• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Lozells

brilliant max..cant be certain but i think the corner building may still be there....

lyn

brilliant max..cant be certain but i think the corner building may still be there....

lyn

I really should have looked when we had the meet at Soho House. Another forum member assures me that the church building on the left is still there. Max

what a great pic topsy....as you can probably see the church on the right of your pic is on the left on the last one max posted...wonderful..

lyn

Smashing photo Topsy. I hope you dont mind i have tried to improve the image a bit. ( i hope it works ) keep them coming. Max

Max and Topsy - Thanks for posting the photos of Villa Road. They bring back many memories to me, as I used to walk down that road so many times in my younger days. I used to go on the tram from the Villa Road terminus to Lozells quite often in the late 1940s/early 1950's when I lived at Soho Hall Hotel (now Soho House) in Soho Avenue. When I left Handsworth in 1956 the church building in the left was still there. The building on the right was a cafe.

In Topsy's picture, where the car is parked on the right hand side, just at the tram terminus was Mrs Payne's sweet shop, and she used to sell Tizer by the glass for about an old penny. Can I ask which book you got the photo from Topsy please, as I should love to buy it.

Judy

hi ya judy....nice to see you posting...i thought of you as soon as these pics came up...i can also remember buying tizer pop by the glass from the little shop that was next to the villa cross picture house..actually its a listed building and still stands....

lyn

Hi Lyn

Still around, but keeping pretty busy these days. Love the pictures on this thread. I don't remember the shop next to the Villa Cross, but do remember going to the pictures there often. There would regularly be a long queue outside on a Saturday night. I didn't realise it was still standing. That is excellent news, as I know the Regal at the top of Soho Road has gone. That was another of my favourites picture houses.

Judy

Anyone with an interest in true crime will doubtless be familiar with the unsolved murder in 1876 of Charles Bravo, in Balham, London. This is one of the classic unsolved murders. One of the two suspects, his housekeeper Jane Cox, moved away from Balham when the case against her collapsed through lack of evidence, and lived for a time in Villa Road, in rooms near the Soho Road end. No big deal, but interesting.

Big Gee

oops sorry judy think ive mislead you a little its the little shop that is still there..the picture house sadly is not...i used to go on saturday mornings...

thanks big gee that is very interesting...

lyn

hi topsy..judy was asking in post 338 what books your pics came from as she would like to buy it..come to think of it i wouldnt mind either...these lastest pics are marvelous..i love the 3rdd one in perticular as ive not got one single pic showing the buildings at that top end of newtown row...

thanks everso

lyn

Lyn you are welcome to have them.They are from the ones i offered to give away a while ago.They were amongst a family members who was intersted in transport.When i started to look through them i hadn,t realised there were interesting locations inside.Got in hot water the last time i offered to give them to a good home.So it put me off posting any pics.

hi topsy..please dont be put off posting any pics..if i felt like that the many hundreds i have posted would not have been seen...so long as you are not making any money out of it you are not breaking any copyright rules...and if we did unwittingly infringe we will just take the pic off the forum....so please keep on posting as these pics are just great...

lyn...

Yes Topsy, I'll let you know in no uncertain terms if you post one with me with the broom and in my curlers....

Hi Mike.
Just found this link and noticed your map on post 171. My gt grandfather was Joseph hanks a glass blower and moved to Birmingham around 1886 from Bromsgrove in the 1891 census he is living in Hunters vale . I am told he worked for a Mr Vale or Wells a glass works in villa st .I wonder If the glass works on this map could be the one. any help would be apreciated

John
You seem to have struck it lucky . The 1890 Kellys gives Charles Vale, glass cutter at 82 villa St. this corresponds about to where the glass works is situated. I have attached a larger scale map of the area., The rivet works is 64-72. Presumably your joseph blew the glass for Mr Vale etc to later cut.
Mike

map_c_1889_glass_works_82_villa_st.JPG

hi john..if you go to the nursery road newagents thread and also the villa st/nursery road thread i have posted many old pics. if memory serves me.one or two are very close to the numbers in villa st you are researching....

any probs finding them just get back to me....

lyn

Last edited:
john..looking at mikes map i would judge the rivet works to be dead opposite hunters vale...

lyn

no probs john..be nice to know how you get on....oh and hunters vale is still there...

lyn

hi ya judy....nice to see you posting...i thought of you as soon as these pics came up...i can also remember buying tizer pop by the glass from the little shop that was next to the villa cross picture house..actually its a listed building and still stands....

lyn

" Lyn.........What was the name of the sweet shop, next to the Villa Cross picture house? The Candy Store rings a bell."

Heres a cracking Photograph of Alfred Juggins shop in Lozells, many Birmingham families had there "special" photographs taken by this firm . Max

Heres a cracking Photograph of Alfred Juggins shop in Lozells, many Birmingham families had there "special" photographs taken by this firm . Max
Hi Dennis,just very slightly off thread, in the back of our Wedding album taken in 1954 it says they were taken
by SG Smith MPS, 735 Washwood Heath Road, they were very good value at £14, everyone says how good they are, Bernard

Back