• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Map of where Spaghetti Junction is now

marmalade

proper brummie kid
Hiya

Could someone send me in the right direction where I can find a map of the area where spaghetti junction is now?

I don't know how or where to start!

Thanks

:)

Hi Aqua and welcome, this is the best I can do at this time of night.

Sorry Alf, I read it as wanting a map of the area before it was built.

Is it on the M5?

Last edited by a moderator:
Where you been hiding Langy Yorkshire or something:)

Its in London them Cockneys have pinched it or said they had

WOW Thank you for that map! Thats amazing! I've been here 4 years and always wondered how to find one, ask on here and it appears!

:)

Thats a better map PMC I dident have time to stitch the pages togther last night.

Hi Aqua,

The red lines enclose postal districts and the red circles are post office locations.

Ebay is a good source for old maps and you can pick them up quite cheap.

pmc1947

You can find an 1890 accurate map country wide on the below site. It's the oldest Ordnance Survey I believe. The site takes a bit of time to use but once you have mastered it it is easy. There is all kinds of other info too.

https://www.british-history.ac.uk/Default.aspx

Many road and place names still remain the same, so used with Google Earth you can nearly always find the place. There is a search box too which sometimes helps. You will find that houses and even trees existing back then are represented in mostly recognisable fashion.

I've tried to search on that site before for B23 (the part of Erdington I'm interested in) and it says there are no matches :confused2:

I assume it's me doing something wrong!

Last edited by a moderator:
Aqua

Perhaps it might help, if you were to tell us where you are trying to find. You never know someone on this site may have first hand knowledge of the place you are trying to locate.

pmc1947

Hiya :)

I'm specifically looking for the area around Erdington Train Station then towards the South Road side of the village :)

E2A: I know thats not near spaghetti junction :D I've always been fascinated by the way that the expressway/M6 must have changed the area :)

Last edited:
Aqua, the search does not work all of the time. I have been to that area recently on the survey. Try Google Earth and look for a neighboring district then try that on the site. In this instance click on 'maps'...pick the top one '1:2500' and then 'Stafordshire', I think it is Stafordshire. This will get you to a grid system of maps and you can pick one with maybe Aston on it and then work your way up to Gravelly Hill I think it was; changing maps till you get there. On the top of each map there is a number which coincides with the grid and the numbers on the grid will show as you run your mouse over it. So that if you needed the next map up say, look for the one above the number you just looked at. Where you want I seem to remember is close to a map edge and you may have to go back and forth. No matter, you can open two windows. Good luck.

ps, if you don't get there let me know.

pps. the smaller scale 1:10000 maps work too but they are not as clear.

Last edited:
Let me be the first to compliment you on your name change marmalade although it can be a bit sticky:D

Hi Aqua and welcome, this is the best I can do at this time of night.
Hi Mike
Is that taken from "Bartholomew's Pocket Atlas and Guide to Birmingham"? 6 Shillings net, 1954 Page 22.
I was going to post the same from my copy.
If you had posted page 23 you would see where I was born, the triangle of Bromford Lane and Wheelwright Rd

Hi David, mine is 1945, cant see the price. I was outbid on the 1931 edition.

Although mine states 1954, it doesn't show Braemar Road in Olton where I lived for a few years. I know for sure that the house was built in the 30's but no road showing!
BTW I got mine from a car boot, probably 50p or less.:)

The maps have ' gone' . :( I'm looking for a map of Salford Bridge / where Spaghetti is now from 1900-1920 .
Can anyone assist ?

Ian.

Thanks Rupert - that's done the trick - quite self explanatory really - just had to find the correct map.

Ian.

Back