• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Mann / Humphrey Families Ladywood

Night nurse

master brummie
I am trying to find these families in Ladywood.
Alfred Mann had a son Harold born 1922 ( mother Layton ) who lived at 2 back of 144 Grosvenor Street West Ladywood. Harold married Gladys Humphreys born 1920 who lived at 57 Steward Street Ladywood. They then lived in Abbey Street with 3 sons Derek Trevor & Graham.
I am unable to find more history on Alfred Mann or Joseph Humphreys and their families.
Any help gratefully received. Also anyone who remembers the family would be fantastic.
Thank you.

Last edited:
This is the only information I have to go on at the moment. Thought it might help. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_2102.JPG
    IMG_2102.JPG
    406.8 KB · Views: 19
In 1945 the registered voters at 57 Steward Street were Victor and Florence Humphreys. As Joseph was dead this might be a brother and Mother or a brother and his wife.

There is a marriage for Joseph Humphreys to Florence Hall in 1915 and the birth of Gladys is registered in 1921 with Mother's maiden name Hall. Joseph seems to have died in 1938.

Attachments

• Humphreys marriage 1915.JPG
    Humphreys marriage 1915.JPG
    108.1 KB · Views: 9
I should have said that the info on the marriage cert gets you into the census records. I can't at the moment find a marriage of Mann to Layton although I found the births of several children in addition to Harold. I will have another look later.

Alfred Mann/Ellen Layton registered Bham Mar qtr 1906

(listed as Manns)

Ancestry lists them as living at 4 Clark St in 1925.

Last edited:
Thank you very much. I have lots of information for the generation of,brothers and sisters but not on the parents and grand parents etc. I would love any news on the family before Harold was born. Where they lived etc.
Harold had 4 sisters and Gladys has 2 brothers and 1 sister.

Eternally grateful.

Thanks - I did wonder if it had an error on the record. I think I now have them on 1911 census. 1 bk of 150 Heath Street. They are still at Clark Street in 1930. However, in 1935 the entry is Alfred and Alice Mann - wonder if Ellen had died? 1939 it is Alfred and Frederick. 1945 Alfred and Ethel Mann.

Attachments

• Mann 1911.JPG
    Mann 1911.JPG
    153 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Thank you.
The census ties in with what I know as Alfred & Ellen with a daughter Beatrice.
Don't know of an Alice but will ask family.
Don't know a Fredrick either. Harold was only son ???
Ethel was Harolds sister who married a GI and went to Ohio. We have family alive there. I think it was 1945 when she married Charles.

I can't find anything to link them to the other children which is a mystery. I can't find anything with Harold on a child with his other siblings.

Every bit helps me. Thanks.

Do you mean the other children on the census - if you look closely they are listed as nephew and niece. Births list a Frederick born in 1915 Mother Layton. Also an Ivy born 1912. Harold 1922, Gladys Jan 1917, Hilda Dec 1917, Ethel 1920, Vera 1928. There must be a couple of others as on the 1911 census 2 have died.
Just realised that before that date the Mother's maiden name would not show on the record, although it is on the birth certificate, so it is harder to find the children.

Last edited:
It looks like Ellen died in 1934, registered Bham Mar qtr.

On the 1939 register it looks like Alfred is living with Fred and Harold and 2 of the youngest daughters, who's records are closed.

On the 1911 census the number of children born to a married couple were supposed to be listed as well as the number of children of those still living (any children from previous marriages were not included). So for Alfred and Ellen it implies that they had 3 children together and at the time of the census only Beatrice was still alive.

I suspect though that there was some confusion (maybe including miscarriages etc) and mistakes were made.

It's also possible that the nephew and niece listed might be Ellen's children.

Of the Mann/Layton children Ivy & Vera appear to have died young. And there is a birth registered for an Alice A Mann, Bham Jun qtr of 1911, which unfortunately falls between the census and the time when the mother's maiden name was listed, though she appears to marry before 1935.

