• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Martin of Aston

Pomgolian

Kiwi Brummie
Hi Aston

Your Jenney family lived next door to my Martin family in 1901 - my gt.grandparents James and Ellen Martin and family lived at 7 x 25 Court, Clifton Road, Aston (known as Gothic Terrace), next door to your family!! Small world.

I love your photo of the Aston Ladies in 1900. Do you think that was taken in Gothic Terrace?

:angel: Hi Judy I have Aston Martin's (no not the car :) in my tree: Madge Wood who married George Martin and had three children Phillip, Brenda who (married Archie Russell from Clifton Rd) and Valarie. The Martin family lived at 230 Park Lane in the 1940's till the 1960's, my Nan lived with them at that time.

Do you think we have a connection?

- Not sure if there is a connection. When was your George Martin born? My James & Ellen Martin had 8 children, 3 girls & 5 boys. I know nothing about the boys except their names - James, George b.1876, Thomas, John, Owen and Francis. I believe Francis moved to Dover and owned a pub there and one died in WW1. George was still unmarried and living at home in the 1901 census. Judy

:angel: Sorry Judy I haven't much on my Martin's as yet just what is posted. Madge Martin (Marjorie E Wood) was my Dads half sister, she and George P Martin would have married in the 1930's

I was hoping you may have a little more for me.

Never mind though I will carry on looking.

Disappointing that we have nothing more to go on. My George would be too early for your George - unless he was his father!! I have been trying to find out more about the Martins for quite a few years now. I have traced all the daughters, my grandmother Rose was the middle child so I have all the information on that line. Ellen jnr was eldest and Minnie the youngest and I have info on them too. I made a mistake in my last mail. There were 6 boys, not 5. I was told that 2 died of TB and 1 died in WW1. Francis (Frank) moved to Dover. Don't know what happened to the other two. If I find any connections I will get back to you.

Martins of Aston

Hello Aston

I found your Jenney family next to my Martins on the 1901 census. They weren't there in 1891 and lived at 36 Avenue Road, Aston. I also found the marriage of Frederick Charles Jenney to Leah Smith in 1899 in Aston on free BMD. My Martins lived in Gothic Terrace (25 Court, Clifton Road) for over 43 years - from 1881 until 1924, and then James & Ellen's daughter Minnie lived in the same house for at least another 13 years, until 1937, with her husband Ralph Jones. So, the family lived there for at least 56 years!!

Judy

Hi Jayell - I just picked up this thread. James Martin was living with his married sister Ellen Watts @ 205 Clifton Road in 1901. He was 27, unmarried, occupation cycle saddle maker. Census 2885;57;18;133. George was 25, unmarried & living @ parents address @ Gothic Terrace in 1901. Census 2885;61;26;180. Thomas Henry was also @ family home in 1901, he died 1924. Owen Alfred was 16 in 1901 & died during WW1. His death was registered by his brother George 02/09/1912. Francis k/a Frank was a professional footballer living in Ashford Kent, he later ran a pub.
Of the three sisters, Rose you will be well familiar with, Ellen married Ernest Watts (see above). Her grand daughter Mary Winifred Watts b.15/02/1920 is still active & I am sure you have already spoken to her about her family. Minnie married Ralph & later moved to 166 Albert Rd. She had a son & a daughter, the son having 4 sons, 2 from each of his 2 marriages, the daughter having 3 daughters from 1 marriage.

Hi Lostsoul - Wow! you know a lot about my family. Yes, my gt.granddad James Martin was living with his sister Ellen Watts in 1901, plus also all the other details you mention are correct. As to Francis/Frank - well I knew he had been a footballer and then ran a pub, but I thought it was in Dover and not Ashford. I have been trying to find out more about him for years.

I am in touch with Ellen's granddaughter, Mary and we have met. I have also been in touch with Tony Jones, Minnie's grandson. Can I ask if you have any connection to the family and if not how you have so much information? Looking forward to hearing more from you.

Judy

Back