• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Lowe Arthur Seal Stone Engraver

There are some apprentice records on Ancestry but I can't remember what years are covered. Have you searched there?

Just checked and the dates don't fit.

Last edited:
Of all the William Campbells in Bham & West Brom on the 1911 census there is one born 1867 Perry Barr listed as a Jeweller Gold Mounter.

Of all the William Campbells in Bham & West Brom on the 1911 census there is one born 1867 Perry Barr listed as a Jeweller Gold Mounter.
Once again thank you MWS for your record for William Campbell on 1911 Census born in 1867 listed as a 'Jeweller Gold Mounter'. I am almost sure that this is the correct William Campbell linked to my wife's grandfather Arthur Lowe who was probably just coming out of apprenticeship as Seal Stone Engraver at either at 100 Vyse St or 88 Vyse St. I thought I would include a TimeLine for this William Campbell with evidence as follows:-

WILLIAM CAMPBELL (TimeLine)

- 1867 Born in Perry Barr
- 1891 Census - aged 24 JEWELLER GOLD (writing 'gold' ending with an upward curve )
living with his father William Campbell (Widower) aged 54 at 316 Park Road ,Jewellery Quarter
- 1895 Kellys - working at 88 VYSE ST ? as a SEAL STONE ENGRAVER ??
- 1911 Census - aged 44 JEWELLER GOLD MOUNTER (widower)
living with his brother-in- law John Henry Redhall (Stamper Jewellery) at 436 Park Road, Soho
- 1913 & 1915 Kellys - Working at 100 Vyse Street as SEAL STONE ENGRAVER
- 1921 Census -aged 54 Remarried - Employer W. Campbell at home FANCY DEALER? with his new wife aged 37
he had also moved to 40 Alum Rock Rd, Saltley after WW1

( 1921 Census - Arthur Lowe my wife's grandfather had returned from serving in WW1 (1916- 1919) back to his old trade as a Seal Stone Engraver working ON OWN ACCOUNT at 100,VYSE ST )

Seems as though Arthur Lowe took over from William Campbell (his boss before WW1) by 1921 at either 100 Vyse St
We would still like to know if Arthur Lowe is listed on later Kelly Directories after 1921 up to 1939 at 100 Vyse Street ?
Also we are not sure where 88 Vyse Street fits in 1895 with William Campbell listed as a Seal Stone Engraver there?

There are some apprentice records on Ancestry but I can't remember what years are covered. Have you searched there?

Just checked and the dates don't fit.
Janice, once again thank you for your useful help. Yes I will check for any info on Ancestry about Apprenticeships. The National Archives at Kew might be another source.

We are sure that my wife's grandfather Arthur Lowe could sign his own name and read adverts by the time he applied to become a Seal Stone Engraver around 1902 or later

Back