Thank you. I have a lot of research to do.
Just wish I could find Harold named on a register or census. I know he was a driver in the army so maybe he was listed out of the midlands until he married.
Confused dot com !!

The 1939 register is on findmypast. You need a subscription to view it. I don't have one but some on here do so someone might paste/attach a copy.

Censuses are only available up to 1911, so it's only the 1939 register that would have any significant info.

Harold is listed on 1939 register with Alfred + one more person and 2 whose records are closed. You can search but not see the details on FMP.

Apart from the 1939 register the only place you will find Harold is the e rolls. He would have been entitled to vote in 1943 but there was no register until 1945. As to the children listed as nephew and niece on the 1911 census - you would need to purchase a birth certificate to check who the parents were (both too early for Mother's maiden name to appear) or hope there is a baptismal record.

Last edited:
On the 1945 e roll only Gladys is listed at 18 back of 57 Abbey Street without Harold (assume he was still in the army). In 1950 (the next one online) Harold is there as well.
WW2 army records are hard to find as many are still subject to privacy rules. You could try https://www.forces-war-records.co.uk but without many details it is difficult and you need to pay.

Thank you for all your help. I have located Alfred's DOB which is a bonus thanks to the new info you have given me. Just need to try and find The right Layton so,it all matches. I'll keep going.

Glad we have helped - do let us know how you get on. It is always nice to see outcomes as well as starting points.

On the subject of Humpreyes there was also humpreys living around the corner from steward st
And that was Ingleby street which where the other Humpreys lived and there kids was at steward street school as well
and around the corner from there was the Laytons in kingedwards road ladywood
i knew these familys as we was all neibours Astonian , Alan,,,

Hi Alan my husbands dad married a Humphrey whose mother was Layton before her marriage. I can only assume and hope that this is how they all knew each other and a new generation was born. How exciting. I only wish I had some pictures or photos of this generation of people. Much appreciated your input and endeavour. Janette

Hi Night nurse
I would just like to add that there was a member of Laytons family the one which was in kingedwards road
in fact was named Alfred we called him Alffie
and as i said they Humpreys was about 400 yards from each other if i was to measure the distance
Humpreys was about half way down ingleby street it was in fact as well on a hill
so walking up the hill and turn the corner and cross over the road was the laytons house
they had a little wagon and it was always stacked up with empty tea chest every day of week
best wishes Astonioan....

Hi Night nurse
Just picked up on the forum regarding your question
As i recall them humpreys was there from fortys they could have been slightly earlier
and i know they was there in the fiftys which it was then they moved
i dont know whether or not you knew the area but Ingleby street ladywood is the same street
As the old dance hall the palie which was the huge dance hall for bands before the war and just after
Humprey lived about fifty doors away from the entrance of the palicade
the old man used to tell us stories about the old days
steward street school was at the bottom more or less of there road
and there was a school entrance gate to enter the school play ground
steward street its self was on the block ingleby street around the other side of the play ground
and the entrance was at the bottom of there street
and there was humprets actualy the other side of the school
The other family Alfie lived just along from the pallie around the corner in little kingedwards road
we lived across from them in the big kingedwards road from our front door we could see them coming
and going out of there front door they was in busines of tea chests
many years later i learnt they had a big yard up in spark brook at the back of moseley road
where there tea chest for sales and bought the son was named Alfred he had another brother
Alfred had black hair his brother fair hair
these was also about the same period of years
May i Also tell you my life long friend david his father died , but many years later she met up with a mr layton
whom was related i think his wife died and Irene my mates mom used to go out and stay with her in the end
He was a little chap and old wore dark framed spects he apparently died on her
best wishes Astonian,,,,,,

Thought I would just update you as your help was vital in my research.
I have found out that Ellen died in 1934 and is buried in Key hill cemetery and Alfred died in Queen Elizabeth hospital aged 71 with a bleed on the brain. He did indeed live at 4 Clark street with the family until he died. I have yet to find out where he is buried but I will carry on looking.
your help inspired me to delve into the family tree more. Thank you.

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
Back