• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Martindales

gingerjon

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN R.I.P.
Well another Aston Birmingham building bites the dust Martindales (Crocodile works) Alama street, 1865 - 2007
new apartments.
The history in these buildings are just forgot in the rush to build apartments they can not sell

Shame about Martindales John. They were on that site at the bottom of Alma Street for over l00 years. They have moved on and are in Willenhall. Their offices are in Crocodile House. The best knives of their type in the world.
I have a photo of Martindales I took a few years ago from the top of a bus.

can you post please was it when they was in production then, I have the full history of Martindales I purchased it from Crocodile House Willenhall a few years back the book is not in circulation the then secretary got for me as a favour for £10 The surgeon from the General Hospital started the factory off in 1865 Mr Chevasse.

these photographs show the old Aston Brook culvert this as been hidden from view since the construction of the extensions added after the main building in Alma street.
The buildings in Alma Street are to be restored circa 1865, also the building in Porchester street as they are listed buildings, this latter building as some connection with school children more research required here unless some one out there knows any info

good photos john. hoping to go down and take a look tomorrow. i wonder what the connection with children is. would be great if we can find out. must do some digging.

hi john. its some time ago but while we were discussing the demise of the croc works you mentioned you thought one of the remaining building had something to do with children. i came accross this info about the asylum school which was in summer lane directly opposite alma street. its the closest i can come up with at the moment. even if its not what you were thinking of it makes interesting reading. wales.

Thanks Wales the piece about the Asylum school I wrote it some years ago and it is on the Astonbrook through Astonmanor site I actually worked on the same site when it was M M Lilley's. John H

oops sorry john. didnt realise you had wrote it. anyway its a bit of history that i didnt know about so thank you. i take it then that we are still looking for a connection between children and one of the remaining buildings on the croc site. will keep searching. wales

Don't despair - all is not lost.

Ralph Martindale & Co Ltd live on in new premises in Wednesfield, still making their machetes and still polishing them with hard felt pads my company supplies.

When I last visited the old works in Alma Street, about 5 years ago, the place was on its last legs and there was serious talk then of a move. I'm glad they did move, but I'd doubt if many of their work-force made the move with them.

'The Crocodile Works' - what a great name for a factory, that I used to pass every day on the No 7 bus on my way to school in Edgbaston. It came as a great surprise to me when after many, many years I found out what they made.

Big Gee

PS: Jennyann - sorry, I missed your post and see that you already mentioned their new factory. My mistake.

No probs Big Gee- I too used to pass by the Crocodile Works on my way to town to shop with my Mom, school in town, working in town on either the 5, 5a r No 7 Portland Road. When I started Junior school and put together the words Crocodile Works, my mind was full of what they might make in there and in the early days I suspect most people sailing by on the bus didn't know either.

When the Aldi store was built at New Town Shopping Centre in recent years, the Architect for Aldi stores, whom I know, sent me some photos of the site and adjoining areas. One photo captured the famous entrance to The Crocodile Works. I was thrilled and on my last visit to that area in 2004 I took a Number 5a from town to The Ridgeway just so that I could take a photo of The Crocodile Works as the bus turned the corner to go up Alma Street. I had to be quick but I got the photo.

Back