• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Looking for map of Sutton Road, Eardington in early 1900's

• Thread starter Thread starter Nick Avery
  • Start date Start date
N

Nick Avery

Hi all,

I am a new member to the forum, emailing from Australia. I am conducting some family history research and was wandering if anyone had a detailed map (with house names/numbers) on Sutton Road in Erdington up to the 1950's?

Regards

Nick A

Heres the best I can do. Sorry no house numbers, but if you give us a more specific year we might come up with a clip out of Kellys which might? narrow down your search. Click on the thumbnail, when the map opens Click on it again, it will increase in size. Hope its of use

Thank you Rod and hello Alf.

I am trying to identify the exact location of two houses on Sutton Road, Rustic Cottage and Melrose House. I believe these houses are not there now. However I was hoping to locate them on an old map. I imagine they were still standing prior to 1950??? Does Kelly's give this type of information?

Nick

Welcome Nick, I know this is a long shot but are you related to the Avery's that lived in Holte rd, Aston, it was quite a large family I think there were 11 or 12 in it

Hi Nick welcome, Kelly's 1949 directory does not use house names only numbers, what names are you looking for ? may then be able to give a number and approximate location.

Colin

Hi Colin, there are two houses I am trying to locateon Sutton Road in Erdington, these being "Rustic Cottage" and "Melrose House". If you could shed any light onto their exact location it would be greatfully appreciated. Regards Nick

Hi Patty, Unfortunately I do not have a connection with the Avery's in Aston, but I shall keep you in mind if any other info i gather reltes to that line of Avery's. Regards Nick

Rod,

I was born in the late 40's... in a road just off the Orphanage Road... which was parallel to Sutton New Road... As a child I can remember the big old houses on that road and the tall flats that were built when the houses were knocked down. What a shame.

I can see St. Agnes's Convent on the map, where I went to school for 2 years. Just off the Sutton New Road, I can remember having to walk down a very long drive to get to the school, and of course it was run by Nuns.

Is there anymore to the right of this map PLEASE... I lived in Welwyndale Road just off the Orphanage Road.... it had a cut through to Chester Road which was just down a little way to the Yenton School... by The Orphanage.

Georgie

Georgie

Do you remember Sister Mary Rupert and Sister Lionie, she used to frighten me to death, i was in school in the late forties but across the road at the Abbey and i do remember all of those beautiful houses and yes it was a great shame to see them go you would find all little cottages tucked away along that road towards the top end..........Cat....:)

Nick, no trace of Avery but Starkey Jn listed at 66A, Sutton Road, in Kelly's 1949

Colin

Hi Colin, thanks for this.

Did kelly's produce a directory every year? I believe both family's would have been on Sutton Road/or side streets?? from 1920's onwards?? What are the best resources available to locate a house number on a map? I am pretty sure 66A is not there now?!?

Hi: Georgie and Catkin: If you go on Youtube.com and type in Erdington in the search you can take a video trip around the Lyndhurst Estate which is being changed in some places once again. I remember walking by those grand old houses that were there before they built Lyndhurst. They were magnificent
Victoria/Edwardian homes with servants quarters and coaching entrances.

Nick, suggest you pm John Houghton he has access to many of the Kelly's directories, he should be able to give you a better idea

Colin

Do you remember Sister Mary Rupert and Sister Lionie, she used to frighten me to death, i was in school in the late forties but across the road at the Abbey and i do remember all of those beautiful houses and yes it was a great shame to see them go you would find all little cottages tucked away along that road towards the top end..........Cat....:)

Sorry to say that I can't remember any of the Sisters names... there is a photo of my sister in her class at the Convent (as we called it) on Friends Reunited..have you seen it?

Georgie

Jennyann.... thank you ... will take a peep... It is a long time since I have been "home" so will be interesting to see. Georgie

Thank you

Jennyann,

Thank you for that, I have just been on You tube and had a quick look i will go there tomorrow and no doubt spend a couple of hours browsing i miss old brum so much.............Cat......:)

Georgie,

No i am not a member of friends reunited any-more only G/R I found that i did not use it all that often so i lapsed, but i know i will again when i get the itch to look for some-one.......Hope you find what you are looking for..........:) Cat

The link below is a map of this area in 1890. Sutton Road is to the right of the railway and the next one is Orphanage Road.

https://www.british-history.ac.uk/m...&sheetid=8815&zm=2&x=339&y=357&ox=732&oy=3072

If you go back into maps you will find a continuance downward.
If you click on the map you can move about, also use max zoom and your wheel mouse to move in (hold Ctrl. down).
Most of the houses shown seem to have dissappeared on todays Google Earth but they are still there on the map in previous post. I think that the numbers on Sutton Road ran upwards from the Erdington Road junction (next map down, lower left) and starting there, maybe sixty or so to Chester Road back then so by counting the houses from the junction you may be able to get an approx location.

Georgie I hope the maps I sent last night were of some use to you. I think perhaps because they are early 1900's they dont show exactly the detail your looking for, but they are fascinating.

Back