• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Looking for Bramwells in Aston

F

Freddog_de

Hi,

Trying to find traces of my ancestors who appear to have moved from Epworth in Lincolnshire via Mansfield, Notts to Aston in about 1820. My GreatGran (Phoebe Lane) had the shop in Inkerman Street until the early 1950s. Most of the Bramwells I've been able to track inthe 1881 and 1901 census seem to have been in Battle St, Richard St, Gt Lister St, and Camp Hill.

Any clues gratefully received!

Dave

On the 1851 Census for Birmingham all of the Bramwells listed are:

37 Holt Street Aston

Joseph Bramwell Head M 62 Wood Turner employ 2 men Born Mansfield-Ntt

Emilia Bramwell Wife M 61 Born Leeds-Yks

Joseph Bramwell Son M 26 Wood Turner Born Fountandab-Ntt(sic)

William Bramwell Son U 20 Wood Turner Born Birmingham

Allen Everett SonL M 23 Shoemaker Born Birmingham

Mary Everett Daur M 23 Born Birmingham

Emelin Everett Gdau 3 Scholar Born Birmingham

39 House Fisher Street, Birmingham

Elizabeth Lynell Head W 80 Born Birmingham

Ann Lynell Daur U 34 Handle Finisher Born Birmingham

Eliza Bramwell Gdau M 23 Handle finisher Born Birmingham

George Bramwell GSon M 22 Brass Polisher Born Birmingham

Matilda Linell(sic) Gdau 11 Scholar Born Birmingham

William Bramwell GSon 2 Born Birmingham

William Jarvis Lodg U 20 Gun Stocker Born Birmingham

Lewis Bramwell Lodg U 17 Brss Polisher Born Birmingham

Hope this helps Dave

Lane

Hi Dave m8

Do you have more info on Phoebe Lane your gg Ma :?:

quite a few on the listings to check out.
eg Phoebe Lane age 13 in 1901, B,ham Aston Manor
&/or 2 Phoebe,s aged 34 & 39 as Wives, B,ham, Aston
+ loads all over the Country :shock:
RSVp & will do a check out for you Ok, Cheers John

There is a Jean Bramwell (nee name) on Page 6 i think of members on this list. She now resides in California but her parents kept a fish and chip shop in Farm St Aston when she was young. This may be of help.
A Wayne

Yr note

Thanks! Jean has already contacted me directly -- seems "her lot" are probably not directly connected with "my lot"! However, one tries to find the ascending & descending spirals through the BMDs with no info of parents!

Thanks again
javascript:emoticon(':D')
Very Happy
Dave

aewayne said:
There is a Jean Bramwell (nee name) on Page 6 i think of members on this list. She now resides in California but her parents kept a fish and chip shop in Farm St Aston when she was young. This may be of help.
A Wayne

bramwells

When I was a teenager in the late forties living in Aston I knew a Florence Bramwell, she hailed from Catherine Street Aston, a little older than me. I believe she used to attend Night School at Upper Thomas Street. Night School started again in 1946.

Bramwells in Aston

Hi Harvey,

Thanks for the link -- I suspect Florence might well be the older sister of Mandy, who contacted me a while back. She's just moved so as soon as I get her new email, I'll pass on the info

Ta again

Dave

When I was a teenager in the late forties living in Aston I knew a Florence Bramwell, she hailed from Catherine Street Aston, a little older than me. I believe she used to attend Night School at Upper Thomas Street. Night School started again in 1946

A Florence Bramwell lived in Catherine St Aston in the late 1940s/early 1950s

I would be interested to trace descendants of my great-great uncle Maurice Mossop (1878-1935) whose daughter Frances Lilian married Stanley Beresford BRAMWELL at Christ Church, Sparkbrook, on 24th December 1921. I believe they had at least two children, namely Alan and Keith Bramwell. Although I have discovered that Stanley Bramwell originated in Derbyshire, and I think that he may have moved to Solihull, I have not been able to trace him after the 1930s. I wonder whether any Bramwell researchers might be able to shed light on this particular family? I have researched the Mossop family in detail but have drawn a blank on this particular branch, so would be glad of any ideas.

Alan S Bramwell birth reg. 4th quarter 1926, mother's maiden name Mossopp (2p's).

Electoral roll, 1925: Stanley Beresford Bramwell, Mary Bramwell and Leonard Bramwell are at 34 Sarehole Road, Sparkhill.
In 1930 Stanley Beresford Bramwell and Frances Lilian Bramwell are at that address.

Re: Yr note

Thanks! Jean has already contacted me directly -- seems "her lot" are probably not directly connected with "my lot"! However, one tries to find the ascending & descending spirals through the BMDs with no info of parents!

Thanks again
javascript:emoticon(':D')
Very Happy
Dave
Hello Dave , it seems our side was from the Llitchfield area my great grandfather was buried there . my niecce is doing the research ,& i am sure yiu are way ahead of her .

Jean.

There were a family of Bramwells living down the road from where I lived in Acfold Road, Handsworth Wood in the 60's. The children's names were Kevin, Sharon and there was a younger brother called Lyndon. They moved up to The Spinney which again was in Handsworth Wood.

Back