• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Loxton Street School

• Thread starter Thread starter sircharles60
  • Start date Start date
Hi I remember Loxton st school,all the girls from Bloomsbury girls used to go there every week to dance with the boys, by the way did you have a sister that went to Bloomsbury school, Ialso went to the old orignal St Matthews, started there 1947/48

Hi, Darkie49,

Sorry for the delay in responding. I've been off the computer for a few days.

Yes, lots of members seem to remember Locko. But I am not of the period that recalls such social occasions as having girls come to the school to dance with us boys...!

I think that period must have been after the war when things were slowly getting back to normal. I was at Locko during the war when such occasions as school dances were in short supply!

Incidentally ,my sister did not attend Bloomsbury School. I believe she went to Elkington Street.

Cheers,

Jim Pedley (pedlarman)
icon14.gif

Ernie: With reference to my prior complaints that I never come across Loxtonians from my period, perhaps I and fellow members should recall that I cannot get to Heartlands meetings and gatherings because I am tethered to an oxygen machine all day. Mobile cannisters wouldn't last long enough to get me there and back...

No doubt, if I could present myself in other members' presence, there would be a few fingers (including mine!) pointed, and a few exclamations of: "Well, if it ain't, it is...!

Cheers,

Jim
icon14.gif

JIM. I have never been to a meeting mainly probably in the arkwardness of getting there and of expecting lots of faces that I dont know of.
Still we have our memories Jim that we should not want to lose.

Hi pedlar man. I was around in the era of 43-45 when Hartshorne was Headmaster.I remember getting a touch of his cane on my hand for being late 3 times.'wow' did that hurt.
Tryng hard to remember other names. Mine Les.

ps just remembered Mr. Groves.

Mr Hartshorne given an electric blanket as a retirement present all those years ago, paid for by a collection from the pupils of the seniors.

Hi pedlar man. I was around in the era of 43-45 when Hartshorne was Headmaster.I remember getting a touch of his cane on my hand for being late 3 times.'wow' did that hurt.

Hi, Les,

Welcome to my Locko period of 1943...! What's more, I have just come across my leaving certificate - January, 1943.

When I have learned how to attach it's image to a post, I'll let you have a looksee.

Meanwhile, I have managed to get the image onto a file called "Attachments" but for the life of me I don't see how to transfer it to a post. ( Well, I have confessed in the past to being a bit of a dimwit...)

Incidentally, Mr Grove (nickname "Groggie) was one of my favourite teachers. Another was Mr. Walker (nickname "Daddie"), the art and music teacher. Mr. Griffiths (nickname "Dickie") was the headmaster in my time.

I don't know whether you know this, but Mr. Walker's son - Peter - is a member of Heartlands and contributes often with his interesting posts...

Cheers,

Jim Pedley (pedlarman)
icon14.gif

Les: Here is my attempt to show you my leaving certificate from Loxton Street SB School. This time I managed to post it. Last time I tried, I was unfamiliar with the routine and the first mistake I made was not rolling up the window that gave me further instructions.

My second mistake - when I overcame the first! - was wondering where the hell my image had gone. Because all that was showing was a little red cross inside a square frame...

I decided to try previewing my post and - Presto! - there was my image, complete in all it's glory!

Anyway, the image might convey an attempt at a little self -agrandisment. It's not. It's just that I want to prove that I am as ancient as I say I am - which is probably the reason that I have not come across any of my old classmates, yet...

If this leaving certificate brings some of them out of hiding, then it will have done what I intended it to do...!

