• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Lost Erdington Street

Rushburn

proper brummie kid
Does anyone know where More Street, Erdington was/is? My Great Grandmother - Alice Jane Wood (Ne Sheargold) lived there before her death in 1943.

Rushburn, I've looked in my Bartholomew's Atlas for 1933 but can find no More Street in Erdington. There is a Moor St in Birmingham and a Moor End Lane in Erdington. Are you sure of the name? Or can you remember anything else about it?

Many thanks Lady P and PJM for your replies. This has solved my query. There was a mis-spelling on the probate record.
Astoness - Sorry for my error in placing my query. It has been a long time since I posted anything.

I have to say it was not very clear on the 1939 register but as a few house later it clearly said Slade Road I realised it had to be Mere not More.

Mere Road leads from Slade Road down to Brookvale Park reservoir. It would be interesting to see how old the road is. The houses are late Victorian but it could have been there before then when the lake was just a 'mere' as nearby roads have 'royal' names.

This shows how observant I am as I pass this road every week and have done for years and never noticed the name!

Thanks Janice, just trying to remember who lived in Slade House. Someone famous if I remember correctly (although going off topic). Can you remember when the pool was made into a reservoir? I know it was around this time.)

Having had a quick look at Google maps, Slade House may have formed the nucleus of the Brookvale Club. Any thoughts?

I was born on Mere Road as was my dad, before it was Mere Road it was Dolman Road, named after the man who built the houses and who presumably bought the land for development.

Having had a quick look at Google maps, Slade House may have formed the nucleus of the Brookvale Club. Any thoughts?

Brookvale Park Social Club is at the junction of George Road and Marsh Hill, being some way from Mere Road. However the Brookvale Social is in Anchorage Road and may well have formed part of the Club.

Last edited:
Just looking at Brookvale social club on Google maps, the main building certainly has all of the hallmarks of an older detached large house that’s been extensively modified.

Back