• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

lower essex st

Hopefully it will survive. I don't know if wrapping it means that DSM are preparing to pull down that end? Maybe it's to unsafe?

As DSM is primarily a demolition company I wouldn't hold out much hope for that part of the building. Though the best person to employ to stop a building from falling down is one who knows how to knock it down. So perhaps the building or the scaffolded part is just being made safe and the scaffold is just for protective purposes.

I would assume that they will knock it down. After all there is various signs on the building saying "Danger demolition in progress".

This picture appears in an article from Birmingham Post of January 1977, concerning the musical instrument dealer Thomas Smith, and is described as Essex St. Unfortunately the first column of the article is cut off, but in a paper from 1972 it says the company is a century old, so we are talking about around 1872.

The picture shows the first shop, lasting 20 years, and places it in Essex Street. However it should read 63 Lower Essex Street according to the 1892 Kelly’s Directory.

888F4E88-15FD-400B-8C62-84B8B444F8E0.jpeg

Yes, he was at 63 LOWER Essex st until sometime between the 1908 and 1910 Kellys, when e moved to 183n sherlock St

Back