• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Marriage / birth look up please. Aldridge & Hawkins

Spugalugs

proper brummie kid
Hi, I'm a relative beginner with tracing my family and have hit a brick wall square in the face !! I'm trying to confirm identity of the following persons Francis Aldridge and Maria Hawkins both born around 1792 (ish) I believe in Birmingham area. I've checked endless sites trying to confirm their details and the only trace I can find is on family search site which states they were married at St Martins, Brum on 2 Feb 1812. For many generations my family have lived in the Birmingham area so I'm assuming they were also from here or nearby but cant find out anything about them at all. There are numerous children linked to a Francis & Maria on fso with them being baptised at St Phillips but I cant confirm they are all one in the same. My main aim is to confirm these are the parents of William Aldridge who was born on 8 Jan 1829 in Birmingham. I'd be grateful if someone could check the St Martin parish records for any other details at all that might assist. Thanks :culpability:

Hi

The only extra info is that they were both of this parish, bachelor & spinster and they both made their mark.
Witnesses were Elizabeth & Samuel Aldridge who also made their marks.

Suzanne

Gosh that was quick, took me longer to find out how to say thanks than it did for you to respond. First time Ive tried this, Im impressed.....Thank you so much,

The IGI does have the christening of a Francis Aldridge on 20 May 1792 Tamworth - parents Samuel & Elizabeth Aldridge and the marriage in Tamworth of Samuel Aldridge & Elizabeth Smith on 7 Feb 1791

Suzanne

Just another quick question if I may, any idea why I couldn't find this marriage on any other sites like Ancestry, FreeBMD, Warwickshire BMD, various parish record sites, I tried all sorts of spellings, expanded the counties, tried 10 yrs either side of marraige so I was begining to think fso had made the marriage up ?

Just another quick question if I may, any idea why I couldn't find this marriage on any other sites like Ancestry, FreeBMD, Warwickshire BMD, various parish record sites, I tried all sorts of spellings, expanded the counties, tried 10 yrs either side of marraige so I was begining to think fso had made the marriage up ?

It all depends if the sites you have searched on have the relevant parish records. Ancestry and FMP are adding different ones quite often so it's down to luck really but the IGI does have a far more extensive records base I think.

Sorry I think our threads crossed. I did see the bapt of Frances in Tamworth in 1792 which would fit but on fso the child is shown as a girl, I can only assume this is a mistake as otherwise it fits because most of the census with Francis in states place of birth uk other than Warwickshire except one which does say Tamworth. PS what is the IGI ?

FreeBMD only deals with birth/marriages/deaths after the start of registration (1837)
The records on Ancestry and Findmypast (and the Genealogist) that pre-date that are parish records and the on-line status of the parishes/counties is patchy.

Good luck with your search. There are baptisms for Aldridge at St Martin's, so if you need those, let us know.

Back