• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Mansfield Road

So I wonder what number C. Millington Coal and General Merchants was then? I must get over there and check out the street numbers. I know a lot of the houses towards Witton Road end were demolished in the 70's.........

It must have been a very small business, as the only C Millington in the 1912 Kellys is a painter in Smethwick

Saturday visits to Villa Park, re-living the game for the rest of the week in the road, keeping a sharp eye out for the Policeman.

Hi Dave,

I was a policeman and walked the streets of Aston for six years from 1952. Those must have been the years that you and your pals committed the heinous crime of football in the street. However I never saw anyone playing in Mansfield Road so you must have had a good lookout.

Chris Beresford (Old Boy)

I'm sure I've read about a Millington the coal dealer on another thread somewhere.......

I know that my grandmother ran a bit of a coal business from Mansfield Road (which would have been sometime around 1913)

I take it "whoops" refers to posting twice! However, I would apply the term to what they did to Mansfield Road by demolishing half of it.....whoops indeed.

Carl

So I wonder what number C. Millington Coal and General Merchants was then? I must get over there and check out the street numbers. I know a lot of the houses towards Witton Road end were demolished in the 70's.........
My nan was Shirley Millington she lived at either 1 back 1 or 1 back 11 if the census and marriage certificates are to be believed. She was born 1944. Her father Frederick Millington was a brass / plastic polisher. Grandfather was Thomas Millington. Does anyone remember her or her siblings? Margaret, Donald and Gordon?

My family the Rogers and holly lived in Mansfield rd /Albert rd
My grt nan Florence holdback holley lived at 87 ,she was daughter of Emma holdback who married Ernest Rogers son of William and Susannah .
I have fond memories of visiting Mansfield rd as a child .

I was born at number 24 in 1946 and lived there until the council, in their infinite widom, demolished them in the very early 70's
My father, Ernest, was also born there in 1906 and flew pigeons until we moved out.
Does anyone out there have a photgraph of Mansfield Road I could copy.
Many happy memories of Mansfield Road and Aston; Saturday visits to Villa Park, re-living the game for the rest of the week in the road, keeping a sharp eye out for the Policeman.
Shopping with mom down Newtown Row, wonderful atmosphere and a visit to my Uncle Howards second hand shop at the corner of High St and Park Lane. Bought most of my 45's off him and bikes.
I remember many friends from that time and hope they are sound as a pound, though I fear some may no longer be with us; Freddie Perks; Colin Bennett; Gilly and Geoff Bakewell, Alex Bennett, Keith Potter, Derek Warren, Barry Walton, Robert and Michael Collins, Wendy Nash, Barbara Smith, Hazel and Jennifer Nutt. It was indeed a lovely community with a good spirit and people willing to give a hand when needed, no locked doors. Good days I miss very much.
My grt nan lived at 87 Mansfield rd Florence holley . My dad lived with her .

We had a lot of family in the area Rogers William Susannah ,Ernest Rogers the holdbacks and Holley's

Back