• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Mangle or Wringer

We always called it a mangle,good body building exercise turning the handle.:rolleyes:
Baron,how did you come by the school desk?...I have the school bell,Miss Jackson the juniors headmistress,threw it in the waste bin because it was broke I liberated it c 1946:)...have polished it up for this photo.call.:)

Last edited:
Sometimes wish I still had my old wringer!!
It was much better at getting the water out of the clothes than my modern day washing machine...........I used to have a Service twintub that served my for nearly 40yrs before it has to go due to too many holes in it and I also had a fold down table Wringer that was great, it had rubber rollers as opposed to the Mangle my Nan had which had wooden rollers.

Not all modern conviences as quite as good as some "good old fashioned" things :rolleyes: :D

My mom's mangle was a fold down type with a wooden table top and when it was not wash day this was our kitchen table.

I can remember as though it was only yesterday when mom washed on a warm day, it was bed-clothes first. She would struggle with the help of me and two brothers to get the dripping wet sheets on the line. She did not put them through the mangle because it was quicker to just hang them out sodden and get on with something else If it was a breezy day, dad would be pleased because the water from the washing would help water the veggies growing close to the path. It was usually chips for us on wash day.

Stitcher, can you remember the sound of wash-day too? Where I lived, at Hillt Top, West Bromwich, on wash-day, you could hear the dull thump of a thousand poss-sticks going at it, like tribal drums. Rorke's Drift had nothing on it! :D

Hello Johno, no I never heard that because I was born Acocks Green and our house had a bathroom with a boiler in the corner. Light things were washed by hand in the bath, some things were scrubbed on a board placed over the bath and things like jeans and overhalls were boiled in the boiler.

Ours was a wringer. My Mom bought it just as the snow started in 1947 and as it was in the backyard it couldn't be used for many weeks. I was told not to put my fingers anywhere near the rollers which of course I did and had some nice squashed fingers and no doubt yelled blue murder. Was told it served me right for not doing as I was told!

Rowan, we had a fold down wringer and like you it doubled for a table , it also had rubber rollers and l remember it was light grey in colour....after that mom got a wringer that attached to the sink on wash day and was put up when finished using it untill next wash day, mom would always go for anything that caused less work....as she always said there was nothing good about the good old days when it came to womans work...Brenda

My mom's washday started with a very early start.Light the fire in the house when that was going, take a shovel full of fire down the yard to the brewhouse,and light the fire under the boiler.Then she would go to her job as a cleaner at the school,by the time she returned the boiler would have heated up.Now the real work started,she washed everything (including dad's overalls covered in caste iron and oil) using a dolly and tub,then the mangle came into operation,and of course the hanging out on the line in the yard.If it rained on a monday,(always wash day),I would make myself (self preservation) scarce,my dear mom could be very feisty,if god didn't behave on himself on that day of day's.... WASH DAY.:rolleyes:

My great grandfather Henry May 1854 - 1925 Birmingham made mangles. A cousin in Australia has seen one in a pioneer museum made by Henry May and there is also one in St Just Cornwall. Both mangles have the name Henry May Birmingham on them. I would be really interested to know more information. Does anyone have a mangle with Henry May on it. I believe they are popular now as garden ornaments.

There was a Henry May, general merchant at 123 Sandpits, but cannot find reference specifically tomangles

Back