• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Mary, and her pet.

db84124

Brummophile
As the thread "Silly Rhymes" is proving to be quite popular, is there any chance of organising a "Mary had a Little Lamb" original verse competition? Perhaps verse sent in or published on this thread could be read out at the St George's Day get-together - after all, what could possibly be more English than Mary and her little lamb? - and members present at the Stag's Head on 24th April could vote for the most original, amusing or smuttiest(?) version.
To get the ball rolling:

Mary had a lamb at home,
It used to use a po,
And every time that Mary went,
The lamb was sure to go.

Only an idea, db84124

Last edited:
I hope you have your ticket booked to come over to read it yourself. After all it was your idea

Mary had a little lamb
She also had a Bear
I've often seen her little lamb
But I've never seen her Bear

A farmers' version:

Mary had a little lamb
its tail was freshly dagget
and everywhere Mary went
it didn't drop a maggot!

'dagging' for those who don't know, is the process of cutting away the dirty/soiled wool from the bum of a sheep....failing to do so results in an infestation of maggots!

Mary had a little lamb
she tied it to a pylon
and when they turned the power on
its wool was turned to nylon!

Mary had a little lamb
her father shot it dead
now Mary takes her lamb to school
between two hunks of bread!

Mary had a little lamb
and with this sheep did Mary sleep
the lamb turned out to be a ram
and Mary had ..... a little lamb!!

Mary had a little lamb
The midwife was surprised.
She thought she'd have a little girl
with the brightest of blue eyes.

mary had a little lamb..
she took it to the shops..
the butcher took it round the back
and turned it into chops...

Or what about
Mary had a little lamb
She fed it castor oil
And everytime it turned around
It fertilized the soil.

How about
Mary had a little lamb
She kept it in a bucket.....
Ermmm on second thoughts, perhaps not.

Last edited:
I get the impression that memory is playing a large part in our 'originality'.
I imagined that all verses entered would be of the member's creation. (In the opening posting, I didn't intend "original" to mean "different"; but 'newly created by the member him- or herself' - mine was)
Unfortunately, mike and Frothy, I won't be with you due to geographical difficulties, although - it goes without saying - I'd love to be. If I were able to come, I would willingly buy the 'winner' a pint, or the equivalent - it would be well worth it for the laughter I've already had from today's entries! David

Mary had a little lamb whose feet were covered in soot and everywhere that Mary went her sooty foot she put. Jean. Postie me thinks you chickened out there?.

Back