• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Lysimachus - Where are you?

Dennis Williams

Gone but not forgotten
I recently came across this photo of No 5, Bennett's Hill dated 1932 from Joseph McKenna's great book "Birmingham Between The Wars". I was first fascinated by the rather incongruous bust of someone called Lysimachus adorning the front apron of the building, then by the comments of the author concerning the Hutton link.

It begs quite a few questions methinks, not necessarily in any order, but this is mine:

1. Who nicked our Lysimachus? Where has he gone? He has definitely disappeared from his plinth according to the latest Google Earth shot. Who was he anyway (helpful link enclosed)?
2. What was his relevance, if any, to whatever went on in that magnificent building?
3. Why was Cathy Hutton's Directoires in such a fearful tangle over the naming of the thoroughfare (given that the Bennett's Hill in Saltley pictured on Google does not look particularly fragrant compared to this 'upstart'? Anyone got a piccy of William's Country House at the time she wrote her snotty letter, to better judge her claim perhaps?

So many questions. I think I need a lie down and my medication for now...

Useful links
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catherine_Hutton

https://virtualreligion.net/iho/lysimachus.html

Lysimachus (Greek: Λυσίμαχος, Lysimachos; 360 BCE - 281 BCE) was a Macedonian officer and diadochus (i.e. "successor") of Alexander the Great, who became a basileus ("king") in 306 BCE, ruling Thrace, Asia Minor and Macedonia. Lysimachus was born in 362/361 BC, the son of the Thessalian Agathocles from Crannon. He was granted citizenship in Macedon and was educated at the court in Pella. He was probably appointed Somatophylax during the reign of Philip II. During Alexander's Persian campaigns, he was one of his immediate bodyguards. In 324 BCE, in Susa, he was crowned in recognition for his actions in India. After Alexander’s death in 323 BCE, he was appointed to the government of Thrace as strategos. So what I hear you cry...

Over to the experts...

Perhaps the bust was brought back from a Grand Tour as a souvenier and stuck outside as an act of one upmanship. What would the condition of the bust been like had it been exposed for many years in Birminghams smoky atmoshpere?. Perhaps he sadly ended up in a skip during a revamp. I see across the road you have another General. This one however with more scruples..Wellington. Google Earths great. Here I am sitting in Bromyard with the G'kids yet I can walk around Birmingham at the same time.

Nice thread, akin to "WHATEVER HAPPENED TO KING KONG". Could become big.

A bit far-fetched, but perhaps a clue: William Arthur Addinsell [born 1858 Aston; married 1891 Solihull Annie Beatrice Richards (1862 - 1950); died 17 June 1943] was in 1888 living at 16 Bennett's Hill and also a member of the Society For The Promotion Of Hellenic Studies. W A Addinsell was the father of "Warsaw Concerto" composer Richard Addinsell. By 1891 W A Addinsell (a chartered accountant by trade) was honorary secretary of the Birmingham Dental Hospital, from which position he appears to have retired circa 1907.

Perhaps we have a whole street of hellenophiles here!

Just so we know who we're looking for, pictured below are: [1] the Bennett's Hill Lysimachus; [2] a similar bust (University of Texas website); [3] a Lysimachus gold stater. The head is almost certainly of Alexander the Great.

Last edited:
I had a look on the B'ham Museums and Art Gallery site. He does not appear to have taken up residence in their care. Not being any good at geneology I will leave that track to other takers.

Just to muddy the waters or maybe scatter a red herring I have found that Lysimachus is a character, a city govenor, in Shakespear's play "Pericles". Well you you know what a name dropper and mangler of history old Bill was.

Last edited:
W A Addinsell is probably a red herring. He was a partner in the chartered accountants Addinsell and Wilkinson in the late 1880s and early 1890s, and their office was at 16 Bennett's Hill.

I can't find no 16 on Google street view. I don't suppose no 5 was numbered no 16 in that period ...?

[I'm suffering from smilie deprivation!]

I'm suffering History lessons again on Birmingham I'm pleased to say just like a few years back

Last edited:
You do learn a lot on this forum, whether it is actually of any use to you is another thing. But its fun and keeps the brain active.

Back