• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

lower essex st

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
just going to the dogs is this one...such a shame...you can just see the ornate ceiling through the broken window..
taken today

Years ago I worked at W G Eaton Ltd, near the Sherlock Street end of Lower Essex Street - they're still going strong. The whole area around and about is very run down now, probably ear-marked for 'development' at some unknown future date.

Big Gee

What is it about Birmingham that they let buildings like this go and replace them with glass a concrete monstrosities that have no character? Is it something to do with the City motto - FORWARD? I think they should change it to BACKWARD and then we might see some of these beautiful buildings being refurbished and restored. That bit of the ceiling is the rose in the centre which looks to me like it has ventilation holes in it - what purpose did this building have, was it a factory? I used to work some years ago in Lower Essex Street, but cannot for the life of me remember this building.

Shortie

thanks for that wend...i thought this building had been mentioned before..will have a look at the link..

cheers..

lyn

I can remember going there with my father when I was a young lad to watch boxing matches up on the first floor.

charlie

Sombre look,, yes i agree with that but Creepy ?,, never,, It has a sadness of neglect about it now but you
almost "feel" the resonance of its earlier magnificent days,

Tall, strong looking and full of character,,should be restored to its former glory,, but it probably get
demolished then replaced with a faceless modern edifice thats lasts a 25 years, then plasticises itself.

If the building in Lyn and Ell's photos in post 1 and 8 was a pub at one time, perhaps it was originally built as a hotel? I wonder if there is/was a station nearby? Or was this a main road when it was built, a major stopping off point? Viv.

The 4 storey builing looks sombre & creepy. Thank you for posting, Ell.

No problem. Was suprised to find this derelict building surrounded by new modern builds.

Is there a listing for it (or not)? Definetely not Grade II or above. Not sure it is even locally listed.

Sombre look,, yes i agree with that but Creepy ?,, never,, It has a sadness of neglect about it now but you

Tall, strong looking and full of character,,should be restored to its former glory,, but it probably get
demolished then replaced with a faceless modern edifice thats lasts a 25 years, then plasticises itself.

have to agree with you on that john...what a waste of what was probably once a lovely building

lyn

It was at one stage a pub and I believe went on to be the regional office of the TUC. It is sad to see such beautiful old buildings left to ruin. There are similar examples along the Bristol road near the junction of Wrentham street.
I think there was development planned for the whole area under the Big City Plan, however I suspect a lot of that is now on hold due to the lack of funding.

Do you mean Bristol Street?

I saw some old shops at the end of Essex Street (near Bristol Street), including a former balloon shop.

Shops on Essex Street - Balloons in things by ell brown, on Flickr

Shops on Essex Street - Balloons in things by ell brown, on Flickr

On Sherlock Street - is this former pub corner of Wrentham Street and Lower Essex Street

What a wonderful thread. My partner and I (not native Brummies but now happy to be part of a great city) have often wondered what the beautiful building on the corner of Lower Essex street now in such a state of dereliction used to be. Such a shame to see as I have myself witnessed the wholesale destruction of my home town, Stoke on Trent by the incompetent city council. We should be able to fight to hold onto what's left of such a wonderful heritage, no watch it be knocked down to make way for the sort of modern eyesores which seem to be popping up everywhere.
Does anyone have any pictures of the building in better days, perchance?

hello fallen angel and welcome...what a great first post you have made...i could not agree with you more and i do fear for this lovely building...sorry i dont have any pics of it in better days but will post if i do come accross any...

lyn

" A much better building a bit further down the st, once frequented by a motley crew from EPMS, was "The White Horse " Happy days John eh ?

Thank you Astoness, I have been wanting to make a few posts for a while now but as soon as I sign into this site I am lost for hours soaking up the fantastic posts and the congenial atmosphere. Social history is my passion and I have so much knowledge regarding my home town but Birmingham is another world. So much to discover, thank you so much fro the warm welcome.

thats sad ell..i thought that building would not last much longer..cant be sure yet if they are only demolishing the left hand side...time will tell

thanks for the photo

lyn

Hopefully it will survive. I don't know if wrapping it means that DSM are preparing to pull down that end? Maybe it's to unsafe?

Hopefully it will survive. I don't know if wrapping it means that DSM are preparing to pull down that end? Maybe it's to unsafe?

could be ell..ive been past it a few times and the corner building looks sturdy enough but of course as we all know that does not mean a thing..

Back