• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Malthouse Lane, Alum Rock/Washwood Heath

Pat Hm

proper brummie kid
Does anyone have any old photographs/historical info re Malthouse Lane (Alum Rock/Washwood Heath/Ward End) prior to it being redeveloped in the 1970s/80s, please? In my childhood in the early sixties it was a place I frequently went to as my little schoolfriend lived in one of the old Victorian terraced houses there. There were several very old cottages in a little alleyway leading off it in those days, too. The name suggests it had an interesting history and I would love to know more. (Malthouse Lane runs off Highfield Road/Alum Rock and down to the junction of Wright Road with Washwood Heath Road. Thanks.

Welcome to the forum Pat.
When I first married in 1961 we had a flat over the shops opposite the old police station in Washwood Heath road, malthouse lane was behind the station and in the days when all shops closed early , I would go to the off licence?outdoor in the lane to get my crisps and tizer.

There are a couple of other threads about Malthouse Lane but they contain little.

It appears it was one of the earliest roads to be developed in the area. The earliest map is about 1890 and the majority of the houses (including a couple of terraces) that are on the 1950 map have already been built.

Here's a link to the early map...

Thank you very much. That map is brilliant and I shall be sending for a copy!

Welcome to the forum Pat.
When I first married in 1961 we had a flat over the shops opposite the old police station in Washwood Heath road, malthouse lane was behind the station and in the days when all shops closed early , I would go to the off licence?outdoor in the lane to get my crisps and tizer.
Ah, yes, Alberta! I remember the old police station and the off license (which I recall as one of those which had the old brass pumps and served customers who brought in their own jugs!). We used to go in there for dandelion and burdoch pop. I have some great memories of the bit of Washwood Heath that you lived on. Lucas's the hardware shop would have been just across the road from you (great source of both paraffin and fireworks - which were, astonishingly, stored next to each other - for us!) ; there was (possibly a toy or giftshop or newsagent's?) a shop just below where your flat must have been, with a window full of toys... my mum bought me some glittery plastic Cinderella high-heels there once, and also a magic wand that ran off batteries! And on the corner of W. Heath and Aston church road was a shoe shop we used to use. We also frequented the pawn shop in Wright Rd on occasions (we had to dodge in fast so that no-one we knew would see us!): it was a real lifesaver at times, that place! Thanks for reminding me.

I lived over the other shop also owned by Ernie Lucas, they sold carpets. right next to the railway line so my china rattled when a train went past.

Washwood Heath Police Station was my first posting when I joined the Birmingham City Police in September 1963. We always left and entered the Station from the rear entrance in Malthouse Lane. Changed a lot since then.

Washwood Heath Police Station was my first posting when I joined the Birmingham City Police in September 1963. We always left and entered the Station from the rear entrance in Malthouse Lane. Changed a lot since then.
Yes, unfortunately it does seem to have done. A lot of the surrounding old housing stock is still there, though, it seems - on Washwood Heath Rd, Wright Rd and Highfield Road etc - though I haven't actually walked around there in a very long time. We lived in Tarry Rd, which ran off the Alum Rock Rd at one end and off Harts Rd at the other.

My Grandparents moved onto the Retirement Bungalows when they new, I think it was 1968 or 69.

The outdoor was right next door to the bungalow but I think it had closed down by about 1972.

Thanks for bringing this up, I must look for photos!

Regards Ian in Sutton

My Grandparents moved onto the Retirement Bungalows when they new, I think it was 1968 or 69.

The outdoor was right next door to the bungalow but I think it had closed down by about 1972.

Thanks for bringing this up, I must look for photos!

Regards Ian in Sutton
Oh, it'd be great if you had one! I have discovered that there is one photo of Malthouse Lane, circa mid-60s, in the Birmingham Archives at Central Library. I will try to call in to view it sometime. You can photograph what they have but for personal use only, though if this is a good pic I will ask permission to post here. Meanwhile, would love to see anything you have.

Does anyone have any old photographs/historical info re Malthouse Lane (Alum Rock/Washwood Heath/Ward End) prior to it being redeveloped in the 1970s/80s, please? In my childhood in the early sixties it was a place I frequently went to as my little schoolfriend lived in one of the old Victorian terraced houses there. There were several very old cottages in a little alleyway leading off it in those days, too. The name suggests it had an interesting history and I would love to know more. (Malthouse Lane runs off Highfield Road/Alum Rock and down to the junction of Wright Road with Washwood Heath Road. Thanks.
Hello Pat - across from our house on Salisbury road/Malthouse lane (we lived in the old Malthouse? there was an alleyway with some cottages - I think about half way up a girl lived there called Vicky Basketfield who had to leave and go and live with her grandmother down on the aston church road. Further up in the last house was a lady who had 4 girls - not sure but her husband was killed and the council moved her to a corner house on wright road and salisbury road. best wishes carol truman

Hello Pat - across from our house on Salisbury road/Malthouse lane (we lived in the old Malthouse? there was an alleyway with some cottages - I think about half way up a girl lived there called Vicky Basketfield who had to leave and go and live with her grandmother down on the aston church road. Further up in the last house was a lady who had 4 girls - not sure but her husband was killed and the council moved her to a corner house on wright road and salisbury road. best wishes carol truman
Hi Carol, thanks for commenting. My friend was Denise Walker; they lived in one of the very old terraced houses on Malthouse Lane itself. They lived there with Denise's grandmother; the Walkers had lived there many years. The grandfather had been an air-raid warden in the World War II and was killed whilst on duty, during an air raid in Wright Rd. Fantastic that you actually lived in the old Malthouse! No photographs of it, I guess? I am really not having any luck locating any.

hello - yes I vaguely remember the walkers in the lane especially Mary she would wave to us and laugh, she was lovely, she was disabled wasnt she and would play ball up the wall for hours, and yes I do have a photo of the Malthouse - my brother david has most of the family photos - I took it many many years ago when we still lived there and it was with a old brownie camera so it is a bit blurry. I will contact david and ask him to let me have a copy to post

Nice that you remember them, Carol. Sadly, my friend Denise died last year but her brothers David and Glynn, who were also born in Malthouse Lane, are still living in Alum Rock. I would love to see a photograph! Thanks for making contact.

Hi, I'm wondering if anyone on this thread could help. My parents are looking for an old friend who lived on washwood heath road from early 60s to late 70s.

His name is Errol brown/Reid. I know he was a teenager in the 70's. He is black but was adopted so lived with white parents. He also had a brother.

Does this ring a bell? Thanks so much

Back