• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Mann

• Thread starter Thread starter flounder
  • Start date Start date
F

flounder

Hope this the right place to ask, i have the information, (care of some wonderful people on here) for my gt gt grandad as Nasson Jesse Mann born 1860 married Lizzie Annie Cook born 1863, married date 1888 Aston, i am very curious as to the name, its very unusual compared to the rest of my family, he was born in England, but wondered if his parents were English. Can you help?
Many thanks
Wendy.xxx

The meaning of the Nason(note spellng) is 'he(god) has given' andis of Hebrew origin, so i think it's biblical, sorry can't be of more help

The correct spelling is Naasson,haven't a clue where it came from.

Naasson J Mann was my mother in law's Grandfather,I am not sure when he died but have found him still living in 1939 at 49 Homes Building Palmer street St Bartholemew ward not sure what Homes Buildings means. I have been told he was called Jessie rather than Naasson,so that maybe why we haven't found his death

The spelling on the 1901 census i have is Nasson, but that could be wrong as officials often spelt names/places differently, he was born 1860 in Great Comberton, Worcester. He was living in Heathmill lane, Aston, in 1901. He would have been living at Bolton Street in 1930 (electoral roll), he had 7 children in total. Is this the same one?
Wendy.xxx

Yes its the same one ,I have his sons birth certificate Hery Percy Mann,who is the eldest son,my mother in laws father.

Have had another look at the census and think you have the spelling right and i am wrong, (got a headache squinting at the screen). Thats just amazing. I am Edward.V.Mann, who is the 2nd youngest son of Naasson, gt gt grand-daughter, my grandad, Thomas Edward has a small picture of him on his wall.
Wendy.xxx

I thought it was the same one,such an unusual name I have been told it is biblical it is in one of the long pedigees in the bible and means son of Jesse,sorry I spelt that wrong last time. I have never seen a photo of any the family,wonder if there was a likeness my mother in law died in 2004.

I havent got a scanner but will try and sort something out to get a copy to you, from what my grandad says, he was a wonderful man, firm but fair, apparently he bred angora rabbits?? Am going to did round other living relatives to find out a bit more personal information, may take a while. Grandad was under the impression that there was only 2 brothers in the family, he was shocked when i told him today that there were 7 altogether. He remembers going to see his grandparents reguarly, he cant remember the road names but says its the other side of snow hill station/wimbushes? I havent got a clue.

That would be lovely if you could get a copy. My mother in law also thought he was a wonderful man, wonder if your grandfather new my mother in law Doris may mann.

I will get all the info to grandad tommorow, see him every day, and will ask him. I look at all the names i have and they are all linked somehow, middle names, 1st names and such, girls and boys, even my own children, but so far no one has used the name 'Naasson', a shame, because is i had known i wouldve used it, its unusual, but lovely.
I will pm you my email addy, so we dont hog the forums lol

Back