 in Birmingham. She married Thomas Broomhall from Staffordshire, b 1839. On marriage they lived in Moland street Aston. Their children, John William b 1892, Mark b 1897, May Ann b 1882, Harriet b 1890. Alice is the blockage in my tree! On her wedding certificate 1888, her father is named as John Masters labourer, deceased, on her 2nd wedding to Thomas Dyoss, her father is named as John William Masters. I have paid for a search at the GRO for an Alice with a father called John 1860-1864, but no joy! So if Alice seems familiar to you, please let me know. I am well and truly stuck with this woman!

Re: Alice Masters born 1862 Birmingham.

val

have you checked the birth of alice masters in oct-dec bham 1862 6d 106

chris

Hi Chris, thats the very first certificate I ordered, because to me it just seemed spot on! but the fathers name is henry on that one. Of course now I have learnt a bit more, I order a certificate and tell the register office the parents names!

Hi Val, the only Alice Master's I could find on Ancestry both on the census 1871 and births was one born in Honiley, W'Wicks - don't know where that is - her was Thomas in 1861 - by 1871 Martha Masters is the head of the family. Don't know if this is yours.
Sheri

i was looking at martha as well as born in honiley warwickshire and she was a widow but i cannot find a marriage of a john masters to a martha....so not sure.

definitely ruled that one out now as marthas husband was a james!!

Last edited:

Hi Chris, yes I thought it was here for a while too, researched that family, and its not her either! This woman is driving me mad :redface:

have you looked at 1871 census harriet masters widow 45 born bedford (should read bidford) worcs.

son william henry masters 20 born alcester warwickshire

and daughter alice masters 10 born redditch worcs

all living alcester warwickshire.

there is a birth that corresponds...alice masters 1861 jan-mar bromsgrove 6c 427

i know it doesnt fully fit the bill but as bham have been unable to find her maybe you should try others around the area. again you could ask it father is john. best of luck!! chris

Hi Chris, I dismissed that one before, so just built a quick tree of that family, and Alice was married to someone else by 1891,not a Broomhall ( I have her in 1891 no problem) oh dear, its like I will never find her :redface:

sorry val i wish i could help more but ive tried all the avenues i can think of :(

sometimes ancestors used different names so maybe this is the case. i just hope someone else will have a look at this for you :cry:

chris

Thanks for looking Chris. Something unusual I bet! her mother wasnt married to her father, her mother made up a name ! something odd :redface:

Hi Chris and shera, thought I would let you know I think I have found her! I am 99% sure on this. It seems her mother wasn't married when she gave birth, so it looks like her name is actually Alie A Farmer. Born in Birmingham workhouse, All Saints. Now I just have to discover how I find her birth certificate, and any records that may be held on her, and any info on the workhouse I can find!

On the 1871 census, Birmingham Workhouse Alice Ann Farmer aged 11, shown as inmate.

On the 1871 census, Birmingham Workhouse Alice Ann Farmer aged 11, shown as inmate.

Yes we found that thanks, poor Alice! and her mother was living nearby too! would love to know what went on, why she was left there.

I've also been researching a Masters her name been Ruth, but the same as you i don't think her name was masters as she has on my husbands grandads birth cert. We know that her son was Albert Henry Mytton born Aston Deritend in 1897 but can't find either of his parents we've looked at Ruth Myttons born about the right time but they married other people not the William Mytton on the birth cert of Albert. My hubbies aunty remembers been told that Alberts parents were cousins. At some stage he lived in Clifton Road, Balsall Heath his dad was supposedly a fireman. I'm glad you found your Masters. I think i'm just going to have to wait for 1910 census.:rolleyes:

I've also been researching a Masters her name been Ruth, but the same as you i don't think her name was masters as she has on my husbands grandads birth cert. We know that her son was Albert Henry Mytton born Aston Deritend in 1897 but can't find either of his parents we've looked at Ruth Myttons born about the right time but they married other people not the William Mytton on the birth cert of Albert. My hubbies aunty remembers been told that Alberts parents were cousins. At some stage he lived in Clifton Road, Balsall Heath his dad was supposedly a fireman. I'm glad you found your Masters. I think i'm just going to have to wait for 1910 census.:rolleyes:
Your'e in the same boat as me then! I am 99.9% sure this is my Alice, its taken months of searching, but if it isnt her, I will try again! Have taken a note of your Masters family, if I come across them will let you know.

Thanks but i don't think you will, we've been looking for ages our main problem now is living in Hull and all electoral rolls , absent voters lists etc. that Albert Henry Mytton maybe on with a mention of his address or parents are on floor 6 of Birmingham library. We keep trying to find time to visit there but when we do manage to get back to midlands our time is taken up visiting rellies. Our other hope is to find some army records for Albert theres none on ancestary But we think he joined the Royal Warwicks , Royal Horse Artilley signing up at Stoney Lane. Anyway the search goes on. Anyway good luck with your research.:rolleyes:

Just for those who tried to help me when searching for Alice, thought I would let you all know, I found her! The family I thought she was part of, thinking her mother had put her in a workhouse and had her illegitimately, was her family, BUT there she was on the census all the time, and I didn't spot her, she was in fact born Alexandra Masters. I found her second wedding, and sent for her death certificate, and on it she was named as Alexandra Alice Masters. Just as a matter of interest, when searching for her death certificate online, she was named as Alice Ann on it, and I almost didn't bother buying the certificate, so I say to any other searchers, if in doubt, just buy the certificate and check it yourself ! Alexandra was maybe a bit posh for my family, so she obviously went by the name of Alice. Its taken me probably a year to solve this mystery, and at last I have her! I also feel a bit deflated now the chase is finally over though!

thats great news val, thanks for letting us know. :)

it also helps us all to realise names can be changed around willy-nilly!!

thats great news val, thanks for letting us know. :)

it also helps us all to realise names can be changed around willy-nilly!!
Hi Shera, yes that should be a lesson to us all! She is not the only person in my tree to use a different name, it must have been a popular thing to do.!!!!!

If only they knew what problems they would cause, i also have had that happen, spent 12months looking for him and kept coming back to the same person, said blow it and sent for cert and like Val was happy to have found him but a little deflated, it's the thrill of the chase :D

bren

If only they knew what problems they would cause, i also have had that happen, spent 12months looking for him and kept coming back to the same person, said blow it and sent for cert and like Val was happy to have found him but a little deflated, it's the thrill of the chase :D

bren
Hi Bren, glad I'm not the only one to feel deflated, its an odd feeling isnt it . Even when i was researching another member of the family, I would end up having a little search for Alice So as me and Bren agree, try every avenue you searchers!

Back