Cheers,

Jim Pedley pedlarman)
icon14.gif

Last edited:
Hi Jim
Got a look at your school cert. Very impressive. I can't remember mine,but no doubt it would have been below this standard.
Groves was my favourite too. Can't remember much about the others. We moved house to Cathcart Street, nr. Duddeston Mill Road after being bombed out of our abode in Lawley St. sometime around end of 1942. I only had 2 years of Loxton St. before leaving in 1945.
Did you do National Service !948 -51?
Les

Hi Jim
Got a look at your school cert. Very impressive. I can't remember mine,but no doubt it would have been below this standard.
Groves was my favourite too. Can't remember much about the others. We moved house to Cathcart Street, nr. Duddeston Mill Road after being bombed out of our abode in Lawley St. sometime around end of 1942. I only had 2 years of Loxton St. before leaving in 1945.
Did you do National Service !948 -51?
Les

Hi, Les,

Yes, most of us kids in 3A loved Groggie. He looked tough but he had a heart of gold.

Like you, I was bombed out from where I used to live - Adams Street, which was situated at the far end of Gt. Lister Street, just off Dartmouth Street. We finished up in New John Street West, at Hockley.

Nevertheless, when the structural damage was rebuilt and the unexploded bomb removed, we came back - to the same house in Adams Street, which was in the shadow of Saltley gasworks! And this was the target the Luftwaffe had been after for ages! Talk about getting back to basics...!

Anyway, I left school in 1943 and took a job at Holt Brewery as office boy. When I was within twelve months of conscription, I decided I should get myself a set of muscles so I took a job as a labourer in a factory across the road from where I lived.

I was called up in March, 1947 and spent my National Service in the Royal Marines, being demobbed in June 1949. Incidentally, I heard it said that my squad was the first squad to be demobbed without civvy suits...! Whether this was true or not, I don't know.

But - as I have always said - "If your name's Pedley..."

Cheers,

Jim
icon14.gif

Hi Jim
I see Adams St. crossed Heneage St. I have a cousin whose Mom and Dad lived there. Name is Ken Knowles.
My sister got married at (I think) St. Mathews which was on Heneage St. Maybe your local church.
Yes the Bosch were not very good bomb aimers in my case they were after the railway sidings down the bottom of Lawley St.
Did you get recalled for the Korean war. I remember some reservists who were called up for this conflict. I had only been in the army for a few weeks and one night, just before some of these guys were being shipped out ,they went berserk and smashed the camp up.Not many Brummies among them, mainly Welsh.
Les

View attachment 33081 And Loxton Street as it was being demolished. Sorry it took so long to pass on these pics, its just that it took me 6 years to find them again, but I did mention all them years ago that I had them, and am now glad to pass them on. Barry.

Well done Bazz
These pictures remind me of how Loxton street was laid out, the playground is clearly visible.
Les

Les. Glad you like the pictures. It took me years to track them down, but I knew I had them somewhere. I took the photos from our kitchen window on the eighth floor of Queens Tower which, as you can see, over-looked the school. Im really glad I did find them and put them up, before they got lost forever. Barry.

only six years bazz.....well theres hope for me yet then....lol

great pics..worth waiting for...

lyn

Hello BAZ M.

Thankyou for waiting 6 years before showing those great pictures of Loco.I have only just joined the Forum and would have missed them otherwise.
My parents took over the Clock Tavern Pub in Ashted Row around 1946 and I started at Loco Jnr. the Head was a Mr Hawkins, teachers I recall,Mr Davies,Miss Hewitt, Miss Robins and Miss Smith.
Moved to Senior's later with Mr Philpotts, Mr Walker, Mr Wright, Mr Drayton,plus Martin, Collier and Harrrison for woodwork and Pottery.
My wife then living in Heneage St. also went to Loco and Bloomsbury St and remembers the dances mentioned by Lesg128.
I am sure the Ken Knowles being a year older was in the same class as my brother in law, Charlie Hirons and if I have it right was taught by a Mr Simkins. Mr Jones was our Head I think he took over from Mr Hartshorne.
I also recall fetching sheet music for Mr Walker from a shop in the centre of Brum(Anything for a scive)he was a great teacher and looking back they were all very dedicated to teaching.Happy Memories.
Chas.

Chas. I too am glad it took me so long to find those pics, so you where able to see them. Theres not that many of them about now. You where obviously there at a different time to me, as I dont know any of the teachers names that you mention. I was there from 1954-64. As you are new to the forum you might not know, but if you go to the "search" link at the top of the page, and type in Loxton Street school, you will get all the other bits of info that has been posted in the last few years. Great to hear from you. Barry.

