• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Lower Tower Street

• Thread starter Thread starter 2dogs
  • Start date Start date
hi paul to be honest when i first saw topsys pic my first thought was its not lower tower st as it has more of a look of new summer st houses...the only way it could be lower tower st is if that was ward st on the corner...i also dont think its ward st..here is a zoomed in shot of the corner shop from my pic on post 25 pic 2 showing the corner of lower tower st and ward st..windows are different from topsys pic and the lampost is on the other corner..

Newtown lower tower st.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
paul i now think topsys pic is taken not on the corner of lower tower st and and ward st but on the corner of new summer st and ward st...

lyn

morning topsy you wouldnt believe how many pics ive posted with the wrong captions and its great when someone can put them right...i really do think that after looking at all the pics of lower tower st that your pic is of new summer st/ward st..if i am right well done for finding it because new summer st pics are very hard to find..i had rellies there in 1881..this is a pic of the houses in nss..i only have the two...see what you think..
nearly forgot to say if you look at your pic there is a little courtyard i reckon the houses we can see in the distance is tower st...ward st was and still is such a tiny little st..nothing to it really..
lyn
new_summer_street_jh_.jpg

its only what i think topsy i have no definate way of proving it so for now i will save your pic and rename it new summer st/ lower tower st possably on the corner of ward st lol...

lyn

Love this photograph (# 33) even though it saddens me to see the conditions our ancestors lived in back in the day. St Nicholas School is in Kellys 1896 under Church of England Mission Rooms between 96 and 97 Lower Tower Street
In Kellys 1903 96 Lower Tower Street is occupied by Joseph Dukes China Dealer and 99 by Mary Ann Eccleston, Pork Pie maker

thanks for that info bewdley..i sometimes wonder though that in 150/200 years time if they will be thinking that the way we live now should be pitied..food for thought i think...

lyn

Hi Topsey i used to live in Ward St in the 40s the people we lived with were called BOb and Molly Wallace.
the sop you photographed was on the corner of Ward St and Tower St.
like the picture of Tower St Looking down towards Newtown Row.

Hello, my family lived at No 44 Lower Tower St until 1954, not sure when they moved in, but in the 1901 census they were at No 24, so it was after that. One of the photo's(No 33) shows a couple with 2 children between Nos 44&45 (not relations), and over the entry(not very clear) I think it says St Nicolas School, this seems to be at odds with Kelly's (ref Bewdley) which says it was at 96-97 or could they both be correct but at different times, after all the sign is in very poor condition. Maybe someone can clear this up. Like to say, GREAT photo's. Dave.

hi dave yes it say st nicholas school which i believe was more or less next to the church...could be the numbering changed over the years but if mikjee spots your post hes very good at sorting these things out for us...

lyn

Padgo
I'm not clear why you say the picture shows the children standing between 44 & 45. St nicholas mission Hall/school was definitely not entered between those numbers. There seems some variation as to its exact position. The entry between 96/97 is one statement, but a directory lists it between 92/92. Possibly there was a link between the two which is not obvious on maps. The numbering on the streets was consecutive from 1873 to demolition, and did not change

Hi Lyn, I know this thread is for lower tower st but has any one got any photos of upper tower st that is from hospital st on up to st George's church

Regards Pete

hi Padgo,
On the photograph post 24 (1 of 3) on the right hand side in front of the van half way up the wall is house number 62. My mother and family lived next door going down the road which was 64 Lower Tower Street. Therefore number 44 would probably be on post 25 (1of 3), which is taken up the road , The Tyre sales and service sign on the left of the photograph is the wall next to number 62. I hope this helps .
John..

thanks for that info john..i am sure it will help a lot..

hi pete sorry i dont have any of that part of tower st...they are so hard to find..i know that both you and lynne webb are searching for any pics of that end of the street..will keep looking..they are out there somewhere..

lyn

Hello Mikejee, the reason I assumed that photo 33 was of houses No 44 and 45 Lower Tower St is that they are identical to photo No24 (2 of 3) Southwells, which is where I lived. Also on photo 33 looking up the entry you can see a brick arch, I have a photo taken in 1941 of my next door neighbour taken up the yard which shows the arch. Dave.

many thanks to padgo for sharing this cracking pic of st nicholas church lower tower st...its the only one i know of....thanks again dave...

lyn
St Nicholas.jpg

Hello Lyn.
Ref Tower St. Although St Georges church was at the top of Tower St, the rectory was much lower down, just above the settlement. My Mom and I went to evensong every Sunday evening in the late 1940s the vicar was Martin Cooper and his curate was John Morris. I also went to St Georges school until I was eleven, and finally I was also in the St Georges Cub Scouts, who had their meeting hall in New John St West, just above Summer Lane.

Changing the subject, Topsys pic No 34 is certainly not Ada Hicks shop, the entrance to Ada's shop was in Lower Tower st not in Ward St. Dave.

hi dave and thanks for that info...its always good when we can get some from people who actually lived in the areas and have better knoweledge than i do...do these pics bring back any memories for you..not sure if you have seen them already...the second pic is taken next to c brandaurs factory but if you look you can see the same building on the right of pic 1

lyn

newjohnstwest2.jpgnewjohnstwestrectoryhouse-1.jpg

Hi Dave,this picture shows St Georges school.It is taken from the corner of Tower St looking down Gt Russell St in the 1960s.Moss

Attachments

• Great Russell St.St Georges school on left..jpg
    Great Russell St.St Georges school on left..jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 50
img005.jpg Thanks Lyn and Mossg excellent photo's and no I havn't seen them before. I have added a photo of the cub troup taken in 1950. Dave.

Dave, Here is a picture of the Rev John Morris with some of the lads from the boys club that he ran. I think it must have been taken about 1951/2.

Attachments

• Billy Grigg bottom right..jpg
    Billy Grigg bottom right..jpg
    564.9 KB · Views: 50
Hello mossg thanks for photo. Back to the photo of St Georges school, did you know that there were a couple of classrooms opposite the main building,you can see the barrier in front of the entrance on the right hand side of your photo. I spent the last year at the school in one of those classrooms, the teacher was Stan Byrom who was a boxing referee in his spare time,and was seen on TV many times. Dave.

Hello Dave,yes i remember the two classrooms on the opposite side of the road,they were used by the boys and girls in their last year at St Georges C of E.
I do remember Stan Byrom,although not from Junior school.He was a teacher at Summer Lane when i started there in 1956.
It was the same Mr Byrom, as i remember him as a boxing referee in the Commonwealth games during the 1950s. Moss

Hello Moss, Yes it was the same Stan Byrom, I was told he had moved on to Summer Lane after I had left there in 1954. Dave.

Hello Lyn We have put together a few names to go with the photo of the cubs. Baloo and Bagheera were two sisters, Iris(2nd left) and Hazel(far right) Walleter, also Philip Lloyd, John Hale, John Bullas, Harry Lawton, Mike Moorhouse, and yous truly, the only 4 eyed git in the photo. If anyone can add to this I would be glad to hear from you. Dave.

Back