Hi Jim
I see Adams St. crossed Heneage St. I have a cousin whose Mom and Dad lived there. Name is Ken Knowles.
My sister got married at (I think) St. Mathews which was on Heneage St. Maybe your local church.
Yes the Bosch were not very good bomb aimers in my case they were after the railway sidings down the bottom of Lawley St.
Did you get recalled for the Korean war. I remember some reservists who were called up for this conflict. I had only been in the army for a few weeks and one night, just before some of these guys were being shipped out ,they went berserk and smashed the camp up.Not many Brummies among them, mainly Welsh.
Les

Hi, Les,

Funny you should mention your cousin, Ken Knowles. I did, in fact, have a mate of that name, but I think it was before my Locko period. But this mate - Ken - lived opposite the top end of Heneage Street, in Dartmouth Street. Just wondering...!

No, Les, I wasn't recalled for any later campagn service whilst I was on the Reserve. And I have wondered in the past whether this had to do with an accident I had on the assault course while I was training in Lympstone, Devon.

I was in sick bay for about six weeks and when I came out they back -squadded me. Becausae of this I missed my tour of duty in Malta. This would have gone on my record and taken into consideration during assessment for requirements that came up later. So I was lucky in that respect.

I dare say the reservists who went berserk at your camp didn't fancy the idea of a further tour of duty after doing their National Service. I don't think I would have, either...

Cheers,

Jim
icon14.gif

View attachment 33077 At last, the first picture of Loxton Street just before it was demolished.

Hi, BazzM: I join you in saying "At last...!"

A picture of Locko while it was still populated...!

Until now the closest I have seen to Loxton Street SB School after my period was a picture showing a sad-looking edifice with dirty bricks and broken windows awaiting demolition.

I have to admit, though, that the tower of flats in the background wasn't there in my time. And, I suppose, neither was the tower from which the picture was taken.

Nevertherless, it's nice to see a picture of Locko whilst there was still some life in it...!

Cheers,

Jim Pedley (pedlarman)
icon14.gif

Hi Kermia
Will ask Cousin Ken if he remembers Charlie Hirons.
About the Clock Tavern was that near the cinema on Ashted Row?
Lesg128

Hi Jim
Not sure about top end of Heneage St. Kens father served in WW2. When he was demobbed, about 1946, he became a milkman. Your mom might have been a customer,his name was Wal Knowles.
Will ask Ken when next I speak to him.
Les

Hi LES.G128
The Clock Tavern Pub was at the end of Ashted Row number 115 next to a cafe as it continued into Bloomsbury St. Just before the junction of Vauxhall Rd and diagonally was Newdigate St where the Co-op and other shops stood.
Spent many happy hours in the Ashted Cinema especially the Saturday crush.

Cheers Kermia (Chas.)

Jim.(pedlarman). Glad you liked the photos. As I say, it took a heck of a while to locate them after all these years, but I hope they where worth the wait. Barry.

Hi Jim
Not sure about top end of Heneage St. Kens father served in WW2. When he was demobbed, about 1946, he became a milkman. Your mom might have been a customer,his name was Wal Knowles.
Will ask Ken when next I speak to him.
Les

Les: So sorry... My 80 year-old memory got it wrong. My mate (I think we may have been about nine or ten at the time) was not Ken Knowles - it was Ron Knowles.

Regards,

Jim
icon14.gif

hi ger22 van,how are you keeping,loxton st,it does have a lot of memories,me and roger oakly,used to chum about together. what about the small bottles of milk we used to get,and remember the loud speaker,that used to be shared among the glass rooms so we could hear the school programs,and the gold fish in there tanks on the window ledge of the glass room.look after your self johnny

Anybody in the 51 / 52 football team?

Phil

Attachments

• Nechells Loxton St Team 1951-52 .jpg
    Nechells Loxton St Team 1951-52 .jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 45
Back